Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to play cello...but don't have $1 to $15k for one

HA HA HA HA...histarical laughter...yeah...they cost from $1000 to $15,000

DECENT to GOOD used cello's go for NO LESS than $500...and you are more likely to spend WELL over $1000 for one...if you buy new...no less than $2000.

I'll eventually get one off ebay for around $200...but it will most likely be crap.

Guess what...decent to good bows...are $50 again...not so great ones off ebay can be had for $20...which is what I'll prolly get.

Guess how much good strings are for cellos...$200+...you can get 'em for $20 a piece or $10 a piece though.
    all was so to the point

ANYWAY instead of buying a cello right now I'm going to re-set my bridge on my electric and buy a bow and play my electric with a bow...might try the acoustic but I can't/won't alter it's bridge...and it's steel string too so it won't sound quit right.

I will be setting up the bridge to give me a more curved setup to make it so I can hit individual strings. I thought about going 4 strings also...but might pull the neck a funny way so prolly not...

maybe if I go
    -
    -s
    -s
    -s
    -s
    -

or

-s
    -s
    -
    -s
    -
    -s

or

-s
    -
    -s
    -
    -s
    -s

not sure which would keep the neck the most straight...prolly the first setup...the second...well there is more tension on the b and high e...so maybe the first and last setup are best

Course I'm worried I won't be able to get it to tune correctly having the bridge up like that...but I guess we'll see...most likely just change where the harmonics are

I do not wish to sacrifice the safety/structural integrity of my guitar...I'm not worried about resin build up on the pickups as I will cover them...and mine are like this (not emg's though) so no biggy either way

Any one have any hints/tips/advice for me?
    ____

I saw a guy playing a guitar with a bow last night. If I ever see that band again, I'll ask him about it.

Comment

that would be awesome...

he prolly has a $250 bow though
      ____

Comment

If you plan to use steel strings, use flat steel strings. Probably from an acoustic set (guitar). I don't know if you'd be able to make cello strings work on a guitar. Also, you're going to have to modify the action to have an arch (so you can hit the 1 string instead of all 4 at the same time). You'll probably have to raise your action over all because the vibration and pressure of the bow will cause fretting out noise. The surface of the guitar body will probably get in the way, as well.

I wonder if a dobro would be better, as they have a frog style bridge (similar to cellos)

Most good violin players I know of use gut strings. Steel sounds too shrill.

Comment

Oh, and I would suggest this:

-
          --s
          ---s
          ---s
          --s
          -

You'll have to adjust the action/saddle height (as I said in the previous post) to allow individual string access. If the above setup doesn't work, try this:

--s
          -
          ---s
          ---s
          -
          --s

In my head it seems no matter what you do, either the body or another string will be in the way. If you've got a fixed bridge you'll be better off. Forget it if you've got a floyd rose style tremolo.

Comment

Comment

awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the vid when I get home.

I've read that violin/cello players don't like steel strings as they cause screeching.

I think I'll go with this setup:
              -s
              -
              -s
              -s
              -
              -s

seems it would make it easier to hit individual strings, I can keep the first and last strings low, and raise the middle two. Most likely I'll still be using the electric, the softer strings may sound better.

when I get the bow I'll start setting it up.
              ____

Comment

You can look into different types of strings as well, such as flat wound strings. I used those when I played jazz guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                  that sounds like one of those "whale songs" tapes people listen to while falling asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by scudweiser View Post
                    that sounds like one of those "whale songs" tapes people listen to while falling asleep.
                    By "people", do you mean "whales" ? hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I saw a guy playing a guitar with a bow last night. If I ever see that band again, I'll ask him about it.
                      You mean Led Zeppelin?

Underground.Society
                      Originally posted by Deevergote
                      If it doesn't really matter... shut the fuck up and let it be.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer825 View Post
                        You mean Led Zeppelin?

Yes, next time I talk to Jimmy Page, I'll ask him.

Comment

got a bow in that I got of ebay. Need some rosin now
                          ____

Comment

believe it or not.. the jerk was first chair cello all through school.

i have a sam jin bad mofo cello, and dominant strings... the set-up was expensive as shit but thank god for payment plan

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                              awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the vid when I get home.

I've read that violin/cello players don't like steel strings as they cause screeching.

I think I'll go with this setup:
                              -s
                              -
                              -s
                              -s
                              -
                              -s

seems it would make it easier to hit individual strings, I can keep the first and last strings low, and raise the middle two. Most likely I'll still be using the electric, the softer strings may sound better.

when I get the bow I'll start setting it up.
                              Cello strings are nearly all metal these days. They only sound screechy if you're shit. Or the cello is shit. If you've seen the amount of labour that goes into hand making a string instrument you'd understand the price. A decent bow will cost alot more than $50 too. They make a surprising amount of difference to the tone that you produce. Make sure you remember to wind it back after using it every time otherwise it will lose it's shape and therefore its tension. Especially if it's a cheap one.
                              Members Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X