How do you ship an Auto trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you ship an Auto trans?

I sold my Auto trans but the problem is: I live in Chandler, AZ and he lives in Fresno, CA. Does anyone know the most economical way to ship it to him?

Specs:
    -I found a pallet: its 37x38x4 (weighs approx 25lbs)
    -Transmission weighs 152lbs (MP0A LSD Auto)
    -Torque converter and flywheel apart from it weigh (35lbs)

I can build a crate, i just bought a 4x8' sheet of birch wood 1/2" thick.

But who does it the cheapest?

So far FedEX freight wants 380 bucks if they do a residential pickup and 410 to drop it off at the FedEX dock? idk that lady's on crack.

Any other options? this guy is getting antsy and I don't want to lose him as a buyer since he's the only one I've got.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

google frieght rates ....
    Members Ride sold...
    I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

Those prices are crazy!

It cost me $200 to ship an entire motor, complete, on a pallet .. wrapped in shrink wrap!
      The motor was also metal strapped down in like 6 places .. one strap broke ..
      That was from Washington state .. to my mech's door in S. Florida! Cross Country!

Yeah .. it took about a week and half, nevertheless .. it got there in one piece!

Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

damn man. but be careful. UPS fucked up one tranny I shipped

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
          Those prices are crazy!

It cost me $200 to ship an entire motor, complete, on a pallet .. wrapped in shrink wrap!
          The motor was also metal strapped down in like 6 places .. one strap broke ..
          That was from Washington state .. to my mech's door in S. Florida! Cross Country!

Yeah .. it took about a week and half, nevertheless .. it got there in one piece!

Tomi
          WHAT COMPANY!!!!??? I need to know this. Thats a hell of a lot better than 380. And I checked greyhound and the max they do is like 110 lbs.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I was considering driving there though. Its a trip of 611 miles from my house to his house in Fresno. Gas would cost about 70 bucks each way using my mom's Toyota Sienna which gets 24mpg, and would cost about 60 using my car that gets 29mpg. But idk thats a lot of driving. 9 hrs each way.

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Oh man I call that door to door service! Its not as bad if you had a second driver! (hint hint)

Comment

Originally posted by RagingAsian View Post
                Oh man I call that door to door service! Its not as bad if you had a second driver! (hint hint)
                yeah but that's 1200 miles! I was thinking I could do it in one day since they said 9 hrs each way. So I could just go there drop it and come right back, but idk, I might need to spend a night and take a break, 18 hrs of driving is crazy, I don't think Truckers do that even.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Well its not a bad idea to go ther,e drop off the trans and then spend a couple of days.

make it a mini vacation.

Comment

Meet halfway, have him buy you gas and lunch. that way its a bargain for him, and its only 9 hours of driving for each of you.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Well its not a bad idea to go ther,e drop off the trans and then spend a couple of days.

make it a mini vacation.
                      yeah, I guess I could, I mean when I first swapped my H22, I had my H22 in the front pass seat (took out seat) and this transmission in my trunk lol. And I drove 55 miles to my swap guy like that fine.

But I don't have a hoist anymore, and lifting this 150 lb brick of a tranny would be near impossible lol.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        WHAT COMPANY!!!!??? I need to know this. Thats a hell of a lot better than 380. And I checked greyhound and the max they do is like 110 lbs.
                        I dunno .. I fergets ..

But it was a trucking company, they just used a forklift from truck to truck
                        whereever they stopped at and continued .. and it was wayy cheaper to have it sent to my mech .. because they said, "it was a business address" ..

I believe it was alot more if I had them ship it to my house .. which, if you thnk about it .. really made better sense anyway .. seeing as how they were doing the install.

I like the idea of you driving it out in your mom's Toyota .. just have the dude pay the gas .. and perhaps the lodging, should you decide to stay the night .. which, in all seriousnesss, wouldn't be that bad an idea! Thems alotta miles!

Oh and .. food too ..
                        If he can cover those costs, which would amount to what it could cost to ship ..
                        he'd be crazy not to do it!

Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Have the guy help you or have help ready on his end. Its the least he can do since you would be driving to drop off the trans.

How much did you sell the trans for anyways? I have been kicking around the idea of having a spare trans.

Comment

Have the guy help you or have help ready on his end. Its the least he can do since you would be driving to drop off the trans.

How much did you sell the trans for anyways? I have been kicking around the idea of having a spare trans.
                            like 350 for the trans, but I'm charging him for the pallet and wood materials to make the crate since I already bought it. So he'd pay me like 370+shipping for it. I really hate the idea of shipping it to him, no one in AZ wanted it like my last F22 trans I had which sold in no time. But I gotta get rid of it, I mean its a freaking LSD Automatic for god's sake who wouldn't want it. He techically hasn't bought from me yet though

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              Meet halfway, have him buy you gas and lunch. that way its a bargain for him, and its only 9 hours of driving for each of you.
                              yeah thats the first option i gave him, but this is going in his 95 Accord which doesnt run. I think that's the only car he's got, but he didn't seem too enthused about it. That would be bad ass if i could meet him in like Palm Springs or something. And I am getting out of College for winter break soon so I've got plenty of time....no hours at work (discount tire....too slow)

member's ride thread
                              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                              X