Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IE8 and Google Chrome won't connect to the internet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE8 and Google Chrome won't connect to the internet...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I figure I might as well mention it here as well.

IE8 and Google Chrome won't connect to the internet. I don't know why. I haven't changed anything. Firefox works. But those two browsers act like I'm not online. (Pandora's standalone player also won't connect...)

I'm not running any firewall that I'm aware of. I haven't updated or installed anything new.

I've had some issues with viruses and such, but all my scan programs (Avast, Malwarebytes, and Spybot) are coming up clean.

I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything explaining what's going on.

Just in case anyone here has experienced such a problem, I figure I'd ask you guys!

are they "working offline" ? make sure that option isnt checked

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Comment

IE8 diagnostic log:

Last diagnostic run time: 11/27/09 18:37:39 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
      HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
      info FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
      warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
      warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
      error Could not make an HTTP connection.
      info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
      DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: yes
      No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
      Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settingsisabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server:http=127.0.0.1:5555 Proxy Bypass list:<local>
      info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.1
      info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.100
      info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
      info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
      info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
      info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
      info Skipped gateway connectivity check because of IE proxy configuration

IP Layer Diagnostic
      Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
      info The loopback route is valid
      info The local host route is valid
      info The local subnet route is valid
      Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
      Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.100

Wireless Diagnostic
      Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
      WinSock status

info IrDA protocol is not found in Winsock catalog.
      info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
      info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
      info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
      info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
      info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
      info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
      info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
      Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
      Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection 4, Device=NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
      info Ethernet connection selected
      Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
      HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
      info FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
      info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
      warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
      error Could not make an HTTP connection.

Comment

Have you ever used a program called hijackthis? Sounds like when you had those malware in your pc and then removed them they corrupted something.

You could try reinstalling ie8 to repair those files.

Comment

have you tried restarting your modem/router? mine does that sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by killin View Post
            I heard some routers just hate IE and Google chrome.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
            Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
            NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
              Have you ever used a program called hijackthis? Sounds like when you had those malware in your pc and then removed them they corrupted something.

You could try reinstalling ie8 to repair those files.
              I used that a long time ago, i think at cpmike's suggestion. I'll have to get it again... though I'll need someone to look at the log for me to see what would be wrong... I have no idea.

I just reinstalled IE8 tonight with no luck. Same result.

Originally posted by killin View Post
              Plenty of times. It's not my internet connection... since FF works fine.

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
              I heard some routers just hate IE and Google chrome.
              It can't be the modem and router... nothing was changed, and I've used these browsers for MONTHS prior to this. This is a new problem within the past 2 weeks or less.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                It can't be the modem and router... nothing was changed, and I've used these browsers for MONTHS prior to this. This is a new problem within the past 2 weeks or less.
                I was just being sarcastic. But it could be malware.. or some sort of trojan lying around your computer. I had one where it completely disabled IE but didnt touch fire fox.

Try running Combofix. It fixed lots of issues in one run.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Tried that one too... but I'm not sure if I tried it for this particular problem (my other problems that were plaguing firefox, aside from the constant crashing, have gone away... random popups and tabs, etc...)

I'll give Combofix another go tomorrow.

I was thinking that maybe a reinstall of SP3 would fix it... but i can't download SP3 without using IE!

Comment

download hijackthis and run it. then copy the log file into the body of the link below using firefox. That website will tell you what you need to remove.

http://hijackthis.de/index.php

Comment

Cool. Giving that a shot now. I didn't know such a site existed! I always just saw hijackthis logs posted on forums, and people helped out... didn't want to have to resort to that just yet!

Comment

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

"tagged as safe", but a google search of that string shows a number of online complaints that seem very similar to my current issue. Now I just need to find out how to get at that particular bit of info and fix it!

Comment

did you try just deleting google chrome and reinstalling it?

sorry if it was mentioned already. I had the same problem and thats what i did now i am currently using google chrome at this very second and mozilla at the same time lol
                          You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                          Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Yes. I deleted Chrome and reinstalled.

I thought about deleting IE, but since it's a part of Windows, I was iffy about that one.

I think that string found by hijackthis may be my problem, as it's present in a number of similar cases... but I can't find a solution, and I can't figure out where that is located to get rid of it!

Comment

You could possibly have some spyware or adware thats affecting those two. Or possibly a bad virus thats not being caught thats only affecting those two.. Since internet explorer is very susceptible to getting bad viruses
                              You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                              Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Working...
                              X