Duplicolor Metal Specks, give it a try.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicolor Metal Specks, give it a try.

So I decided I wanted to paint my engine covers and whatnot today, so I bought some Duplicolor Metal Specks and gave it a whirl. Since my car is Apex Silver, I thought the silver metal specks would work well. To my surprise, after it was all said and done and the clear coat applied, it looks damn nice. Only thing is, the titanium dioxide dust fucking went EVERYWHERE. I mean absolutely all over the garage. I walked out of the garage and there was a fucking haze in there. My works shoes, my wife's shoes, my tool boxes....everything is covered in little "glitter" looking shit (which is the titanium dioxide dust) Sooooo I have to wipe everything down that will be touched so we "don't get cancer".

VIP Status.

Da da done.

but is it heat resistant?

Comment

The amount of heat the covers see is not going to be enough to fuck up the paint. I did my Vigor's few covers with basic "color matching" Duplicolor. Didn't hurt it at all...didn't even clear that.

But I did use Engine Enamel clear so it can be "chemical resistant"....ehh.
      VIP Status.

Comment

thats actually nice. i've always wondered how they were

no
        Accord turbo kit under $2k here
        $30 HID kits here Thread
        "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
        "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

WOW, that looks great!
          Nice man.
          Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
          CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
          Coupe MRT

Comment

Garage lighting is horrible and my phone flash isn't all that great...so once I put everything back in, I will post the pictures
            VIP Status.

Comment

Thanks to you and this thread, I will be redoing my 05 TL eng bay covers, w/this color.
              RETIRED...

Comment

Originally posted by new_beginnings View Post
                Thanks to you and this thread, I will be redoing my 05 TL eng bay covers, w/this color.
                Nice. It comes in blue, red, orange, green, silver. I wanted to keep the whole theme of the car flowing, so I went with silver. I was contemplating doing the "MIVEC" and Mitsu logo in the red, but ehh...

I used the Duplicolor paint prep wipe on all the pieces, hit it with a shop rag and then used a few coats of adhesion promoter. Let that dry (and it dried pretty damn quick) and then hit a few light coats of the Metal Specks, followed by a few light-medium coats. Let that flash, hit it with more light coats. Then hit it with a few light coats of engine enamel clear, followed by a few light-medium coats.

Now it's drying, and I may leave it until tomorrow night before even touching the parts. I ended up doing the radiator plate, intake duct, washer reservoir cap, coolant overflow cap, fuse box cover, spark plug cover and engine cover. Was thinking of doing the air box and intake tube as well but decided not to since I will EVENTUALLY get a CAI. But who knows, maybe on my next days off I will decide to hit the tube and box.
                VIP Status.

Comment

That looks really good!

And yeah, I've used basic paint on valve covers, and they're in direct contact with the engine. No problems. The plastic covers see even less heat, so as long as the paint doesn't have any problem adhering to it, it should hold up.

How easily did it go on? Any difference from traditional spray paint?

Comment

nice...

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      That looks really good!

And yeah, I've used basic paint on valve covers, and they're in direct contact with the engine. No problems. The plastic covers see even less heat, so as long as the paint doesn't have any problem adhering to it, it should hold up.

How easily did it go on? Any difference from traditional spray paint?
                      It went on the same as traditional. I did pretty light coats though, because I know metallic/metal flake paints can be a bitch if it isn't distributed evenly. Went smoothly though...aside from the toxic dust cloud, LOL. But no, really...I like the way it turned out and Duplicolor actually did something right for once (in my eyes)
                      VIP Status.

Comment

1. Take that cover
                        2. find trash can
                        3. Throw in trash can
                        4. ???
                        5. Profit!

That cover is so stupid just take it off they all look ugly. Im not saying you did a bad job painting it ( because you did a good job ) im just saying the cover is stupid.

Comment

Looks good. I'm a big fan of Duplicolor's paint lines.

I really like their Metalcast paints. I haven't tried the Metal Specks yet,but that looks great. Their Mystify 3 stage chameleon paint works really well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            1. Take that cover
                            2. find trash can
                            3. Throw in trash can
                            4. ???
                            5. Profit!

That cover is so stupid just take it off they all look ugly. Im not saying you did a bad job painting it ( because you did a good job ) im just saying the cover is stupid.

[Underpants Gnomes] Hey! What's phase 4? [/Underpants Gnomes]

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                              [Underpants Gnomes] Hey! What's phase 4? [/Underpants Gnomes]

no
                              Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                              $30 HID kits here Thread
                              "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                              "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Working...
                              X