More HW help . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More HW help . . .

A rectangle is inscribed with its base on the x-axis and its upper corners on the parabola y=10-x2. What are the dimensions of such a rectangle with the greatest possible area?

this we were kinda working on in class today but I didn't catch the first part of it when the teacher was talking, but from what I gather you take the base and call it 2x because it is divided equally by the y axis, but after that I wasn't sure where to go from there
    F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
    My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
    Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

If I do your homework for you, will they put my name on your degree?

I'm useless with math... I only got a B+ in calculus because the professor curved up from a 40. I kicked ass in geometry, but that was 15 years ago (holy shit... really? damn I feel old...) I just wanted to be a smartass. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DA92CB7 View Post
      A rectangle is inscribed with its base on the x-axis and its upper corners on the parabola y=10-x2. What are the dimensions of such a rectangle with the greatest possible area?

this we were kinda working on in class today but I didn't catch the first part of it when the teacher was talking, but from what I gather you take the base and call it 2x because it is divided equally by the y axis, but after that I wasn't sure where to go from there
      Give me a second. I'll work through it with you, hold on...
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

First thing to realize is where the parabola intersects the x-axis. So first, figure out the two coordinates where the parabola intersects the x-axis and show me your answer.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

if you have msn we can draw it out i am gonna go take my dog on a walk ill be back in like 30 mins, but thanks man.

MY RIDE

vouches:
          Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Comment

Okay.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

ok my msn is posted under my sn so just hit me up on there or windows live is what it is called actually.

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

the co-ordinates where the parabola cross the y-axis are -3.162278,0 an 3.162278,0 since the parabolas cut in half by the y axis these points are reciprocals of each other so there was no need to find both just one.

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

Correct, same as (10)^(1/2) or +/- Root 10.

Now maximize the parabola. I believe you know how to do this using calculus. Plainly put, find the area under the parabola. This will be the absolute possible area for the window or what ever it is. Although a rectangle can't fully conceal all of the space inside of the parabola, it will help us a little.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                    Correct, same as (10)^(1/2) or +/- Root 10.

Now maximize the parabola. I believe you know how to do this using calculus. Plainly put, find the area under the parabola. This will be the absolute possible area for the window or what ever it is. Although a rectangle can't fully conceal all of the space inside of the parabola, it will help us a little.
                    Perfect user-name, .

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
                      Perfect user-name, .
                      What do you mean?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

that I don't know how to do we are just supposed to figure out a way to put two equations together so we can solve for a single variable. I am not in calc yet btw

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

Originally posted by DA92CB7 View Post
                          that I don't know how to do we are just supposed to figure out a way to put two equations together so we can solve for a single variable. I am not in calc yet btw
                          What class is this for, physics, geometry, ...?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Okay, I see you're in pre-Calc. We can do this the geometric way. Are you ready?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

its pre calc 1

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

Working...
                              X