This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baby einstein SCAM!!!

The University of Washington research team found every hour per day spent watching baby DVDs and videos, infants learned six to eight fewer new vocabulary words than babies who never watched the videos.
    don't buy this crap

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11402634
    ____

OMG, really? Plopping your baby in front of the TV isn't going to be better than actually teaching them, and allowing them to interact in the world? I'm SHOCKED!!!

This shit is like $15 "mugen" chips for 2nd gen Accords on ebay... Too good to be true, yet the optimistic, ignorant, lazy idiots will keep them in business nonetheless.

Comment

I kept wondering how sitting your kid in front of the tube could possibly make 'em smarter and it didn't make sense for a reason
      ____

Comment

I heard a thing on the radio about another such video... This lady claimed that all 3 of her kids were reading at a 2nd grade level by Kindergarten.

The sad thing is... those kids probably would've been reading at a 5th grade level if she had taken the time to teach them herself!

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          I kept wondering how sitting your kid in front of the tube could possibly make 'em smarter and it didn't make sense for a reason
          Well, it depends. Our son learns a lot form TV. Now grant it, TV is not the parent and we DO teach him too. But there is a lot of thigns he will say and I ask my wife "Where did he learn that?" and she says "From ????? show", or "from ??? game on the computer."

I believe that shows like Blue's Clues help. We stopped letting him watch shows like Dora, and Diago after he started talking to us in Spanish. I feel he needs to learn English first.

Originally posted by deevergote
          "rice" is opinion. Personally, I don't care what other people have on their cars, and I put what I like on my own. I wouldn't put what I consider "rice" on my own car, but I don't particularly care what others think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Honda Enoch View Post
            Well, it depends. Our son learns a lot form TV. Now grant it, TV is not the parent and we DO teach him too. But there is a lot of thigns he will say and I ask my wife "Where did he learn that?" and she says "From ????? show", or "from ??? game on the computer."

I believe that shows like Blue's Clues help. We stopped letting him watch shows like Dora, and Diago after he started talking to us in Spanish. I feel he needs to learn English first.
            lol nice!

*Needs*
            -New shocks
            -Struts
            -Drop
            -Cleaning
            -New Tires/Wheels
            -New Window Tint
            -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

We stopped letting him watch shows like Dora, and Diago after he started talking to us in Spanish. I feel he needs to learn English first.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Let him learn both. That is the age where children learn best. A bilingual child, even only slightly bilingual, will have a great advantage in this world. You might need to learn some Spanish yourself to keep up with him.

Shows like Dora and Sesame Street are the best types of TV for kids. They present enough of a learning experience to be useful, without claiming that they will take the place of parents. It's exposure to education and culture... that's all TV is good for.

It's like watching Anime and expecting to learn Japanese. It won't teach you a damn thing... but if it's included as part of an immersion routine, it will help.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Let him learn both. That is the age where children learn best. A bilingual child, even only slightly bilingual, will have a great advantage in this world. You might need to learn some Spanish yourself to keep up with him.

Shows like Dora and Sesame Street are the best types of TV for kids. They present enough of a learning experience to be useful, without claiming that they will take the place of parents. It's exposure to education and culture... that's all TV is good for.

It's like watching Anime and expecting to learn Japanese. It won't teach you a damn thing... but if it's included as part of an immersion routine, it will help.

Instead of shows like Dora teaching our kids Spanish, they need shows that teach the Spanish to speak English.

"rice" is opinion. Personally, I don't care what other people have on their cars, and I put what I like on my own. I wouldn't put what I consider "rice" on my own car, but I don't particularly care what others think of it.

Comment

Too true.

Though most of the people in this country that "don't speak English" at least understand more than they let on, in many cases. It's very convenient to not speak a language from time to time!

Comment

My nephew used to do the exact same thing lol. He would run around the house yelling stuff in Spanish and my brother didn't know wether to tell him he was in trouble or what to do lol. Nobody knew whwta the hell he was trying to say. He also pulled his diaper to the side, showed my girlfriend his nuts, and then proceeded to ask her if she wanted to "play with his balls". Those were his exact words.

Comment

Instead of shows like Dora teaching our kids Spanish, they need shows that teach the Spanish to speak English.
                        I don't like your Comment, I find it offensive, what do you mean by "the Spanish"?

Comment

Originally posted by h22anow View Post
                          what do you mean by "the Spanish"?
                          Spaniards is what it's supposed mean. But, I think he was just being ignorant and called Spanish-speaking individuals "Spanish people".

1999 BMW M3
                          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Uh.. actually he's referring to Mexicans. People are Mexican, they speak Spanish. If someone is from Spain, they are Spaniards.

As far as the 'learn to speak English' comment, I personally believe that Americans have NO room to talk on this matter. We've barely grasped the concept of our own language. I think the US is one of the few developed countries that isn't bilingual.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Too true.

Though most of the people in this country that "don't speak English" at least understand more than they let on, in many cases. It's very convenient to not speak a language from time to time!
                              Yes. I used to work in a video rental store, Try calling telling them their movie is late LOL

Originally posted by h22anow View Post
                              I don't like your Comment, I find it offensive, what do you mean by "the Spanish"?

And I find it offensive that I have to "press 1 for English"

"The Spanish" = Those people that refuse to learn and speak ENGLISH in AMERICA.

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                              Spaniards is what it's supposed mean. But, I think he was just being ignorant and called Spanish-speaking individuals "Spanish people".
                              Excuse the hell out of me. Let me rephrase.

LATINO'S

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                              Uh.. actually he's referring to Mexicans. People are Mexican, they speak Spanish. If someone is from Spain, they are Spaniards.

As far as the 'learn to speak English' comment, I personally believe that Americans have NO room to talk on this matter. We've barely grasped the concept of our own language. I think the US is one of the few developed countries that isn't bilingual.

Around here it's the Mexican's, in Florida it's the Puerto Rican's, either way it's still the same.

This country was founded by ENGLISH speaking people. that is the language.

Bilingual is fine. nothing wrong with being able to read, speak and understand other languages, But I should not have to learn to read Spanish just to walk around my local Wal-Mart, I should not have to know Spanish just to get a job. THAT is BS. If I moved to Japan, or Mexico, I would need to learn the language.

Comment

Working...
                              X