Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools

Since my friends and I don't have access to a nice garage to work in anymore with all the nice Snap on tools we've decided to start our own tool collection. So I was wondering what kind of tools you guys have? I already have a good amount but I'd like to get more. I'd love a set of snap on tools but thats a bit much for some kids in high school to spend on tools. So far I've got the basics and a Torque wrench and impact gun. I need a new jack and jackstands any recommendations? (Should have gotten this before the impact gun )

I just buy stuff as i use it. When i need it, i think if i will use it a few more times... if yes, than i just buy it. As far as tools, I would just stay with Snap On, and Craftsman. Personally i use craftsman since it is easy to trade in the broken ones, and they are cheaper than snap on. I had some old cheapie sockets, but slowly they are breaking one by one. I'll never buy cheapie tools again.

Comment

If its not your trade, buy craftmen. Only because of the fact they are perfectly suitable for the weekend mechanic. I use tools everyday and im even snap ons wear out and crack. Infact i traded in my my 17 and 19 the other day for new ones.
      Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Craftsman is the best for non-pros.

Comment

We use craftsman and snap on here at Fushigi R.E.S. Both have lifetime waranties, and you can get free replacements for any handtool that breaks!! Nice tools, but two of the most expensive tool companies out there

Comment

My friends dad just use to buy tools because the snap on trucks use to come into where he worked. It's kind of funny because he said when those trucks came there it was like kids going after an ice cream truck. Everyone wanted to get there first. I do use a lot of craftsman stuff but I wanted to hear about other brands. My friends uncle is a sponsored mechanic by snap on. So hopefully he can get us tools for cheaper then msrp if we need any specialty tools.

Any recommendation on jacks? The old craftsman jack we use to use would always give us problems since our cars are too low. Any other brands? I might just go with craftsman again though.

Comment

here a kewl little tip: Make some low clearance ramps out of pressure treated deck boards. Just cut the first board at 30", the second board at 15", this will give your car an extra 2" in height when you drive your car up on all four. I keep four in my car when I drive on the road..just incase.

Comment

last time we used wood blocks to help with clearence issues and they were a bit too big my friends car couldnt get over them. After lots of smoke and rubber from his azenis on the floor we just gave up and used the oem jack on one side. Even with 2x4's under my wheels my jack barely makes it under the car.

Comment

craftsman... if it breaks just another trip to sears

Comment

Auto parts stores sell a low profile aluminum jack. Its about $80. Like this
                    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039

Comment

craftman's return policy is great, i have a craftsman breaker bar and whenever i need a single socket, i get craftsman (like the 32)

otherwise, i have a GearRatchet ratchet set (birthday last year) which is actually really great and i love the way the set has two modes, the thru-sockets... and theres a lifetime warrantee, u just gotta mail the pieces in tho. i also picked up a GearWrench ratcheting wrench set, i didnt get craftsman because the gearwrench set had every size needed for a honda (8 10 12 14 17...) whereas the craftsman set was missing a couple. i lvoe both sets and have never broken on me, and i put some pretty good stress on those little gearwrenches...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
                        Auto parts stores sell a low profile aluminum jack. Its about $80. Like this
                        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039
                        I was just going to ask about that jack have you tried it? I saw it on an nsx forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                          I was just going to ask about that jack have you tried it? I saw it on an nsx forum.
                          I've got one. My car isn't particularly slammed but its a nice jack.

Comment

is it stable? Someone was complaining about the wheels moving and not staying in place. Is it easy to jack up? and is it quick?

Comment

Its plenty stable in my experience. 6 pumps to full lift. Pretty quick if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                              X