New law on the california freeway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New law on the california freeway?

I dont know its true but I heard it on the news recently ago. The goverment wants to make this law pass next year 2011. Its like a red-light camera on the freeway, if you get caught speeding over the limit they will give you a ticket for $300&up. I hope this law wont pass.

sounds lame.

what next? cams to catch j-walkers? cams to catch kids not using a helmet on a bicycle? seems like they are really trying to milk the residents of cali sense the cali government cant manage their money

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

California drivers may soon face speed cameras

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California drivers who race through intersections might soon be caught on camera, a move Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed Friday to bolster the state budget with speeding fines.

Schwarzenegger wants to retrofit 500 city and county traffic lights already equipped with cameras to capture drivers who run red lights with a system to snap the license plates of speeders, too.

Fines would range from $225 to $325. The state would collect 85 percent of the money, using the projected $338 million to help pay for courts and court security as it scrapes for money to close a $20 billion deficit.

The state estimates each of the 500 cameras would catch 4,800 speeders annually - 2.4 million tickets a year statewide. Speeders who blow through red lights would be hit with fines for both violations.

"If the revenues come in below our conservative projections, then so much the better for public safety," said H.D. Palmer, spokesman for the state Department of Finance.

Local governments would operate the cameras and keep 15 percent of the money. League of California Cities lobbyist Jennifer Whiting said that might be enough to entice widespread participation, though the league has taken no position on the proposal.

Cities in several other states already use red light cameras to also catch speeders, according to California budget officials.

Several previous similar bills have failed in the Legislature.

Public acceptance might depend on whether the state can prove a benefit to public safety, said Patricia Mokhtarian, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at the University of California, Davis.

"If they tie it to a safety standard, than it might be fine. If it's kind of perceived as a nickle-and-dime way of squeezing more money out of the speeding traveler, then there could be a backlash," she said.

The Associated Press

Comment

Nevermind its nots about the freeway misunderstood.

Comment

they already have those in AZ, it sucks, but you just learn where they are and slow down.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

And if you let someone borrow your car, they speed through an intersection, you, the registered owner of the vehicle, gets the ticket.
            Originally posted by chessboxer
            We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
            Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

there's already camera's on some freeways, but for traffic and to watch for speeder's. but they cannot issue tickets like arizona yet.
              The beginning of a new era............................
              165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
              184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                sounds lame.

what next? cams to catch j-walkers? cams to catch kids not using a helmet on a bicycle? seems like they are really trying to milk the residents of cali sense the cali government cant manage their money
                you know, florida law says motorcyclists and cyclists under the age of 20 are required to wear helmets. after the age of 21 they dont have to. its so retarded......it like saying car drivers dont need to wear seat belts after the age of 21. i think everyone on any kind of bike (motor powered or not) should wear a helmet just like every car driver should have their seat belt on at all times.

no
                Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                $30 HID kits here Thread
                "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                  sounds lame.
                  seems like they are really trying to milk the residents of cali sense the cali government cant manage their money
                  LOL .. as errr, opposed to the rest of the Country that can indeed manage their money?

Hmm ..
                  Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PointBlank View Post
                    And if you let someone borrow your car, they speed through an intersection, you, the registered owner of the vehicle, gets the ticket.
                    that one is easy to fight, you just plead not guilty and say that you didnt have the car that day.

if the picture doesnt match th registered owner, they dont have a case. my dad's really good at fighting tickets

i just dont get tickets
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

if the picture doesnt match th registered owner, they dont have a case. my dad's really good at fighting tickets
                      They have traffic cameras where you live that take good enough pictures to see the drivers face?
                      Originally posted by chessboxer
                      We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
                      Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        that one is easy to fight, you just plead not guilty and say that you didnt have the car that day.

i just dont get tickets
                        Thats probably not going to work b/c if you let someone borrow your car you are liable for whatever they do with it. So unless you plan on fabricating a really good story about how your car was stolen and then returned before you could file a police report you're likely going to pay for the ticket.

On a happier note, they have those sorts of cameras out here and since the magistrates don't really know much about the technology and such behind these systems they seem to be pretty lenient. All they have at your court date is that 1 pic. You could probably make a really good case saying that you had an 18 wheeler in front of you and because of that the light was not visible to the road. Or if its just a stop sign you could say that it was broken/defaced.
                        "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                        - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Im glad SC is too poor to have traffic cameras. We only have cameras on the interstate to record wrecks on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            Thats probably not going to work b/c if you let someone borrow your car you are liable for whatever they do with it. So unless you plan on fabricating a really good story about how your car was stolen and then returned before you could file a police report you're likely going to pay for the ticket.

On a happier note, they have those sorts of cameras out here and since the magistrates don't really know much about the technology and such behind these systems they seem to be pretty lenient. All they have at your court date is that 1 pic. You could probably make a really good case saying that you had an 18 wheeler in front of you and because of that the light was not visible to the road. Or if its just a stop sign you could say that it was broken/defaced.
                            thats wierd, if someone borrows my car and speeds and gets caught...i dont get the ticket. the driver does...

but thats talking about an actual cop, not a camera. and yes the cameras here can totally identify you, you shoulda seen the expression on my dads face when he ran that red light

we also caught someone who did a drive by shooting on the highway with the cameras because he turned at the next freeway exit and stuck out like a sore thumb because his beater was in a relatively nice neighborhood.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I was wondering about this last week. There's a few red lights cam where i live and one flashed at me when it was green and i thought it was a speed cam. Thought they didnt exist. Looks like i was wrong.

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                              Im glad SC is too poor to have traffic cameras. We only have cameras on the interstate to record wrecks on camera.
                              Them and NC. Theyre so poor all their lights hang from wires.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X