How to prevent from getting screwed by your insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to prevent from getting screwed by your insurance

Since everybody here are having wrecks left and right and everybody seems to be getting screwed over, I am going to lend a good bit of advice. I hope I am at help and I EXPECT all suggestions and help from other members as far as advice goes. Help your fellow member so that just in case, they wont get screwed

Step 1: If you have a pretty hard impact, GO TO THE HOSPITAL. This is only if you are NOT at fault. It dont matter whether its in the ambulance or somebody takes you, GO GET CHECKED OUT! I did have symptoms of a back ache until I got into the ambulance. I was later diagnosed with whip lash. If you dont go to the hospital then you will have complications afterwards more than likely IF your impact was pretty rough. This kind of rough to be an example:

I did that at 45mph which was the speed limit. A lady pulled out in front of me. You wont feel the pain right away most instances because of the adrenaline rush.

Step 2: Know a reputable towing company! Small companys are better because like down here, they are more caring about your stuff than they are about making money. My mom knew a good towing company and had the highway patrol call a small company in a town over. They have been great with giving me advice and looking after my stuff. Though all companies arent responsible for your belongings so either YOU go get them out or have somebody do it for you. This includes your radio and anything of value. Leave your trash in the car of course. This includes expensive rims, jdm parts, and just anything of value.

Step 3: File the proper accident report with your insurance company. In SC its called an FR-10 and you have to file it with your insurance company within 15 days. Im not sure how your state does it so you are on your own with that.

Step 4: File a claim with the insurance company of the policy holder of the person at fault. You will give them some information and an adjuster will call you after the claim is made. He is going to record you for a statement. Make sure you have a damn good story and dont fuck up. Any slight fuck up in the statement you make determines if you get paid or not. So make sure you have a correct statement.

Step 4: CALL THE LAWYER! Whether or not you think it is fit, call a lawyer and make sure you call a good one. The adjuster is going to be all nice to your face and make you feel like you dont need one. WRONG. Call a good reputable lawyer in your area and not one of those big time ones that have a commercial every 5 minutes on the tv. I made that mistake already. They are taking 33% of the claim which is normal for most firms. I have heard as low as 10%. BUT you get what you pay for just remember that. Whether you are hurt or not, more than likely you are going to end up at the chiropractor.

Step 5: Im sure the adjuster has called you by now. And the first thing he is going to do is try and tow the car to another lot. DONT DO IT UNLESS YOU HATE YOUR CAR AND LOVE BEING SCREWED BY THE INSURANCE COMPANY! They will attempt to sabotage your vehicle or find a way to not have to pay. They will try to say that you werent able to stop or your brake lights arent working or something like that. Your local neighborhood towing company will look after you if they care. This is why I say get somebody that you know or find somebody with great reviews. In my case, I did NOT let the adjuster touch my car unless it was being appraised at the lot and a check is put in my hand. I can PROMISE parts will go missing and you wont ever see them again. And better yet, you wont be reimbursed for the damages/missing items.

Step 6: Go to your therapy if you need it. Dont miss an appointment unless you are on the death bed. AND GET YOUR FREE RENTAL CAR! AND HAVE FUN WITH IT but I do not condone the acts of jumping rail road tracks, mudding, or anything of that nature. Just make sure it comes back with a full tank of gas.

Step 7: Keep in contact with your lawyer and ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS. Come up with a list and ask. It doesnt hurt to pick up that phone and call him/her. Ask your friends, parents, or the old and wise. GET ADVISE.

Step 8: Hurry up and wait. Insurance companies are SLOW. And I mean SLOW. They dont care about you, your car, or your condition. It can be a month before you see money. This is why I say call the damn lawyer.

Step 9: Receive currency. I am 100% positive you will get screwed out of your settlement for your car. They are old and they go by the local market value which is MADE UP. NightWolf only got $1100 for his wagon when it was wrecked. I only got $1800 for my wagon when it was wrecked (nov '07). Be prepared! Keep receipts of all repairs and body work. This MIGHT help you get a little more but not likely.

