What are these guys talking about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these guys talking about

Is it me or is what there saying incorrect. Read the whole thread...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=325165

I've never done a swap so they could be correct or just pulling it out the ass. I always figured an h22 was fine for boosting and that the h22 only added 30-60 pounds over the f22

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
      I've never done a swap so they could be correct or just pulling it out the ass. I always figured an h22 was fine for boosting and that the h22 only added 30-60 pounds over the f22
      The H22's weight isn't really an issue, but the H22 motor isn't the best platform for boosting as it can only safely handle 5-6 psi without building the motor. The F22 on the other hand can handle much more boost.

Comment

but the H22 motor isn't the best platform for boosting as it can only safely handle 5-6 psi without building the motor.
        Can you inform the un-informed as to why?

Comment

the compression of the h22 is higher then the compression ratio of the f22. also, the h22 is an open deck motor, not so great for boosting as opposed to a closed deck motor
          Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

is higher compression what contributes to the higher horsepower out of an engine with the same displacement? and 'open deck/closed deck' what does that mean?

Comment

It's a know fact that the h22 internals are weak for boosting, this is what i've read but most of what i've read is boosting 16-20 psi a stock motor can handle 7-9 psi with no problems i also read that if you want to boost the h22 you should mate the head with the h23 block since the internals are signifantly stronger

Comment

Yeah mike thats what i thought about the h22. Boost a f22 not an h22... eaither go boost or Get an h22a Those are my conclusions

Comment

I have no interest in boosting, well I've never experienced it either..but is that the only thing to be aware of when considering the swap? Is it fine to turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry4thgen
                    the compression of the h22 is higher then the compression ratio of the f22. also, the h22 is an open deck motor, not so great for boosting as opposed to a closed deck motor
                    ???? I thought Honda didnt switch the ludes to open decks until 97.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
                      ???? I thought Honda didnt switch the ludes to open decks until 97.
                      Yeah, you're right. The 92-96 H22s are closed deck.

Still, the H22 isn't great for boosting. The internals aren't weak, just not made for boost. The H22 has FRM sleeves that don't accept normal aftermarket pistons (JUN/Cosworth make some that work with the FRM... starting at $1000). Therefore, the compression can't be lowered to a boost-friendly level.

ANY Honda engine with stock internals running over 10psi will fail eventually at the H22 compression. Hell, even at the F22 compression problems will eventually arise! (I'm sure Midnite Racer X has an internal buildup planned for when that happens...)

Comment

Also, what was incorrect on there? I must've missed it... They certainly aren't the smartest bunch there, but they don't seem to be giving wrong info.

Comment

Working...
                        X