Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white petroleum jelly...polishing shoes

IT WORKS GREAT!!!

I'm so smart...even though this is like common knowledge to anyone who's had leather shoes...well I never have and I was completely unaware of it.

My shoes were scuffed to shit so figured what the hell, if it ruined 'em it wouldn't matter.

I decided later to look into it to see what damage I had done and lol on me...it's a very good way to polish leather shoes etc.

apply with a clean rag...buff with a separate rag to get a good polish.

I found some brown leather sketchers that were scuffed (store going out of bus) this will fix 'em right up to...I bought 'em planning to figure out how to get the scuffs out at a later time. Good deal on 'em and now I know
    ____

Hmm. Good to know for the work shoes I hadn't even thought of that.

life is good.

Comment

Petroleum will eventually dry the shit out of leather, making it far worse than it was before. A water or lipid based substance should be used. Never petroleum.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Petroleum will eventually dry the shit out of leather, making it far worse than it was before. A water or lipid based substance should be used. Never petroleum.
        this man knows what he speaks of....i tried that shot years ago and had to get new shoes few short months later
        1993 Accord LX - Sold
        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

hmmm....yeah I was worried about that but everything I looked up said it was cool.

Good to find out though.

I figured some stuff designed for say hands would be good, but worried that it might make the leather too soft...course just gotta not overdo it.

Thoughts on hand lotion? We have some stuff at the hospital that tends to leave my hands feeling a little slick...wonder how that stuff would do...and what it has in it.
          ____

Comment

Hand lotion would probably keep the leather from cracking, but it might also make it dull. A proper leather conditioner is what you need.

Comment

Mink oil, conditions the leather, restores shine, and water proofs all in one shot.

Comment

well I can't find anything saying white petroleum jelly (vaseline) dries leather or damages it in any way. All I've found is that is will restore old dried leather and soften it. WPJ is recommended for dry skin/lips also.

I'll keep looking though...see if I can find anything else

oh yeah...on the lips thing...side note...licking your lips dries them out and will damage them more cause saliva is slightly acidic
                ____

Comment

Working...
                X