Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit cards with good rewards or cash back options... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit cards with good rewards or cash back options... Suggestions?

So all of my credit cards have expired. I need a new one, and I want to optimize my cash back or rewards. I've never taken advantage of such things in the past, and I really need to!

My credit is impeccable, and I'm capable of paying off whatever bills I rack up in a month. I plan on using the card for gas and food, mainly. If I'm spending the money anyway (and I have to for my job) I might as well get something for it!

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I know there are tons of different ones out there. Right now, I'm leaning toward a card through Wawa, which is where I spend the majority of my money on gas and food ($20,000 a year at least)

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I'm leaning toward a card through Wawa, which is where I spend the majority of my money on gas and food ($20,000 a year at least)
    $20k?!?

I never get tired of hearing "WaWa" either, btw

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Wawa is slowly going to take over the world. Just you watch! It begins with breakfast hoagies (subs, heroes, grinders... hoagie is the proper term, dammit!)

And yeah, when I had the GTP, and premium fuel was $4.25 a gallon (18 gallons a tank), I was spending over $25,000 a year. I do 80,000 miles a year or more, plus I eat at least 2 meals a day a Wawa normally.

Comment

Thats crazy.

I think Hess will have WaWa beat.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Hess struggles around here.

Wawa has gas stations manned by people that speak English (a big deal in NJ, since we're not allowed to pump our own... we have to interact), awesome food, fee-free ATMs, and there's one every 2 miles in any direction in south jersey... they're not quite as common elsewhere (even though they originated in PA). North Jersey has Quick Chek, which is similar, and has some things over Wawa (like burgers...), but still not as good.

People who go to Wawa are passionate about it. We're proud of our Wawa!

Comment

I see, lol.

Cards from gas stations are good, but ive always heard that theyre good if you want to build poor credit. I dont think itll bring down your good credit, but i dont know thatll do a whole lotta good.

Comment

Well, the Wawa card gets me 10% back at Wawa and 2% back elsewhere for the first 60 days, and then it's 3% and 1% back after that.

If I pay it off every month, and accrue no interest charges, then it's like getting free money! Even at 3%, if I spend 20,000 there in a year, I'm looking at $600 for nothing. That's nearly 2 car payments!

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                I see, lol.

Cards from gas stations are good, but ive always heard that theyre good if you want to build poor credit. I dont think itll bring down your good credit, but i dont know thatll do a whole lotta good.
                i need to build my credit and i've been seriously thinking of getting a gas card for Speedway or Mobil since those are the two stations i use the most. With a gas card, it'd be something i can easily manage and pay off every month.

Comment

Wawa means saliva in Filipino. So every time I go to east coast and hear people say "Imma fill up at Wawa" I chuckle. No offense guys lol.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                  1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                  2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                  2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                  2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                  2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Well, the Wawa card gets me 10% back at Wawa and 2% back elsewhere for the first 60 days, and then it's 3% and 1% back after that.

If I pay it off every month, and accrue no interest charges, then it's like getting free money! Even at 3%, if I spend 20,000 there in a year, I'm looking at $600 for nothing. That's nearly 2 car payments!
                    True, I don't know Deev, how many credit cards do you have now? I only have 2, ones for emergencies only and hardly ever gets used. The other I try not to use that often either. If your question is which should you go with cashback rewards or like what, mileage points? It depends on what you see yourself doing with the extras you receive back. If you like to travel alot, look into the rewards points. Or cashback, whathaveyou.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Konigstiger View Post
                      Wawa means saliva in Filipino. So every time I go to east coast and hear people say "Imma fill up at Wawa" I chuckle. No offense guys lol.
                      It's the Native American (what tribe, I don't know) term for the Canada Goose, I believe. Though thinking of Wawa usually does make my mouth water...

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                      True, I don't know Deev, how many credit cards do you have now? I only have 2, ones for emergencies only and hardly ever gets used. The other I try not to use that often either. If your question is which should you go with cashback rewards or like what, mileage points? It depends on what you see yourself doing with the extras you receive back. If you like to travel alot, look into the rewards points. Or cashback, whathaveyou.
                      I have none right now. My last one expired, and rather than renew it, I'm looking for something better. Probably cash back, since I never have time to travel.

Comment

Best bet bro, hit up a bank... if ur credit is good, which I imagine it is, u should have no prob gettin a decent rewards card.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I never thought of going to the banks directly... would that be a better option than applying for a card offer I find elsewhere (direct mail... I get tons of em... or an online application)?

Credit cards have always been nothing to me but deferred payment options... Now that I don't really need to defer payments, I can begin to use them as ways of increasing my savings. If I'm spending the money anyway, then it'd be wise to make some money (or I guess that would be called saving...) The good thing is that when I get that 1-3% (or whatever) back, it'll be in a lump... which I can save. Rather than saving 3% each time, it'll be all at once. 3% savings at the gas pump would be like 8 cents a gallon... not a whole lot... but when I get a check for a month's worth of 8 cents a gallon, that's better! I burn 50-60 gallons of gas a week. So that's 200-220 gallons a month. $15 a month, roughly, at 3%? Not a whole lot of money... but $15 more than I'd normally have. If I saved that for a year, that's $180, just for owning a credit card. The gas is paid for regardless.

Comment

going with a bank issued cards is the best bet. sometimes,
                            they will give you little perks too. like depositing funds into your
                            account everytime you use their cards..

off hand, i forget which bank does it, but i know they do. and also,
                            the percentage they give you back is low, but adds up quickly.

:Back In Business...

Comment

I was going to suggest a rewards card, but you gotta be careful with banks these days. If you had the "cash back" deposited into a savings, that'd be even better because you wouldnt be tempted to spend it.

Comment

Working...
                              X