Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts Guy rant.....

first. a little background.
    some of you may or may not know that i work for NAPA auto parts.
    not Kragen, not Autozone, not Oriellys, not Carquest, not Advance.

this is not my summer job, my part time job, or my first job straight outta high school, like most of the extremely incompetent employees of the above stated competition.

this is what ive done 40 hours a week for the past 6 years. and before this i was under the hood for the previous 5.
    i dont claim to know everything, and i will ask the older guys if i dont know something in order to give the proper answer the next time.
    but in 90% of my transactions i get you the right shit the first time because i know what im talking about.

11 years in the automotive repair/parts industry. quite a bit considering im 28.

now.
    being behind the counter and fucking around on the internet for most of the day while being paid to do so is pretty cool. i really cant complain when it comes to how laid back my boss and the rest of my crew are. its a good place to work.

there are however a handfull of the general population that i would never begin to miss or lose any amount of sleep over if they happened to all die horrible deaths.

the first and most recent breed to piss me off are the guys who come in and order 400bux worth of heavy ass truck rotors only to tell me that theyre really not sure what kind of truck they have when they come to pick them up. they proceed to ask ME what they are driving, and insist on the right parts when they pulled up in a different truck entirely than the one they are actually working on.
    how the hell am i supposed to know if you have an F250 or an F350 when you pulled up in a Dodge?? maybe you should write your goddam vehicle information down before you start taking shit apart and making me lift 200lbs of iron just to have me put it back on the shelf....

which brings me to the next breed of human that i hate:
    the people who have no clue as to what year/make/model/engine/etc vehicle they drive on a daily basis.
    how on earth do these people even remember their own birthday??
    if you are one of these types please do me and yourself a fucking favor: write your year, make, model, submodel, engine size, transmission type, drivetrain layout, and braking setup on a little piece of paper and leave it in your glove box. its that simple and it could save you (or cost you) a lot of money depending on the amount of information you provide and the mood that im in.

which now brings me to this:
    i can and will adjust prices based on a number of factors. i have a 10 key pad and my favorite number is 9...
    if you act like a pompous know it all asshole or just any kind of asshole in general: price goes up however i see fit.
    if you tell me im wrong when its very certain that i am right and i have the entire parts crew backing me: price goes up however i see fit.
    if you are a hot chick: price goes down according to how hot you are and how flirtatious you are. im a pig. i know.
    if you are a hot chick and you walk in with your boyfriend: price stays normal. come in without him and you will save money.
    if you are my friend: you will likely get my discount, which can be as high as 40% off standard pricing.
    if you are a non-account holding customer in good standing: i will generally give you a pretty standard discount.

i have much more to bitch about but i have to get back to the shop.

so in short:
    try to be prepared when you come see me, dont be a dick, dont make me do a bunch of unnecessary legwork, be a hot chick if possible, and just try to be on my good side overall.

it will potentially save you money, save me stress, and make both of our lives happier. win, win.
    Last edited by H22Artman; 10-04-2009, 01:31 AM.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

reserved for more whining

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

reserved

Comment

bitching reservation

Comment

Fucking EPIC!!

I love it!

My job recently went from washing cars and throwing trash to being the tool guy. I hand out tools, write shit down and turn rotors. Pretty similar to what you do. I am also getting paid, right now, to sit on my butt and play on the internet. however, filters FTL.

I feel you 100%. Public in general; people are fucking stupid. Try working a McDonalds drive-thru. Not only do you get assholes, but you see some of the dumbest, coolest, most awesome things in your life. Ive seen things from titties, to bands to 18-wheelers trying to maneuver their way around the building at 2am.

If they dont write the shit down, they could at least get a windshield banner that says the make or model. That way you can at least look out and see it.

im a pig. i know.
          I loved this.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Someone need a hug? I know what you're talking about though. There's alot of dumb people out there.

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
              but in 90% of my transactions i get you the right shit the first time because i know what im talking about.
              Honestly.........9 out of 10 is not very good ...

Would you rather have the guy that changes tires and only tires everyday for 15 years or the guy doing it for three... Me I would want the guy doing it for three about to move up or on because the more "experience" guy in fifteen years couldn't get out of a menial job. Whats he doing wrong to be stuck there? Is he a hack? or just lazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
                Someone need a hug? I know what you're talking about though. There's alot of dumb people out there.
                no hugs needed. just venting.
                its safer for the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                  Honestly.........9 out of 10 is not very good ...
                  i was writing on the fly.
                  if i really crunched my returns vs sales its probably closer to 95-98 pct.

not really the point of my rant.

Comment

I'll come in and act like a total dick. Then ill ask you to come outside to look at my car to find out ima norcal member.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
                      if you are one of these types please do me and yourself a fucking favor: write your year, make, model, submodel, engine size, transmission type, drivetrain layout, and braking setup on a little piece of paper and leave it in your glove box.
                      Reminds me of watching the news:
                      "VERY dangerous robber left in a white sedan. If you see it, please call your local police".

Do they not realize how many white sedans there are in this fucking country? How do people not even recognize a Ford emblem, or Chevy, Nissan, Honda, etc? If you're actually wanting the publics help, you need to be more specific.

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Sir, quick question. All bias aside, do you thing NAPA Auto Parts are better than the Auto Zone or Advance Auto? I ask because I have a "Triple AAA membership card" that gives me discounts at NAPA store's.

Other than that I shop at Adv Auto because its much closer to home.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                        -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post

Sir, quick question. All bias aside, do you thing NAPA Auto Parts are better than the Auto Zone or Advance Auto? I ask because I have a "Triple AAA membership card" that gives me discounts at NAPA store's.

Other than that I shop at Adv Auto because its much closer to home.
                          there are parts that we sell that are comparable to the other guys, and thats perfectly fine if those are the parts you want to put on your car.

but the majority of the stuff we sell is far and above better quality parts then most other stores premium line. one of the main reasons NAPA doesnt have an official price matching policy.

understand that almost all NAPA stores west of the mississippi are independant of one another (east coast is a bit more corparate). with the option of buying from whatever distributor they like. NAPA just supplies us with parts programs and the recognition of a national brand.
                          our store in particular sources parts from probably 15 or 20 different distributors.

kragen, autozone, etc are all franchises with set merchandise programs and distributors. they dont have nearly as many outlets and options for parts available to them.

so while i cant speak for every single NAPA store i can speak for the 2 locations i have worked for and all of the surrounding area stores as we are all pretty tight knit.

so if you have a local NAPA go support a local buisiness and let those big box stores prey on the population who doesnt know any better.

Comment

I was wondering if that was true or not on if Napa's quailty was better than that of the other stores. Also is the thing about the discount for having a AAA card true as well? Also how much? I'm in NC if that makes a difference or not. I also understand how you feel about stupid people. I deal with alot, to much really, but what is a 16 yr suppose to do in this economy. Working in fast can be very interesting.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                            "The Turtle"
                            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                              I was wondering if that was true or not on if Napa's quailty was better than that of the other stores. Also is the thing about the discount for having a AAA card true as well? Also how much? I'm in NC if that makes a difference or not. I also understand how you feel about stupid people. I deal with alot, to much really, but what is a 16 yr suppose to do in this economy. Working in fast can be very interesting.
                              like i said some parts are comparable some are better.

the AAA discount is a national NAPA program as far as i know.
                              every NAPA store i know of has it as the same account number, 9054.
                              its a fairly decent discount depending what you are buying. averages anywhere from 5-10%.

im glad to know that i'm not alone in feeling frustrated with the masses.
                              thanks for taking the time to listen to me whine guys

Comment

Working...
                              X