Weird outlet in apartment...what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird outlet in apartment...what is it?

I've got this weird "outlet" in my apartment. I'm not sure what it is. That hook thing is loose and it makes a clicking sound every couple hours...

It's been painted over multiple times by the owner. So I'm guessing it's not being used...

possibly an old old old phone jack?? i have a similar thing in my bedroom behind my bed..
    ..[CB7][STAR]..
    MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Im not sure what it is but looking at it makes me laugh.

Comment

That's odd, I've never seen anything like that. Take the cover off and see what the wiring looks like behind it??

Comment

Wow, depending on the age of your apartment, that may be a component to a door bell or phone. If there's an electro magnet behind the plate, it may vibrate and tug on a string that's attached to a bell.

It looks solid and not like a wire. I say take it apart!
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

I've been in the telecom, construction and maintenance fields for years and that thing is something I've never seen. How old is your apartment buildng?

I vote you score around the edges of the plate with a razor knife (so the paint doesn't peel off the wall), clear the screw heads of paint and carefully pull it open. If it's a live phone system of some sort, the voltage is only -48vdc, it won't kill you, but it does suck to get zapped. If it's some sort of alarm system, it could be low voltage, could be 120 vac. Just be cautious. And have a friend videotaping so we can all laugh about it later. Open it up and get some pics.
            Last edited by visualpoet; 11-07-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
              Just be cautious. And have a friend videotaping so we can all laugh about it later. Open it up and get some pics.

Comment

I'm curious, rip that baby off and take some pics
                Maybe there's treasure in there...

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  I'm curious, rip that baby off and take some pics
                  Maybe there's treasure in there...
                  If by treasure you mean dead rat then yeah... maybe.
                  My Car
                  FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

That IS weird. Im with the group; take it off and see what you find.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

The building was built sometime between 1906 and 1920. Pretty old!

I'm nervous to take that plate off. I already tried taking a screwdriver to the screws and the paint flakes off very easily. I'll try to take the whole thing off and take pictures

Comment

Hurry the hell up! It's been damn near 12 hours!

Comment

Explore or FAIL.

Comment

Once you have it off... lick it.

Comment

Ok, I took it apart. Probably scraping off years of old lead paint, lol.

You can see the hook attached through the brass plate. When I wiggle the hook, it moves the metal tab in the middle

Comment

Working...
                              X