Run away prius safely stopped in CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
    plus i never said a word about the steering. just that turning the car off at 90mph is deadly....please go drive your prius at 90mph on the highway with traffic and shut it all off...have fun.
    Actually, what you said was that shutting off a car while you're driving is just as deadly as a collision at full speed.

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
    yeah most of them wont just go into nuetral. and turning the car off is just as deadly since its all powderd
    Wow .. Stopping without power assisted brakes or steering? I don’t understand how this equated to deadly in your mind. Dangerous, yeah maybe, but as deadly as a full speed collision? Also, why wait till its doing 90, as soon as its out of your control, turn it off. It doesn’t matter is its a Prius, or an Accord, or a Cutlass Supreme . It’s steering off the road and stopping without power assist. That’s all that happens. Turn off the key, no power, brakes are harder to push, steering is harder to turn. End of story

plus they had a new artical out and teh cop did try to tell him put it in nuetral. but the guy refused said he " thought the car would FLIP" if he had put it into neutral.......now thats easily the dumbest thing i have heard.
    TRUTH ... Unfortunately, Toyota CAN'T recall stupid drivers and replace them.
    Last edited by AstroVannin; 03-10-2010, 04:24 PM.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
    dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
      Also if the goverment was just looking to bash toyota and help the big three how come they didnt say shit about the toyota problems with sludge engines...twisted truck beds...rusted frames.........

Sludge engines were before the govts heavy financial interest in GM no? I thought that was a couple years ago wasnt it?

Truck frames. Yeah, OK, they got rusty ... they also replaced them regardless of milage and usage, OR bought back the truck for much more then its worth. Kinda hard to make that look bad. Makes shitty headlines too.

Truck beds.. Ok I got nothing.

A better comparison would be the Ford explorer fiasco. 193 Confirmed deaths, no stop sales order. Yeah it was all over the news, but since some people died, that makes sense. With Toyota, I thought it was some 19 deaths since 2000 .. and they get the stop sales order on almost ALL thier models. Not to mention that govt official( I dont remember who) who's statment to the public was "STOP DRIVING YOUR TOYOTA". I could all be a coincidence, but that seems unlikley at best.

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
      Although the ps will shutoff and your steering wheel may lock. Still.
      On most (if not ALL) cars, you can shut off the engine while its in gear, but it wont allow the key to go far enough back to cause the steering to lock.

I had a friend that thought it was the funniest thing in the world to shut the car off while somone was driving. It was fucking irritating, but thats about it. Steering never locked, I clearly didnt die. Shit, it was even in a Toyota (I had a 4Runner at the time).

All you had to do was put it in N, start the engine, and put it back in drive... Then remind said friend that if they didnt fuck off they were going to be spending some time walking.
      Last edited by AstroVannin; 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM.

dustin, you are a dick!

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
        On most (if not ALL) cars, you can shut off the engine while its in gear, but it wont allow the key to go far enough back to cause the steering to lock.

I had a friend that thought it was the funniest thing in the world to shut the car off while somone was driving. It was fucking irritating, but thats about it. Steering never locked, I clearly didnt die. Shit, it was even in a Toyota (I had a 4Runner at the time).

All you had to do was put it in N, start the engine, and put it back in drive... Then remind said friend that if they didnt fuck off they were going to be spending some time walking.
        That's why these drivers are retarded. They panic. Turn the damn car off. Better than driving 90 into the interstate and killing your whole family. Im just saying... You have time to call 911 but cant even think, hey turn off the car........... hmm

