Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof that tickets aren't for enforcing laws

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22089934/detail.html

ATLANTA -- Attention all Georgia lead feet: slow down or get ready to pay.

The state's super speeder law takes effect Friday and it will slap those caught driving well above the speed limit with stiff new fines.

The new law tacks on an additional $200 fine for drivers topping 85 mph on four-lane roads and interstate highways, or 75 mph on two-lane roads. Those extra fines would be on top of the original speeding fine, which officials say varies from one jurisdiction to another.

The fines -- expected to total about $23 million a year -- are designed to help the state's cash-strapped network of trauma hospitals. Gov. Sonny Perdue says he hopes the fines encourage reckless drivers to slow down.
    Last edited by rob_is_legend; 01-03-2010, 03:32 PM.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

wellll .. atleast the money's going to a good cause ..

Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

usually when you get a ticket, it tells you exactly how that money is dispersed between different areas of the legal system.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

In alabama a fine for no seat belt is $10.

noise ordinance..first violation $300. Second violation $500.

....if the purpose of a fine was to encourage following of the law and for safety, then thats a fucked up system if I say so myself.

Comment

i dont see how that proves tickets are not for enforcing the law. You break a law you get the ticket....the money isnt just gonna go sit in a room somewhere it helps pay for things in your local government.

Comment

Sure they exist to enforce the laws. You don't want to pay a hefty fine, so you don't drive as fast. Just because they mention where the money is going doesn't change things. Where do you think your traffic fines have gone in the past?

It's like saying "Bisimoto is making a profit on his headers, so he's not really doing anything to help the community!"

Comment

Va already tried that and it didnt work,so they scrapped it after a few months.It only applied to Va residents,so the lawyers argued it should be for all drivers,they tied up more court time with that argument
              BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

It makes sense that the laws should apply to the roads within the jurisdiction, and not be dependant on the origin of a driver's registration.

Still... yeah... it'll probably be fought and overturned when it turns out to be a hassle.

Comment

dont speed and you dont have to worry about where the money goes .
                  Need CB7/H22/Turbo parts? i got them..check thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
                    i dont see how that proves tickets are not for enforcing the law. You break a law you get the ticket....the money isnt just gonna go sit in a room somewhere it helps pay for things in your local government.
                    there is a law somewhere stating you cant eat pie after 6pm. its pretty retarded. granted, its pretty archaic and no one follows it but its still a law. if a cop gave me a ticket for that, i'd stab him

no
                    Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                    $30 HID kits here Thread
                    "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                    "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by LeosCB7h22 View Post
                      dont speed and you dont have to worry about where the money goes .

get caught once and i bet you wont ever get caught again
                      ..[CB7][STAR]..
                      MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

I dont know but it seems like a challenge. This wont be a sure fire way to stop all speeders.

Comment

Why is it necessary for peace officers to have quotas? A quota doesn't keep people safer.

I mean, our money is already taken away when we earn it, when we spend it, and even when we save it. Yet no schools and hospitals ever seem to have enough. Funny how that works out.

Comment

Originally posted by rob_is_legend View Post
                            Why is it necessary for peace officers to have quotas? A quota doesn't keep people safer.

I mean, our money is already taken away when we earn it, when we spend it, and even when we save it. Yet no schools and hospitals ever seem to have enough. Funny how that works out.
                            Quotas are a myth.
                            Originally posted by sweet91accord
                            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                              Quotas are a myth.
                              No. Well that depends on who you talk to. I know for a fact that CHP officers (california highway patrol) are expected to write a certain amount of tickets for their shift. If the officer fails to do so, his superiors can punish him for not doing the work he was supposed to. CHP uses tickets and pulling people over as indicators for doing actual work while the officer is out on the field in his vehicle.

This only applies to CHP as far as I know. Sheriff's and random PD do not have these kind of expectations.

Comment

Working...
                              X