No announcement yet.

How Long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trans was slipping so it was time for an H.

Comment

It's so much work to do a trans swap... Might as well get it all taken care of at once!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        It's so much work to do a trans swap... Might as well get it all taken care of at once!
        true story.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I only modify something when replacing a broken part. Every one of my mods has been a repair as well as an upgrade.

Tires go bad, it's more cost-effective to buy new wheels with tires on them. Brakes go bad, slotted and drilled rotors with performance pads. Shocks blow, new lowering springs and sport shocks. Transmission slipped... H22 engine and transmission swap. Exhaust rusted in half... custom 2.5" exhaust. Rusty rear quaters... cut and weld repair with paint job. Chipped headlight... HIDs in JDM one-pieces.
          Other than appearance stuff and the H22 swap, this strategy also worked for me. I made a deal with my parents back in the day, that I would upgrade stuff as it needed replaced. It worked so well, I just sort of stuck to it.

I am going on 11 years in December, and I have no idea how much money I have spent.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

"needed replaced"

I see that sort of phrasing quite often. Is that just a case of typing too fast, or is that somehow a correct way of saying something? Ommitting "to be" seems to happen quite often, and it's something that seems to be fairly new. I always attributed it to ignorance, but seeing you do it makes me question that theory...

Comment

it isnt, "it needed replacing"?
              I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                it isnt, "it needed replacing"?
                "...I would upgrade stuff as it needed replaced."
                Original

"...I would upgrade stuff as it needed to be replaced."
                What I said

"...I would upgrade stuff as it needed replacing."
                I suppose that could work too.

Comment

i personally believe that these cars are everyones hobbies... there are infinite things you can do to these cars.... i've heard of people spending upwards of 20k on a cb withing a 10 to 12 year span and they say their cars are no where near complete..... just ask any of the OG's of this forum they will tell you....there is always something new to do to your car even if you invent it or someone else does.... and to that invention there is always someone to make it better or reinvent it... so yeah my advice is get as much from your mom and dad as you possibly can to help you because when your on your own bro... its like a drug... just addicting... and you always want to put something new on or in it.... best of luck
                  DELTA CAM GROUP BUY
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbCQuhAnNcla gringa pt.1
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMz-F2saG_ola gringa pt.2

Comment

Accord SiR. He's still working on his car. His had an H22 in it back in what... 1997 I think he said? I don't want to know how much money has gone into that car over the years... but I bet it'd be enough to buy a brand new 3 series.

Comment

Originally posted by zmanwit90accord View Post
                      my mom would think all of you are completely insane. she doesnt want me to spend more than the car is worth- which i probably will as i get older. i guess she doesnt understand whatever makes us want to do this to these cars.
                      My mom is the same way about vehicles, she doesn't get why I like to put money into the CB and my 76 F-100. Anyways my car will be completed hopefully within the next 5 years or so and have roughly 10k in her by that point, now she has roughly 800 maybe I'm not sure.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                      "The Turtle"
                      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

my parents dont understand my "useless" spending on my car, but they do admire me for teaching myself how to do everything myself (welding, wrenching, fabrication, etc) and enjoy looking at the work ive done if i dont tell them a dollar amount lol.

a project car is never complete, as many people i know have said. i've had my car for about 7 years now and spent thousands on it and MANY, MANY late nights working on it. i dont even like to think about the dollar amount or the time invested because i honestly never plan to sell it. i like the act of working on it, and showing off my own hard work. to me that is priceless.

how long it takes fo finish you car really depends on your cash-flow and definition of "finished." ive seen people call a car thats lowered, has rims, some engine work, some exterior work, and very little else done "finished." i've also personally helped people strip down and rebuild show-winning cars because they still werent satisfied with it.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Break it down to your mom like this

"Mom I know you care about me and how I spend my money, but heres how I see it...I make my own mony, I pay my bills, and would you rather me spend my money on drugs, hoes and alcohol and then you can have a bastardly grandchild?...didnt think so, so just let me spend my money on my car...its safer than bonking a girl, cause i can work on the car, make her look nice, and she doesnt bitch."

I swear, she'll never question your love for your car ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            just do it progressively and persuade her that the modifications make it safer.

brake upgrade is safer
                            better suspension is safer
                            you need more power to get out of sticky situations so that's where the turbo comes in

and everything else is maintainence. your mom wouldnt want you to break down in the ghetto and endanger her son's life right?
                            this is the perfect answer to all her annoying comments lol

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                              My mom is the same way about vehicles, she doesn't get why I like to put money into the CB and my 76 F-100. Anyways my car will be completed hopefully within the next 5 years or so and have roughly 10k in her by that point, now she has roughly 800 maybe I'm not sure.
                              yea i wouldnt understand why you'd put money into a 76 F100 either. it's not even smog exempt here in cali.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

"needed replaced"

I see that sort of phrasing quite often. Is that just a case of typing too fast, or is that somehow a correct way of saying something? Ommitting "to be" seems to happen quite often, and it's something that seems to be fairly new. I always attributed it to ignorance, but seeing you do it makes me question that theory...
                                Well, I don't know if there is a technical problem with it or not. It may not be the most formal way to say it, but I don't think it is grammatically incorrect either.
                                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X