living on your own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

living on your own?

So what are the pros to living on your own?
    there's a lot more responsibilities that come with the task however i think in the long run it will make oneself a better person.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

In a sense, I have been living on my own since the age range of 12-15, with a father that was never there, didn't care where I was or what I did, or anything, as long as he never got any calls that I was doing badly in school. So I've been cooking for myself, making myself go to sleep, wake up for work and school, and all of that kinda stuff for a little while now.

Now that I am legitametly on my own in an apartment, it is basically the same. Except being 300 miles away from all of my friends and family, has changed me as a person a lot.

I think for the better, because I have now become much, MUCH more self sufficient than I was while at "home". Living on your own, and actually being able to do it while balancing all of the responsibilities is a huge step, in terms of maturity.

Assuming that you still live at your parents house and have never been on your own before.

Comment

yea im 23 and im planning on moving out after this coming summer when i finish school. i do have a pretty good source of income.

i know people say that it is a good idea to have your rent be 1/3 of your monthly income. if i work enough, it will only be 1/4 of my monthly money. i think ill gain a little bit more freedom while being on my own.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I lived on my own after High School. The college I attended was small, and didn't have on-campus housing. So I rented my first year with a roommate, and my second year on my own. My gf was going to another school but lived with her aunt during the two years as a way to cut housing costs. It worked well for her, but my last year was extra tough, not because of responsibilities in general, but it got expensive. I'd cover all my bills, and have hardly anything left.

Shit fell through financially, and I moved back home. Now after a year we finally have our own place, but I'll never forget the fun I had living alone. It gave me the ultimate in freedom. But, in the end if you're not specific and careful with your budgeting it can fail.

It's a blast though

life is good.

Comment

Similar story of npor, only since I was 15 though. Parents divorced, stayed with Dad, but he had an apt with his gf, so throughout high school, I had the house to myself, and i learned alot from that. I had lots of fun, but also knew that I had to keep the place perfect because we had apartments also to run, it was a big, monetary responsibility.

Moved to Florida for college, and THAT changed my life, made me who I am today...went from living in overpriced dorm rooms and apts, to a shoebox of a studio, then poor in what seemed to be the back porch of a house made into an apt, with no money to even eat. Its tough when you have to make sure you work enough hrs to make ends meet, for rent/utilities/food/gas, and basic needs.

Today, Im married, living in a cozy apt, thanks to U.S. Air Force. Its alot though, having to furnish your own place, and dealing with moving, its crazy. Its part of the life cycle...
          Last edited by cb7pr; 01-11-2010, 03:26 AM.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
            I lived on my own after High School. The college I attended was small, and didn't have on-campus housing. So I rented my first year with a roommate, and my second year on my own. My gf was going to another school but lived with her aunt during the two years as a way to cut housing costs. It worked well for her, but my last year was extra tough, not because of responsibilities in general, but it got expensive. I'd cover all my bills, and have hardly anything left.

Shit fell through financially, and I moved back home. Now after a year we finally have our own place, but I'll never forget the fun I had living alone. It gave me the ultimate in freedom. But, in the end if you're not specific and careful with your budgeting it can fail.

It's a blast though

That's why I'm in an apartment by myself. The school isn't big and there's no on campus housing. All of my finances are taken care of, rent was paid in full for the year, insurance paid in full, ect ect.

It does allow you to become more of your own person. I mean, nobody is there to tell you what to do or when to do it. You have to make decisions on your own, and if you fuck up, then it's on your shoulders. Like I got absolutely hammered lastnight, and slept until around 10pm tonight because of how horrible I felt. So now I'm awake, and I've got class in the morning. Heh.

Originally posted by cb7pr View Post
            Similar story of npor, only since I was 15 though. Parents divorced, stayed with Dad, but he had an apt with his gf, so throughout high school, I had the house to myself, and i learned alot from that. I had lots of fun, but also knew that I had to keep the place perfect because we had apartments also to run, it was a big, monetary responsibility.

Moved to Florida for college, and THAT changed my life, made me who I am today...went from living in overpriced dorm rooms and apts, to a shoebox of a studio, then poor in what seemed to be the back porch of a house made into an apt, with no money to even eat.

