TV buffs check-in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV buffs check-in...

Ok, so I'm getting a new 40" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV! Super stoked about it and all but now I have a bit of a conundrum. See my current 25" tube TV only had the component (red, white for sound, yellow for video) input. My 360 was therefore hooked up that way. What I would like to know now is should I invest in an HDMI cable for my 360 or stick with the 5 component cables it came with (3 for color, 2 for sound). Is there that much of an image quality difference? I've seen 10 ft. cables online for $15 shipped so the price isn't worrysome.

TLDR version: Will the jump from 5 Component cables (3 for colors, 2 for sound) to HDMI be worth the $15 investment in terms of image quality?
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

There is a difference between SD and HDMI. It's kind of like going from a VGA output to a fiber optic output on your standard fs moniter. I would jump on the chance if you can find HDMI cables that cheap, there's an existing thread here about a topic similar to this, I think the outcome was "be careful with cheap cables" but I can't remember exactly what it was pertaining to. Anyway, I would go ahead and invest in them anyhow.

life is good.

Comment

I'd get some cables or at least borrow a set from a friend to test it. I would think you should see a difference between an analog standard and a digital standard on a digital display. I notice a difference between the VGA input and the DVI input on my TV (DLP). With the VGA connector, all of the edges have a slight warble if you put your face a few inches from the screen. At 10' viewing distance, looks about the same though.

Also while component cables are capable of delivering 1080p, most devices limit component output to 720p or 1080i because component cables do not have copy protection capabilities like HDMI and DVI do.

Comment

i got the SAME tv but in 32" i love it..i got it hella cheap...

1080P is the shit!!! specially on ps3 and cod...

and yeah i think there will be a dif. from composite to HDMI...

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

It will probably only be a minor difference but i would do hdmi anyway.

Comment

DECISION MADE!

Thanks for weighing in on the issue guys, I scored 10 ft. of HDMI cable for $15 shipped from newegg. All the reviews said the cable would last, quality was good, etc. etc.
            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
            ┴─┴
            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Newegg rocks....

and for future reference, for anyone else reading this... when shopping for HDMI cables, GET THE CHEAPEST ONE YOU CAN FIND.

HDMI is HDMI. as long as the wires make it from one side to the other. Digital does not rely on cable quality for performance.

Comment

i just swaped from a comptent cable set-up to HDMI. and you can tell a diffrence and is worth it. also in regrads to the thread about cheap cables. is that cheap cables are just as good as the gold plated extreme awsome totaly rad cables. so save your money and buy the off brand to thats stores brand cable.(on-line is king for tech deals) sweet tv btw

***edit^^^also what he said lol

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Working...
                X