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
          you do realize the media and american people SLAMMMMM all recalls about fords/chevys and any import recal is no big deal. This is the first time they really got on a import manufacture. Every problem the big three have is all over the news and people go run and buy safe imports. There was a book by Ralph Nader (US GOVERMENT) called "unsafe at any speeds" bashing the shit outta GM. Also if the goverment was just looking to bash toyota and help the big three how come they didnt say shit about the toyota problems with sludge engines...twisted truck beds...rusted frames.........The biggest winner here is not GM, Ford or Chysler...
          Its Hyundai. Toyota has been leaking sales to Hyundai for years now...and this is gunnamake them look golden. Especially with the new Sonata coming.
          agree...hyundais are awesome cars.
          91-accord

watch quick clip: 10-80 mph

Comment

speeking as someone whos car doesnt have ps... if u shut the car off and flipped the key to the on position so it wouldnt lock u should be fine... no ps at 90mph feels the same as a car with ps... if i recall a lot of cars ps isnt even active after certain speeds... ive shut cars off numerous times at speed to reset a computer or for multiple reasons... never deadly lol. like stated before the brakes should at least stop the car one more time... and if not the good old ebrake should stop the car.... its called an EMERGENCY brake.... for fucks sake, im dissapointed people had to lose their lives over this... i understand its a fast acting situation, but people should learn such simple things about a car before being allowed to drive.... the general public use cars as tools and never leanr anything about the functionality, and in a lot of these cases its the difference between life and death.

also... the whole debate over whether or not they could put the car in neutral is ridiculous... they very well could have.... fuck, put the car in reverse for all i care. reverse wouldnt even be deadly.... all cars have a lockout of reverse and park while in motion.... calling the police is at the VERY bottom of the logical list of shit u could do...

i think its funny that cars didnt always have power brakes and steering... these were BIG 4000LB plus cars... but stopping ur 2000LB prius without either must be impossible...
            Last edited by J-specCb4; 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM.

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

Here's what you guys are forgetting. A prius dosent have belt driven power steering. It's electric because the engine isn't always running. It also can't have brakes tha are dependant on the engine running for the same reason. The engine is on while it's on the highway. Hybrid electric motors only work at speeds below 30 or 40 mph. The man could have turned the key off then back on so the engine was off then stop the car the same as if his engine was on.

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
                I think if you turn the key switch off...the car turns off. Hmm....

Although the ps will shutoff and your steering wheel may lock. Still.
                The key doesnt need to be taken out to switch off the car.

By the way, I heard there was some next shit on the news about a woman in Jersey in a Prius, same problem, I guarantee there will be another one tomorrow. This time the Prius Is gonna get locked and speed in reverse
                FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
                Pm meX
                I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
                H22A Swap
                I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

i think im gonna go buy a prius and cash in!

"Tucking tires and wires."
                  The Chronicles.

Comment

The prius has a push button start. On the new ones you don't need to put the key in the hole. As long as you have the key on you, you can unlock and lock the car by touching the door handle, and start the thing by pushing the button.

Anyways, the best thing to do in this case is to put the thing in nuetral.

My swap thread
                    Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

This thread still interests me that people posting in here don't understand that some people actually know anything about cars.

If this happened to my flatmate she would have done that same thing as that guy, Sure you can go on about how they should have done this, or done that.
                      But at the end of the day - They don't know what to do.

To them turning the car off means they lose control, the steering locks, the brakes won't work, and neutral would just be stupid.

Is it really that hard for you guys to believe that someone could not understand how a car works?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Darwinisim?

dustin, you are a dick!

Comment

look its the new toyota snowmobile.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Turns out this jackass staged the whole thing. He's bankrupt and in foreclosure. He was looking for a payday. I hope they put his ass in jail and gets everything he owns repossed. I unfortunately work for Toyota and get all these fucktards looking for a payday coming in the door, trying to scam my dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                              Is it really that hard for you guys to believe that someone could not understand how a car works?
                              Of course it is! Most of us are mechanics. But beyond that, you don't need to know how a car works to know about when the power is engaged, and when it isn't.

My swap thread
                              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                                But beyond that, you don't need to know how a car works to know about when the power is engaged, and when it isn't.
                                As I said, that comment was directly referring to the fact that we DO know about cars, yet other people don't.

Exactly - When the power is disengaged, the steering locks, it won't come out of park, and the brakes probably don't work either - That is their understanding.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X