replacing laptop hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing laptop hard drive

Here is my issue. Im upgrading my laptop hard drive in my HP.

I did the program that it had built in and backed up my hard drive to 2 dvd discs. They said that in cause of failure these discs will be used to restore my system.

But im wondering, HP does something with their backup system where they partition the hard drive so that drive D is the backup drive.

If i change the hard drives, and load the recovery discs...will that program create the drive D partition? and if it doesnt do i even need to create one?
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

wat?

isnt drive d your dvd drive?
    峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

you could just get an enclosure and swap the drives out. load operating system on new installed hard drive then just plug in the old one once its been placed in the enclosure and transfer off you files over. enclosures are cheap too.

and i think that the hp's come with another built in recovery drive and i think thats what you are thinking about.(used to have one till it fried twice....suck it hp i hate you now.) when you load up the new hard drive should just be basic install like the way the 1st one was.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

nah hp creates a backup partition as D.

but since im replacing the hard drive, I kind of want that there just incase. but i dont even know whats on it. I created backup discs though.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

You don't need another partition since your OS System Files are on the discs you created. If you want another partition , Windows will prompt you creat one before the system will install the files on your computer.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
          1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
          2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
          2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
          2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

That partition is a recovery partition that subsitutes for using discs. If you're replacing/upgrading your hard drive there's not really any way to get that back unless the recovery software you have from HP does it, which I'm fairly sure it does not.

Comment

That disc will remake the partition and set the hard drive up the way it should be from the factory. So no you dont have to remake it yourself.

Comment

there is a few discs that hP talks about. One is that these comps dont have any cause they have built in software to make them.

But the ones from hp will restore back to origional settings, but im not sure and there is no documentation that putting my new hard drive in and running the discs will do so.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

are u talking about the d: drive in this pic??

if so that is a partition on all vista computers. Ive got a dell and i have that partition. So basically if u install a new HD with vista u will still have that but it will be empty other than the basic backups.

Originally posted by Dr.x
                  You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

yeah I have that.

So with the new hard drive, vista automatically makes that drive? If so I dont and never did have the vista disc, do you think these discs that i made has it in its backup?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

The discs you burned should restore the computer to a configuration exactly the same as the day you first took it out of the box. You could always swap in th new drive and run the discs to verify; before erasing the old drive.

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                        yeah I have that.

So with the new hard drive, vista automatically makes that drive? If so I dont and never did have the vista disc, do you think these discs that i made has it in its backup?
                        well from what i understand HP puts their backup discs on the computer so u can burn them if you like. My dell came with one. I would burn it and keep so if something does happen u have a backup disc. Dont rely on that drive to backup your info, because if you cant get to it, it aint going to help you.

Originally posted by NutBucket View Post
                        The discs you burned should restore the computer to a configuration exactly the same as the day you first took it out of the box. You could always swap in th new drive and run the discs to verify; before erasing the old drive.
                        I would do this just to make sure everything is in working order.

Originally posted by Dr.x
                        You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

As long as you have a disc to reinstall windows if your computer takes a shit, you're fine. No partition needed.

That's the bottom line.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                          I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Working...
                          X