Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI cables are overpriced...ripped off is more than $10 for 6 foot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If people buy it, they will continue to sell it. For example, PS3 doesn't come with HDMI cables but you need some to play hd games. All of a sudden, the guy at the store recommends the high end brand and you buy it since its more convenient and you really wanna hook up your shit to a big screen once you get home so you buy them.

Similar case was when the nintendo wii was released. Wii has the capability to output 720 resolution when hooked up with component cables. However, the market wasn't quite out there just yet and there wasn't enough competition AT THE TIME to get super cheap cables. This in turn led to stores selling cable brands such as MADCATZ, etc and getting a huge profit.

Seriously though, you have to be a dumbass to spend that much on some cables.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

So many people don't know what they're buying, though. The uneducated public will accept the word of an "honest" salesman and go on their suggestion. Very often, the salesmen are subject to "training", and they actually believe that the really expensive cables are worth the price as well!

As I mentioned before, quality brands like Monster ARE very good. But not $125 good... If a cheap cable is $10, and the Monster cable is $30, the Monster cable MIGHT be worth the extra for peace of mind. However, unlike my instrument cables, that take a beating, a home entertainment system is set up and stays put... so durable cables aren't really as important.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Gr8-Ox View Post
        http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

they have everything home audio and visual is concerned when it comes to cables and such.
        the best prices and shipping i've ever seen, bought from them many times...

Monoprice ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          So many people don't know what they're buying, though. The uneducated public will accept the word of an "honest" salesman and go on their suggestion. Very often, the salesmen are subject to "training", and they actually believe that the really expensive cables are worth the price as well!

As I mentioned before, quality brands like Monster ARE very good. But not $125 good... If a cheap cable is $10, and the Monster cable is $30, the Monster cable MIGHT be worth the extra for peace of mind. However, unlike my instrument cables, that take a beating, a home entertainment system is set up and stays put... so durable cables aren't really as important.
          Yes, I agree. I've been to the store and asked different sales clerks the same question and sometimes they spill the same shit as the next guy. What's even worse is the people that DO know about electronics and still try to "scam" you. It's really up to the consumer to make an informed buy and ask the clerk for assistance finding the item rather than explaining why it's better and such.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Your best bet when buying something you're not incredibly knowledgeable about is to go to a store where the staff doesn't get paid based on commission. If they know you don't know anything, they'll sell you the highest priced item. When going to a store where the staff is paid a flat hourly wage, be sure you go in knowing enough to tell when someone knows their stuff, and when they're just regurgitating what their bosses tell them to say... because the bosses DO benefit from higher sales. They'll tell the idiot employees to push the "better" parts. The employees generally don't care, so if they actually know what they're talking about, they won't do that if you don't come off as a total doucher.

Overall, the best thing to do is just learn all about things yourself, so you KNOW what you're buying. That way, nobody is selling you anything, and you can buy whatever it is you want, for the best possible price.

Comment

i USED to work at best buy. We did a comparison between cheap RCA cables and the Monster brand. The cheap ones had way fewer strands of copper to transmit the signal, whereas the Monster cable looked like i could use it to rewire my house. I in no means am condoning using Monster products because they sure as hell ARE overpriced, but they do make their stuff a lil better.

To me home theater systems are sort of a waste. Unless you get real with the screen and have some real speakers for the sound, i think it's a waste of money. That's just me though. Therefore i don't see the point in spending 4-5K on Tv's and blu ray dvd players and high definition sound systems. If i wanted all that, i'd just pay 9 bucks and go to the closest theater.

Comment

Also, don't forget what Phempa said. Analog signals are affected by the quality of the wire. Digital, not so much.

Comment

the major B&M make good profit on those cables but only losers go there and buy them

monoprice.com is da shitttness

Comment

search search search
                    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

I'm saving up for some Audioquest cables when I get serious about my car audio

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...-Interconnects

Comment

i just got 20ft of hdmi cable for 18bucks shipped

Comment

i got all my hdmi cables for $10 from my cable company

Comment

I dont have cable, so i dont have to worry.

Comment

Working...
                            X