Need help buying a t.v.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help buying a t.v.

I want to get one, along with Ps3 console and some games. I'm looking through http://www.black-friday.net/ to get a head start, but they're soooo many TV's to choose from amongst Best-buy, Bj's, Target, Wal-mart, and Sears. All of which are near me.

These interest me, but to be honest, I have no idea as to what I'm looking for. I know I want 1080p and something 40'+. Other than that, I'm a noob with TV's. I'll likely use it for movies, ps3 gaming, and as a computer monitor if I could. Are the links below good deals anyways ? I can't compare prices at all because I don't even know what's good and not. Also, I always thought LCD was better than "plasma", but I have read otherwise ?!

Links -
    Best-buy deal
    insignia 42' 1080p $700

Samsung - 40" Class / 1080p
    $600

BJ's deals

Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD HDTV $650

Target deals

Apex 40" Full HD LCD TV $450

Wal-mart deals

Sony Bravia 40" LCD 1080P HDTV$600

Samsung 40'' 60Hz 1080p LCD HDTV $600

Sears deals

Panasonic 42 in. Class 1080p 600 Hz Plasma HD $650

Anyways, I want to clear this up because I plan on camping out for the door-buster deals. I just don't want to wait for so long and end up not getting the best tv/ deal.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Most of my electronics are made by samsung so Ill
    swear by those guys. Sony has always been good to me also so that's another brand I'd consider. My mother swears by panasonic and anything Mitsubishi. I prefer to stay away from toshiba because I had a 32" tv go bad on me after three years, now that's a regular type tv not LCD or anything. I've never even heard of isignia. Who makes that?

Comment

If you're buying an lcd tv, you're going to want atleast 120hz and 1080i to make it worth it. 60hz and 720 looks cheap

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
        If you're buying an lcd tv, you're going to want atleast 120hz and 1080i to make it worth it. 60hz and 720 looks cheap
        Depends on what name brand. I have a 720p Samsung with 60hz and looks great. goes up to 1080i (almost all 720's do) and yes the lack of the 120hz effects mostly Sports games but then again you really don't see it till you really get into it

I also Had a 720p 60hz Apex and looks nothing Like the Samsung tho the spec's and settings was the same.

Links to my rides :
        1992 Accord EX*
        1990 Accord EX
        1991 Accord SE (4th)
        1991 Accord SE (3rd)
        1991 Accord SE (2ND)
        1991 Accord SE

Comment

Panasonic... end of story

If you MUST have an LCD, I hear the Sharp Aquos is a quality unit

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
          dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
            Depends on what name brand. I have a 720p Samsung with 60hz and looks great. goes up to 1080i (almost all 720's do) and yes the lack of the 120hz effects mostly Sports games but then again you really don't see it till you really get into it

I also Had a 720p 60hz Apex and looks nothing Like the Samsung tho the spec's and settings was the same.
            yea but once you stand there and watch a blueray in 1080i at 240hz you'll be in love

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
              Panasonic... end of story

If you MUST have an LCD, I hear the Sharp Aquos is a quality unit
              Panasonic is a good name brand, had many T.V'S but when it comes to LCD'S I don't think there that great. They show great picture but knowing a few people that Have them and they had to replace them in less than 2 years cause light went dead

Sharp Aquos is ok (I currently Have one) but I wish I would have gone with samsung.

Shap has to many Menu options and there Tech Service is not so great

Links to my rides :
              1992 Accord EX*
              1990 Accord EX
              1991 Accord SE (4th)
              1991 Accord SE (3rd)
              1991 Accord SE (2ND)
              1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                yea but once you stand there and watch a blueray in 1080i at 240hz you'll be in love
                1080P you mean right?

cause I enjoy 1080i Bluray and looks great....so many think I have a 1080p

im in Love now and have a 1080p but don't use it for BR

Links to my rides :
                1992 Accord EX*
                1990 Accord EX
                1991 Accord SE (4th)
                1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
                  Panasonic is a good name brand, had many T.V'S but when it comes to LCD'S I don't think there that great.
                  I guess Is should have clicked the link, ha ha ha. Ive got a Viera plasma... So I was thinking that when I posted. I have NO EXPERIEICE with Panasonic LCD's.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                  dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

get the bravia bro. i promise u won't regret it. all my shit is sony, the t.v., the dvd & the vcr(dinosaur). not tot mention the PS3. get the bravia w/ the visio hd cables. don't bother goin to buy those $70 hd cables from bestbuy there's no difference n the quality of the picture & sound. i don't have cable only an antanae that gives me local chnls & the pic on my 46" Bravia is so clear ppl almost look like u can touch'em

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3222203/5

Comment

Google search "Don Hertzfeldt the third dimension"

^that comment just made me think of the line in there.

"IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!"

If you haven't seen it you must.

I wouldn't go for the insignia or apex. Just stay away. Other than that any choice will be a good one.
                      Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

i have a dynex.lord knows what that is but i got it at best buy.

Comment

I defiantly want 1080p and at-least 120hz.

Is dynamic ratio important ? My friend said anything 50,000:1 + is really good, anything less is garbage. Which sucks because most of the t.v. I've seen say 20,000 :1.

This defiantly cuaght my eye also,

NEW IN BOX PHILIPS 42in. 1080P 120 HZ LCD W/WARRANTY

What do you think ?

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                          -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Newegg is having a killer deal you should just jump on.
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-na-_-na-_-na
                            This tv for 699 plus 40 shipping. zomgness

Comment

I've had to do this research and more lately. Here are my recommendations for your applications.

- Stick with reputable brands: Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic
                              - Stick with traditional LCDs - CCFL backlighting (LED versions more expensive)
                              - 1080P
                              - Dynamic Contrast Ratio: Minimal 50K:1
                              - Scan Rate: Minimal 120 Hz.
                              - HDMI inputs

If you pay your own electric bill, then once you have a few choices, compare power consumption.

Samsung has a 42" that meets all these requirements that is one of the most popular buys in that size class. My bro and father-in-law both have one. Both of theirs still work fine, been about 2 yrs of use so far.
                              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                              X