Supercooled water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercooled water

Learned that you can cool water below freezing while maintaining it as a liquid.

Took this video in my brother's van.

Last edited by visualpoet; 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM.

It froze when he shook it? Weird.
    Originally posted by chessboxer
    We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
    Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

That is cool and I'm going to try it!
      Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
      Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
      Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
      Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PointBlank View Post
        It froze when he shook it? Weird.
        Apparently when you shake it, it causes air bubbles to mix in and that starts the ice forming. After I posted mine, I found a bunch of vids on youtube about it. Some pretty cool experiments, including a simple solid tap to start a slow formation of crystals. The water has to be fairly pure, and it helps if it sits until the air bubbles settle out of it before it starts freezing or it'll grab on to a bubble and just freeze up.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Clyde
          hate to burst some bubbles my new friend. i take it those are unopened bottles straight from the shelf. i believe that rather than it being purity keeping from freezing, it may actually be raised sodium levels.

atleast the dasani. of course coca cola adds salt to their water. to make you thirtstier.
          I wondered about the sodium myself, but I had to look up the process last night to see why it happens. Science says it's due to the purity of the water, I think a slightly higher sodium content would actually make it freeze rather than supercool.

Comment

Going to ask my thermo prof for further explanation.

Comment

i do this with beer sometimes.

ever seen an ice cube glow red hot? later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                i do this with beer sometimes.

ever seen an ice cube glow red hot? later.
                Done it with beer many times, I love a beer slush. I always assumed it was pressure and alcohol content keeping the beer from freezing. I've never shaken anything supercooled, just opened them and started the process.

I would love to see a red hot ice cube though!

Comment

i didn't mean to come off so... matter of fact. i was in an argument somewhere else about something else and my 'tude carried over. sorry about that.

the sodium issue make me think about the oceans near the poles. water temps are often well below freezing, "they" say it is the salt that keeps it from freezing, and what actually freezes up top is basically condensation, like fog or dew. making it freshwater. hence the panic about the ice caps melting and dropping fresh water into the oceans, throwing off the balance and all that.
                  I didn't take it as attitude at all, no problem, but have you ever had a mouth full of ocean water? It's obviously saltier than anything you buy in a bottle. Enough sodium to affect the freeezing point that much would be noticeable, I think.
                  There's another group of "they" that says the polar caps are doing what they do, we can't change it; it's part of the natural cycle. We haven't really been keeping track of them long enough to really kow what we're doing. There's also a school of thought that says we're fools to believe that we can make that big of an impact on the planet. They believe that the changes we're observing are natural and it's our own ego that makes us think we're responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                    Done it with beer many times, I love a beer slush. I always assumed it was pressure and alcohol content keeping the beer from freezing. I've never shaken anything supercooled, just opened them and started the process.

I would love to see a red hot ice cube though!
                    beer slush is good, lol.

later.
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I wondered if it was done by induction. Pretty freaking wicked to see it.

Comment

this will be the party trick of choice tomorrow
                        DEVOTE

Comment

i take it those are unopened bottles straight from the shelf. rather than it being purity keeping from freezing, i wonder if it is actually caused by raised sodium levels.

atleast the dasani. of course coca cola adds salt to their water. to make you thirtstier.

edit: for rudeness.
                          don't forget that salts are electrolytes...

The "active" ingredient in Gatorade is salt.
                          14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

The other day when I grabbed water out of my car, all of them were completley frozen except for 1. Now I know why

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Working...
                            X