SRT4...how good are they really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRT4...how good are they really?

I see a ton of people driving them. I can get one for $8995...its an 03 and has 55k miles. I am thinking of trading my Lancer in for it...only because one, the Lancer is too slow and two, I dont feel like paying on this shit forever. But dont know how reliable an SRT4 Neon would be. I am not one to love domestic cars. Dont care for Mopar, but it seems the SRT4 has a real strong following crowd, and the power they make combined with the light weight of the car probably makes it fly. Moreso than my heavy hunk of metal with a PZEV motor.
    VIP Status.

Ive always wandered myself, but i cant get passed the fact that it's a Chrysler product. I love Ram trucks and they've made some nice cars over the years and in the past, but i dont know. I just dont like Chryslers. Maybe im biased because i've had nothing but bad luck with them or something.

That and i've heard that alot of the guys that drive them are douchebags.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

They're not terribly unreliable, but it's not easy to find one that wasn't beaten on. People often don't know how to properly care for turbo cars, and NOBODY buys an SRT-4 without the intention of hammering on it a bit.

A 2003 was probably purchased in mid to late 2002. That means it's an 8 year old turbo car, based on the lowest of the low end model from one of the most notoriously unreliable American car companies.

I had a 2002 Grand Prix GTP back in 2007. At that time, it was only a 5-6 year old car. Used, with 48k on it. Appeared to be well maintained. Similar situation... used forced induction... It lasted me a year before it blew up on me... and I maintained it properly!

My advice, don't buy an STR-4 for anything but a toy. They're fantastic cars to play with, but they're not going to make reliable daily drivers anymore. Not unless you have the money and/or knowhow to fix them when they break.

h22sparkle will tell you they're great... and he's done a lot with his. But he's the kind of guy that will go outside and pull a motor out without hesitation. If you're at all lazy like me and don't like fixing your cars every weekend... stay away!

The Lancer is new-ish. I understand not wanting to keep paying for it... but it's probably cheaper to keep paying for that than to take on the potential problems of an 8 year old STR-4. If you want speed, boost the Lancer. Or spray it.

Comment

My buddy has had 2 of them.
        One got crashed in Florida but he loved it and the next he bought from some kid that owns a shop[ and the motor blew about 3 months after he bought it. hes getting a motor now but he still loves them, and he used to be a honda man.
        I like them..they sound mean as hell and they are pretty quick..but like Deev said...make sure you get it checked out because that shit was def 100% beat on.

Comment

I find them all stock, untouched/unraep'd up here where I'm from for under 10k all the time. Recently I drove a black one. It was nice.

life is good.

Comment

i could never get past the fact that its a neon period! they are a pain in the ass to work on.

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
            DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

I hear you....thing is, I need a DD and I KNOW people beat the fuck out of the SRT4s....and yes they are all douches around here. Probably going to stick with the Lancer. Once the warranty and extended warranty is up....time to spray. Only thing is, it has a pos PLASTIC intake manifold. What the FUCK is up with that?
              VIP Status.

Comment

like any other car the drivers is what fucked up the image of the srt4, but i love em. my boy has one sitting at 420whp pretty sick
                UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

420's a lot...thats respectable, and my DSM was pushing upwards of 450awhp. The only thing is....I wouldnt want 400+ on a FWD car. It will take a hell of a lot of work to keep the wheels from hopping or spinning to no end. On an AWD like my Talon, yea no problem for me. On FWD...275ish wheel max for me.
                  VIP Status.

Comment

They're not bad, I rode in one. Good DDs if u can find one cheap

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I thought SRT-4s were AWD...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                        No, I believe they're only FF. Aren't they?

life is good.

Comment

Nope they are all FWD!
                          VIP Status.

Comment

Yeah they're FF.

And if you were gunna go that route of getting rid of the lancer...why not just get like an evo 8...instead of a neon lol.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                            I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                              Caliber SRT-4 is.

Im just waiting from Sparkles to chime in... anytime now..
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                              X