Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So. Argued with a cop. Story and rant inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Argued with a cop. Story and rant inside.

He was being a TOTAL douche bag.

Well the story as follows:

My DAD, yes, old gray 50 something year old man, driving my 350z to the grocery store gets lit up, right down the street from my house.

My sister, who's passenger calls me and asks where i keep my insurance and registration. I ask what happened and where they're at, and she tells me they're down the street.

I run outside, socks and all and head over to my car and an SDPD police cruiser.

I walk up to the passenger side of the car and look at the cop.

"Evening! That's my car and my dad."

"You've gotta modified exhaust, why?"

"Why not? There's no law saying its illegal."

"Yes, there is. You cannot have a modified exhaust in California"

Ok, I dont like cops who nit pick at car shit, so I lose my shit. Respectfully of course.

"Excuse me?"

"California Vehicle code 27150, look it up kid."

"Can you tell me what the code states?"

He just looked at me like a parent would at their kid who just said "go fuck yourself"

"It states you can't have a modified exhaust that is louder than stock"

"I believe it states that you can't have an exhaust that exceeds 95 decibels."

"No. It can't be louder than stock. Look it up kid."

"You look it up. It says in black and white that it CAN NOT exceed 95 decibels."

"It's louder than stock. It shouldn't be on the road. You're dads getting the ticket"

"Do you have a decibel meter?"

"No, I don't. And I don't need one. He's getting fined for not having the front license plate affixed to the front bumper and a modified exhaust."

So. I got a fix it ticket for the exhaust, and no front plate.

the plate i don't care, its ten bucks. I don't want my plate on my bumper because it scratches my paint. I'll keep paying that. I've probably spent around 70 bucks in front plate fix it tickets for 09. But the exhaust, Im fighting.

CVC 27151 section b

For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
    vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
    than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
    less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
    Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section.
    Motor vehicle
    exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
    nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Fight for your right for the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by True-BlueCB7 View Post
      Definitely fight for the exhaust.
      I told him that I'd see him in court and to have a nice night.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

if the cops an asshole let him be makes no sense with arguing remember they are looking for anything to collect revenue not necessarilly fighting crime. Its recession its all about the money now.

Comment

i always keep the latest California law book in the glove box so i can look that sheet up and prove him wrong.

and i have a print out in my car from the official Apexi website saying its-

All A'PEXi exhaust systems comply with applicable emission laws since they neither modify nor relocate the required factory emission control devices; they are considered "direct replacement" parts. Such parts do not require a CARB Executive Order (EO) since they are not "add on" or "modified" parts. A'PEXi exhaust systems are "functionally identical" to the OEM parts during emission tests. Sound levels are tested on stock vehicles before the product release to ensure compliance with the 95dB limit.

done!
          Last edited by accord=inspire?; 01-06-2010, 05:58 AM.

Comment

You can fight that, and I don't blame you for doing so, but you might want to test it in accordance with that SAE procedure and make sure it will pass before you make a stink.

If it doesn't, modify it so it does, and THEN make a big stink.

Cali pisses me off for shit like that, and I am sure it happens with legal interpretation everywhere, but they really are a bunch of Nazis over there.

Also, I would print a copy of the regulation and put it with your documents so that the next time they give you shit, you can whip it out and tell them you have looked it up, and that you are quite sure that they are mistaken, and would be more than happy to challenge it. You may still get the ticket, but it will at least be at the expense of him knowing he is going to waste his time in court.

Also, if you test it per the SAE test, make sure you accurately document it (filming the test procedure would be really good) and have that ready too, so that when the court asks how you know it is legal, you can prove it. Ultimately, it is BS it has to be that way because the accusing officer is SUPPOSED to be the one to prove it, but realistically, you should be prepared for best case scenario.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Was there a dunkin doughnuts in that area. I notice around here thats their hangout spot.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                Also, if you test it per the SAE test, make sure you accurately document it (filming the test procedure would be really good) and have that ready too, so that when the court asks how you know it is legal, you can prove it. Ultimately, it is BS it has to be that way because the accusing officer is SUPPOSED to be the one to prove it, but realistically, you should be prepared for best case scenario.
                California law states that an office may write a citation for a violation of CVC 27150 if he hears the car while in operation. He really doesn't need any scientific way of proving the car is in violation. He was being a COMPLETE dick about it. And I want him to know I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

a BAR referee is the only way to provide proof that the car is in accordance of said vehicle code. I'm presuming they'll run it on some kinda dyno and stick a mic in the tail pipe. They provide results and a certificate of compliance. So thats my field trip for tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
                  California law states that an office may write a citation for a violation of CVC 27150 if he hears the car while in operation. He really doesn't need any scientific way of proving the car is in violation. He was being a COMPLETE dick about it. And I want him to know I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

a BAR referee is the only way to provide proof that the car is in accordance of said vehicle code. I'm presuming they'll run it on some kinda dyno and stick a mic in the tail pipe. They provide results and a certificate of compliance. So thats my field trip for tomorrow.
                  thats that bullshit did he also state the following that you had an aftermarket exhaust after he saw how shiny it was. I had a cop tell me that my exhaust on my car doesnt come stock. I laughed at him and said you see my spaceship... this is a dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post

And that is why Cali sucks car wise. They set a standard of compliance, but then give the cops a way around that compliance that basically makes the sound level standard null and void. It is a bunch of micromanager legal bullshit. Then, you get to spend your money and spin up the wheels of government (which are not cheap) all because he wanted to be a dick and the law is stupid. It is no wonder your state is bankrupt.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i passed the decibel test at the bar station at 93db with my greddy sp1. They rev it up to 4k and if you pass, they place a certificate on the back of the ticket. I photocopied the certificate for future incidences.

Just call to set up an appointment.

Comment

sure you may have been right but you sounded like a little prick reading that

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

cop was disrespectful by calling you kid in the first place.

just my opinion. I was not there.
                          MadLab Racing
                          Southern Maryland

Comment

I was a prick. Absofuckingloutely. I think its bullshit how enthusiasts get picked on. My car is STOCK besides the exhaust. Stock wheels, body. EVERYTHING.

If we're not making peoples ears bleed, like Harleys, shooting flames and laying rubber in the streets, there should be no reason to pull us over.

The day a cop asks me to pop my hood, I will raise all SORTS of shit. Then open the hood, show him how completely stock it is.. just to make him look like a fucking moron.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                              i passed the decibel test at the bar station at 93db with my greddy sp1. They rev it up to 4k and if you pass, they place a certificate on the back of the ticket. I photocopied the certificate for future incidences.

Just call to set up an appointment.
                              Were you stationary or did they have you on some kinda dyno?

Comment

Working...
                              X