No announcement yet.

Run away prius safely stopped in CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is where technology isnt soo cool. sometimes just having the caveman shit will save you're life.

Comment

Off Topic

Pretty darn close but does anyone know about the fitment?
      91-accord

watch quick clip: 10-80 mph

Comment

Turning off the car. Couldnt that lock up the wheels + steering wheel? I was discussing this with my dad. I havnt heard of anyone put in in neutral yet.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Amen brother!

My Fit is electronic... one of the few things I hate about it. Thankfully, Honda hasn't had similar issues!

Shifting into neutral will definitely stop the car. The engine will rev up, and probably blow. But it will stop. Blow your engine, take it to Toyota, and demand your money back so you can go buy a Honda.

The Insight is a better buy anyway.
          Win. Toyotas are for 60 + year old retirees from Boca anyways. Fuck em.

Throttle Cable ftmfw bitches.

Comment

I'm suprised no-one in the media has commented "computers are taking over the world" yet

In all honesty, it is a fairly simple mistake/problem, which has unfortunately caused alot of attention.

I can think of lots of Honda faults that could have caused similar issues if throttle related.

As to "why didn't the driver turn the ignition off or just go to neutral" Well firstly - Why didn't the cops tell him that (or maybe they did, and that didn't work) Or maybe he simply panicked, and wasn't thinking straight.
            Your in a car thats accelerating on it's own, the brakes don't seem to be having any effect, and you have no-idea what else to do in the heat of the moment - This particular scenario occurs.\

Edit: DBW is better than cable. You just need to understand the system to know why.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
              Yes, I remember in Driver's Ed class the teacher saying "People are stupid."

It was one of the things that I remember to this day.
              Actually that is one of the few things I remember my DE teacher saying. He outright told us that drivers are stupid and you have to watch your ass on the road.

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Side Note: if i was in an auto I probably wouldn't even think to pull the e-brake b/c it's probably located under the dash somewhere. But I would definitely put it in Neutral and/or put the engine to Accessory.
              IIRC most cars that don't have lever-type emergency brakes have e-brake pedals under the dash with a release lever. The way you said it made it sound like you'd have to pull a lever under the dash...

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              id pop the hood and pop the fuel pump fuse out.
              You'd pop the hood and pull a fuse at 90mph with a sticking accelerator?

Originally posted by 1990accordex-r View Post
              Turning off the car. Couldnt that lock up the wheels + steering wheel? I was discussing this with my dad. I havnt heard of anyone put in in neutral yet.
              That's the purpose or shifting it into neutral. The wheels won't lock up when in neutral and as long as you don't remove the key from the steering column and keep it in the accessory position the steering shouldn't lock up either.

Now I'm not sure if this is true for all cars or not, but in the case that you have to shut down the accord on the highway, you wouldn't have power steering. That's a no brain-er, but there are plenty of folks out there who drive without PS entirely and it is possible to maintain control of the car without PS. When the car is turned off (in CB's), I know that there is still enough pressure in the braking system for one more full depression of the brakes. I don't know the mechanics or reasoning behind why the car does that, but if you shut down the car and depress the brakes with the one full-power press you have left, there should be no reason you should "loose control" of the vehicle.

I understand that being in the actual situation changes many things and an individual wouldn't necessarily do what would come to mind first to us in that instance, but there's got to be a point within that 20 minute window where you should figure out the proper thing to do.

Comment

i agree with rusty. there is a suprising amount of ppl i know that don't know what the N is on their auto. the other day i was telling a friend who been driving for over 20 years that i sometimes put an auto car to netural to coast to a stoplight to save gas. she was like what! you will destroy the car! DO NOT EVER CHANGE THE GEARS WHEN THE CAR IS MOVING! on an farther note i told her i sometmes put the car in D1 to hold it in first gear. and she was like you will destroy the car.

the problem is more and more ppl are ingorant of their cars and don't know how to drive it when needed. one of these days ppl gunna get in and push a button and just off it goes. and they'd would have no clue what manual override is lol
                1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                  . im sorry too you my response was, "EASILY one of the DUMBEST things Ive ever read." really? you need to read some more shit out there.
                  Thats ok, you're a "google expert" with no actual first hand experience. I dont really expect any different.

I mean seriously, you have to admit that stating that steering without PS was "just as deadly" as smashing into an object at full throttle. If that is the case, theres a number of members here WITHOUT PS that are going to die FOR SURE.

Also, Il take a pass on "reading more shit" that was dumb enough for me, but thank you for the sugestion.
                  Last edited by AstroVannin; 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                  dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

this happen to me in my camaro when i was making a run down the strip..... I just braked untill i stopped and turned off the car .......