Step 10: You are on your own as of now. Find another car, or fix the one you have. More than likely you will be handed a salvage title. Try to avoid this as much as you can. It will prevent getting screwed again later on down the road.

Step 11: STAY SMART! Stay ahead of the game next go round and try to avoid accidents at all costs even if they are not going to be your fault and you THINK you will get some money. And if you have to choose between hitting the person at fault or a guard rail, please for the love of god you better rock that drivers shit instead of ramming that telephone poll and they run off. AND GET UNDERINSURED/UNINSURED coverage on your policy NOW. You will need it just in case that one ***got has no insurance or not enough for your injuries.

Like I said, please inform all of us with more facts and tips to help your fellow member from getting the shaft. I hope I have helped yall. Please subscribe and keep this in a safe place in your profile so that you will be able to come back to it.

Thats good advice! Wish I had it for my first wreck lol
    -Will

Comment

Im sure I have missed something so please give all advice you can!

Comment

Nominated for sticky
        My Car
        FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Thanks. I cant stress this enough. PLEASE somebody come out with an experience so we will all be in the know! Our cars are getting old and insurance companys are going to fuck us somehow. We need to protect our hobby especially for those wagon owners!

Comment

Damn dude, great write-up, info. I haven't been in an accident in years ::knock on wood:: I think the procedure is mostly the same for other states besides south carolina, I'm not sure what the claim deadline is for filing, but I think it's around two weeks as well. Anyway, hope you're feeling better mang

life is good.

Comment

THanks dude. Im just trying to help everybody.

And yea I am feeling a little bit better today.

Comment

thanks sir for posting this, i have been screwed twice already the third time, i made sure they paid for the cb repairs, and made sure i got my free rental too bad it was a kia but free for 2 wks...oh i've never driven a car soo slow

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

Lets just say my Impala will be seeing better days.

Comment

this doesnt just apply to our cars my moms pt was in a wreck a year ago and nothing has happened her insurance company they wanted to give her like 15k for her med bills. that was outrageous cause the ambulance was 14k and the other bills were 3k so she was out like 2k and that doesnt count the other bills. ohh and they gave her 5k for her 23k car good thing bout having full coverage!!!!! Now we wait to see what the lawyer can get us cause we suing the insurance co...
                    from this

Comment

Let me know what happens. You HAVE to let these people know that you dont play around and you arent stupid! Some people just suck it up and take the abuse! We cant let this happen!!

And since when did an ambulance ride cost 14k? I understand $1500 but damn!

Comment

oh and if your car IS repairable, MAKE THEM install ONLY HONDA OEM parts, don't have them pass off certifit parts as OEM, b/c they will not fit like OEM. Well they have been getting better recently, but back in 2005 some girl rearended me and their insurance tried to cheap out and put a certifit or some other chinese knockoff bumper on and the sides were'nt even flush w/ the quarter panel, they were bulging out and kinda rounded lol, thats how bad the fit was.

So, I made them buy an OEM Honda bumper and paint that one, install it and made them pay for the extra days that I'd be needing a rental car. Do what you have to and don't settle unless you're completely satisfied with the work, otherwise they'll walk all over you.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Hell yea dude, you got to have the upper hand or these cheap bastids will walk all over you. But I have heard one story that my friend was telling me bout how his friend was telling me he went to the insurance office after a month of not recieving money and he went to cuss their asses out. The adjusters got so pissed with him he only got $100 for his car. So remember to keep your cool.

Comment

great write up. i motion for this to be stickied.

New & Improved 93 Accord EX Coupe

what makes a man a man?

Originally posted by ric3rboi23
                            disrespect females, acquire currency.

Comment

Shag Wagon, I personally think a lot of what you wrote is BS and/or common misconceptions. Where did you get your information from, you're own personal accidents?

Right now class is starting but I'll be back later to explain what I think is incorrect.
                              "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                              - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X