Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just outlawed n2o on the streets of Ohio

Retail sale of nitrous oxide

The bill requires a retailer who sells at retail nitrous oxide to require every person who purchases nitrous oxide in this state from the retailer to complete and sign a nitrous oxide purchase statement. The Department of Public Safety must make a purchase statement available at no charge on its internet web site and also must furnish the purchase statement to retail sellers of nitrous oxide upon request. The Director of Public Safety must determine the form and contents of the purchase statement, which must include at a minimum the name and address of the retailer, the name and address of the purchaser, the date of the retail sale, the amount of nitrous oxide sold to the purchaser, and any other information the Director determines should be included on the statement. The statement also must include the following language in 12-point boldface type:

"I will not use nitrous oxide in any motor vehicle that I operate on any public road, street, or highway in the state of Ohio. I understand that street racing on the public roads, streets, and highways of Ohio is illegal and punishable by a fine, a jail term or prison term, suspension of a person's driver's or commercial driver's license, and criminal forfeiture of any vehicle involved in a street race."

The purchase statement language must conclude with the following 14-point boldface type:

"I understand that if I purchase nitrous oxide and use it in a motor vehicle that I operate on a public road, street, or highway in the state of Ohio, I may be subject to prosecution for the crime of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree, and may be subject to prosecution for other criminal offenses as well."

The bill requires a retail seller to retain every nitrous oxide purchase statement for a period of not less than two years from the date of the retail sale that generated the purchase statement.

The bill also prohibits a person who purchases nitrous oxide at retail in this state from using it in a motor vehicle that the person operates on a public road, street, or highway in this state. Whoever violates this prohibition is guilty of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree. (R.C. 4511.253.)
    Changed some other street racing laws as well, and that's all fine and good, but I can't have my bottle hooked up so I can make a little extra power, but a snail or a 750 hp v8 is okay? Total bull doody.

Thats one thing good about SC. The place is so crappy and the cops are so underpaid that nobody gives 2 shits about n2o. If SC start inspections, and coming up with laws like these, everybody would be up shit creek and I know for a fact that half the cars here wouldnt pass.

But yea sucks to hear that man. How are they going to prove that you are using it on public roads?

Comment

Just have to hide the bottle better. And dont get caught, but then thats what the n2o is for right? out running people. lol

But That is completly BS. There alot of n2o street racers over there or something?

Comment

I think state officials ignore turbos and high horsepower V8s because they still associate import drivers with using nitrous and The Fast and the Furious movies.

"Oh, this guy has that nitrous stuff in his car. He must be a hard core illegal street racer who goes around at night and steals semis. We gotta stop 'em!"

Comment

They've been discussing it since June. I honestly think a big chunk of it is because FnF makes such a big deal over NAWS in the fast cars. How is me having a 50 shot or even 100 shot in my car any more dangerous that say a 300 hp v8 or some guy with a snail running 16 lbs of boost? It's bullshit. I guess this is coming off the bumper:

Or at least I'll have to cover up the n2o on the bottle. I do have a baby, so I could keep the rest of it.

Comment

you dont have to hide that decal. i wouldnt. and thats plan reasoning. its messed up a 18 year old kid can in a 1000whp supra can cruise down the street but yet i cant have a 50hp shot of nitrous on my car? wtf?

Comment

Didn't you watch the movie? When you shoot a car that has nitrous, it goes KA-BOOM!!

Lol, I'm done.

That is a pretty stupid law, though. I could understand them arguing that it is dangerous having a highly flammable liquid in your car, but then again, isn't gasoline flammable?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                you dont have to hide that decal. i wouldnt. and thats plan reasoning. its messed up a 18 year old kid can in a 1000whp supra can cruise down the street but yet i cant have a 50hp shot of nitrous on my car? wtf?
                Oh, there's more in the other laws that changed. They can pull you over if they think you might be engaged in street racing.

· Specifies that when there is reasonable ground to believe that a person has committed the prohibition against street racing or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance, a peace officer with authority to enforce the prohibition or ordinance may stop or detain the person whom the officer has reasonable cause to believe was operating the vehicle in violation of the prohibition or ordinance and, after investigating the circumstances surrounding the operation of the vehicle, may arrest and detain the person.
                So I can be happily cruising down the road and if a cop has a hair up his ass, sees the exhaust or thinks I look like a street racer, he can pull me and detain me.

Comment

Originally posted by JPsAccordSE View Post
                  Didn't you watch the movie? When you shoot a car that has nitrous, it goes KA-BOOM!!

Lol, I'm done.

That is a pretty stupid law, though. I could understand them arguing that it is dangerous having a highly flammable liquid in your car, but then again, isn't gasoline flammable?
                  It's not flammable. It's only explosive properties happen in the bottle because of pressure (1200 lbs of pressure could cause an explosion if not released correctly) and once it's heated above a certain point. I can't even remember the temp right now, over 500 degrees fahrenheit IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by JPsAccordSE View Post

Lol, I'm done.

lol. true. but like visual said, nitrous isnt flammable until it hits the combustion chamber.

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                    Oh, there's more in the other laws that changed. They can pull you over if they think you might be engaged in street racing.

So I can be happily cruising down the road and if a cop has a hair up his ass, sees the exhaust or thinks I look like a street racer, he can pull me and detain me.

now if the cop has a nightstick up his butt for the day and pulls you just to pull you and think you were racing, id ask him for proof. if your just cruising around by YOURSELF and think he can pull you and just claim you were racing, he's an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                      lol. true. but like visual said, nitrous isnt flammable until it hits the combustion chamber.
                      Nitrous is never "flammable." When it hits the combustion chamber, it cools the charge and provides more oxygen (N2O), as we all know, more oxygen means you can add more fuel, which means more power. The N2O itself is not flamable.
                      Originally posted by sweet91accord
                      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway." In addition, the bill provides that persons rendering assistance or encouragement in any form or manner to the defined competitive use of vehicles must be equally charged as participants (bill's additions to existing law are in italics).
                        If I decide to go out on a back country road and have someone take video of me doing a fly-by; it's legally street racing, and they get charged as well.

but...
                        The operation of two or more vehicles side by side either at speeds in excess of prima-facie lawful speeds or rapidly accelerating from a common starting point to a speed in excess of such prima-facie lawful speeds is prima-facie evidence of street racing.

What if neither car exceeds the speed limit, but we both see who can get to it first?

Comment

What if neither car exceeds the speed limit, but we both see who can get to it first?
                          well thats when it gets called a "speed competition" or "speed contest".

Comment

A lot harder to prove though, I would think. "Sorry officer, I was just driving, I don't know what the hell that other guy was doing."

Comment

A lot harder to prove though, I would think. "Sorry officer, I was just driving, I don't know what the hell that other guy was doing."
                              lmao. yeah. that'll work

Comment

Working...
                              X