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                      I drive a 2010 Prius for work. I tested it out today. I pushed the gas peddle to the floor, and when I began to accellerate I put it into nuetral. It slowed down super quick, no problems. The only thing is you have to hold the lever over to nuetral for a couple seconds before it goes into nuetral, it's not instantaneous.

So yeah, people are stupid. They teach this in Drivers Ed class.

HEY... Quit applying real life experiences to this. There was a STORY on the "NEWS" ... that easily overturns your real life experience ! One was an "off duty cop" and we all know that they are infallable, right?

I think we should all just sit back and take all the information we need from the mainstream media. After all, they are completly unbiased, not motivated by a political agenda, and most certainly dont indulge in fear mongering for the sake of ratings.

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                      In all honesty, it is a fairly simple mistake/problem, which has unfortunately caused alot of attention.
                      I wouldnt be "unfortunate" if you happened to own a majority share of the competition, but because of you political position, could make broad statments on the news while appearing as an unbiased govt official.

Funny that about 10 times more people were killed in the Ford Explorer / Firestone recall... but there was no sales ban ... interesting. I guess the govt didnt own enough of the competitors to make it worth while. Oh sorry, its about public saftey .. I forgot again.
                      Last edited by AstroVannin; 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                      dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

I just read a new article about this (http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/co..._brakes/32768/)

I really think this guy is full of shit. He says he tried to reach down and grab the pedal....he must be one flexible fucker with long arms to be able to do it.

And the Dispatcher was telling him to put it in N but apparently he wasn't listening b/c he had to put his phone on the seat so he could have both hands on the wheel. What no speaker phone.

He later said he wouldn't put it in Neutral when told to bc he was worried the car would flip.

He also told the dispatcher that he knew the brakes were almost burned up. You mean to tell me this guy was afriad the car would flip in Neutral but knew how much brake life he had left... yeah right.

not only does he contradict himself but he sounds like the biggest idiot ever. I really hope when Toyota investigates this prius they find that he faked the whole thing.
                        "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                        - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                          HEY... Quit applying real life experiences to this. There was a STORY on the "NEWS" ... that easily overturns your real life experience ! One was an "off duty cop" and we all know that they are infallable, right?

I think we should all just sit back and take all the information we need from the mainstream media. After all, they are completly unbiased, not motivated by a political agenda, and most certainly dont indulge in fear mongering for the sake of ratings.

I wouldnt be "unfortunate" if you happened to own a majority share of the competition, but because of you political position, could make broad statments on the news while appearing as an unbiased govt official.

Funny that about 10 times more people were killed in the Ford Explorer / Firestone recall... but there was no sales ban ... interesting. I guess the govt didnt own enough of the competitors to make it worth while. Oh sorry, its about public saftey .. I forgot again.
                          you do realize the media and american people SLAMMMMM all recalls about fords/chevys and any import recal is no big deal. This is the first time they really got on a import manufacture. Every problem the big three have is all over the news and people go run and buy safe imports. There was a book by Ralph Nader (US GOVERMENT) called "unsafe at any speeds" bashing the shit outta GM. Also if the goverment was just looking to bash toyota and help the big three how come they didnt say shit about the toyota problems with sludge engines...twisted truck beds...rusted frames.........The biggest winner here is not GM, Ford or Chysler...
                          Its Hyundai. Toyota has been leaking sales to Hyundai for years now...and this is gunnamake them look golden. Especially with the new Sonata coming.
                          Last edited by Bcozzi71; 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
                            this happen to me in my camaro when i was making a run down the strip..... I just braked untill i stopped and turned off the car .......
                            LoL at your sig.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                              Thats ok, you're a "google expert" with no actual first hand experience. I dont really expect any different.

I mean seriously, you have to admit that stating that steering without PS was "just as deadly" as smashing into an object at full throttle. If that is the case, theres a number of members here WITHOUT PS that are going to die FOR SURE.

Also, Il take a pass on "reading more shit" that was dumb enough for me, but thank you for the sugestion.
                              i wouldnt know a thing about driving with out power steering....
                              /s
                              plus i never said a word about the steering. just that turning the car off at 90mph is deadly....please go drive your prius at 90mph on the highway with traffic and shut it all off...have fun.

plus they had a new artical out and teh cop did try to tell him put it in nuetral. but the guy refused said he " thought the car would FLIP" if he had put it into neutral.......now thats easily the dumbest thing i have heard.
                              Last edited by baracuda; 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

I think if you turn the key switch off...the car turns off. Hmm....

Although the ps will shutoff and your steering wheel may lock. Still.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Working...
                                X