Today, Im married, living in a cozy apt, thanks to U.S. Air Force. Its alot though, having to furnish your own place, and dealing with moving, its crazy. Its part of the life cycle...
            Our stories are more similar than you think.

Except you're married, and I want to be!

Comment

I know when I get my own place Ill have car parts every where, maybe even in the fridge

but I need to find a job in a cheap city first

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Your ability to save money is greatly reduced when you decide to go out and rent. IF possible live with your parents as long as you can and try to save as much as possible.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
                  IF possible live with your parents as long as you can and try to save as much as possible.....
                  thats the plan I'm currently on. Trying to save as much as possible before moving out and buying a home. I have the career I want, so I have 25+ yrs left to work it.
                  -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                  -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                  -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                  -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
                    Your ability to save money is greatly reduced when you decide to go out and rent. IF possible live with your parents as long as you can and try to save as much as possible.....
                    I know this sounds bad, but thats true.

Rent if you have to, but try to find a small house you can afford and get a mortgage on it or get a loan and pay it back.

BUT, you're still single(I presume), so for now, id rent a small apartment.

You're rent should be 1/3 of your monthly, but also count into effect, bills, utilities, food, gas and the price of anything you're going to be doing to your car, lol. Also, another way to save money, if you can stand them, lol, is to find some room mates. But you have to make sure theyre good people, you can trust and can count on.

I lived on my own with me ex and the two of us managed a 2-bed, 2-bath apt for like $700/mo and we both worked at McDonalds. So it can be done.

Id talk to your parents, and if theyll let you stay at home while you save, then do it. If they kinda want you out, see if theyll give you a year to try it out and if you like and can do it, then stay out, lol.

GL though. I know it can be a little intimidating at first, but if your monthly rent is looking to be 1/4 of your monthly, then id say youll be fine.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I had to move back in with my parents and I just turned 27. I don't really have any problems with it though. I mean of course there are advantages to having your own place as far as partying and peace of mind and everything. But bills come along with that. If I could find a job right now I would move out though lol. I've learned ALOT in the last year from not having my own place or employment anymore but it's taken that to show me how important certain things are and what my priorities need to be in life.

Comment

I am currently living at home and I am trying to stay here as long as I can. I am 18, and finishing up high school this year. I definitely make enough money to live on my own, easily. But I am trying to get the CB as closed to finished as possible before leaving. My home life isn't great, and I know it'd be way easier living on my own, mentally. But I want the extra money, to spend where I want, and save when I can before I leave.

My Mom is handicapped and does what she can to earn money to support my family which consists of Mom, Dad, Me, and 3 younger siblings. Dad was laid off, then went through a couple dead end jobs until he ended up disabled a year or so later. I work full time while going to high school, and by full time, I mean I work 40+ hours a week. I am never home but when I am I fight with my parents almost constantly because they are for some reason convinced I'm going nowhere in life and feel a sense of disappointment with me. My Dad get's social security checks to help pay for things. I also get SS checks and sign them and hand them over to my Mom as they arrive along with money for my phone bill, car insurance on both of my vehicles, and half the water bill in order to help out.

I know I'd have more freedom living on my own, but I can't see myself leaving at this time because I know tht my family needs me right now. I do what I can to help them out with bills, groceries, etc. I also do what I can to save other places in order to get money for the car because that's all I have or care about. I skip out on buying clothes, I never eat out, I don't hang out with friends where money would be needed, and overall I save and save to put the money where I want it to make things better for me in the future.

So in certain situations, maybe it'd be easier to move out and live on your own, and sometimes it's better just to stay. If I was you I'd stay as long as I could. But I know that when I get out of school, (college) I'll be getting my own place for sure, most likely rooming with some friends.

The pros are freedom, the cons are the loss of that extra income you are using to pay rent/bills.
                        R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                          I know when I get my own place Ill have car parts every where, maybe even in the fridge

but I need to find a job in a cheap city first
                          check out the midwest dude, property is cheap as hell out here in most places.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                            Very true, the weather just sucks. I wouldn't recommend MI though.
                            R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                              Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                              Very true, the weather just sucks. I wouldn't recommend MI though.
                              You talking about Gus, the Cuban/Floridian, going to cold weather? Dont get me wrong, Ive known the kid for a while, and he's always in a tee, and jeans. I doubt he'll make a move like that.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Working...
                              X