windows 7 network, xp laptop... no-go =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows 7 network, xp laptop... no-go =(

not sure if its just a coincidence or not. but i just installed win7 a couple days ago on my home computer that is hardwired to my router. i tried to connect wirelessly from a laptop running xp and it wont. it just stays on trying to get network info... and nothing happens.

what gives?

shouldn't have anything to do with your desktop as the router is the only thing between the laptop and the internet connection.

go into your wireless connections, and select change the order of preferred networks. Delete the network name in the list that you use at home and then hit ok. Now look for wireless connections and try to connect. It will ask you for your network key. Put it in (twice) and that SHOULD fix the issue.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the wireless network security (even turn it off temporarily). Try it - if it works, try re-enabling security.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
      not sure if its just a coincidence or not. but i just installed win7 a couple days ago on my home computer that is hardwired to my router. i tried to connect wirelessly from a laptop running xp and it wont. it just stays on trying to get network info... and nothing happens.

what gives?
      yeah I've been having the same dang problem Even after I re-installed xp and re-registered it with Microsoft which was the original issue as to why I couldn't connect. The webkey that works on W7 won't on my Presario running xp home

life is good.

Comment

Is there such thing as a windows 7 compatible modem? I tried reinstalling the modem software and now my phone won't connect either. WTF am I doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
          Is there such thing as a windows 7 compatible modem? I tried reinstalling the modem software and now my phone won't connect either. WTF am I doing.
          check your internet connection and make sure its wroking correctly. you can do this by connecting just the Internet cable/Verizon ect... (not the router) directly to the laptop or PS3 , XBOX ect... if it connects fine then now go to the router and rest it. you can do this with a pin and press the button for 5 sec. reconnect and set it up tru your desktop.

When you updated to Windows 7 was it a clean install or upgraded from vista to 7?

Links to my rides :
          1992 Accord EX*
          1990 Accord EX
          1991 Accord SE (4th)
          1991 Accord SE (3rd)
          1991 Accord SE (2ND)
          1991 Accord SE

Comment

It was a clean install. And I meant win compatible router. I have to most up to date firmware from dlink.

I read around, I've already disabled homegroup and listener on the win7 tower, but still no luck.

Comment

networking between xp is easy but from xp to vista is alot harder. there is like 5 things u need to change in vista to be able to network. i forgot how but it is alot harder since it is like dummy proof lol.

i don't know about windows 7 tho i have the OS but i am not upgrading it till mid jan when i finish upgrading my system...
              1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Unless you're sharing your internet connection through your desktop, there's NO WAY your Windows 7 computer can be preventing your XP machine from connecting.

Did you try what I suggested? Sounds like you've been changing settings in your router, which is why your VoIP isn't working anymore.

Comment

I didn't change any settings of the router. The laptop worked fine. A day later after I installed win7, it just doesn't anymore.

The router model is wbr-1310. It's the original, not rev_b. If it's nit wuin7 compatible, would that affect a wifi xp machine in any way? I don't see how, but I'm reading about a lot of people having wifi problems with win7, like it's denying connections.

Comment

Try power cycling the router. Routers are not Windows XP/Vista/etc. compatible or not, they are TCP/IP protocol enabled, and every OS built in the last 15 years is capable of handling TCP/IP protocol 4. Vista and 7 can handle version 6, but they still work just fine with 4. The internet is almost entirely still 4, so its a future compliance thing there.

It is possible that the 7 box is spewing network garbage and screwing up the router, but that is unlikely -- you can always test it by disconnecting it though. Most likely the router just needs a power cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X