Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI cables are overpriced...ripped off is more than $10 for 6 foot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI cables are overpriced...ripped off is more than $10 for 6 foot!

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp...=menu117_20_20

If you pay more than $10 for 6' HDMI cable...you just got ripped off...no difference in quality between cables.

The rules of supply and demand don't apply to cables. A Best Buy in downtown Boston charges $140 for name-brand HDMI cables, which connect high-definition video to big-screen TVs. The Radio Shack a few blocks away wants $50 for its generic version. Online, Amazon will sell you HDMI cables for $5.

Ostensibly, the products are identical. So why the huge disparity in price? Is there a difference between the three products?

Not really.

The prolific review crew at CNET put it more harshly. "Those cables are a rip-off," says the website's guide to HDMI. "You should never pay more than $10 for a standard six-foot HDMI cable."

CNET's editors regularly use inexpensive options for both professional tests and in their own home theaters. There's no distinguishable drop in picture quality, they say. Any cable that caused unwanted dropouts or flashes was simply defective, something that can occur with all electronics - and no brand had consistent problems.

Consumer Reports, How Stuff Works, Popular Mechanics, and trials by the Monitor agree. "Our tests indicate, you can expect flawless performance from any 4-meter cable, regardless of price," writes PC World.

So why do salespeople praise the expensive kind? The secret is that stores don't make much profit off TVs and video-game consoles. So to balance out the big items, most retailers mark up the little things.

For example, the retail watchdog Con*sumerist.com published a 2008 wholesale list from Monster Cables, the high-end brand that hawks some of the most expensive cords. The suggested retail price for its four-foot HDMI cable is $79.99. But it wholesales for $38.23 - less than half the sticker price.

Monster responded by saying that final prices are up to individual stores and that its suggested markup is "much less" than the margins on clothing, jewelry, and furniture.

The company says it takes pride in the quality of its cables. They're built to withstand wear and tear, both within the insulation and where the connector meets the TV.

And Monster insists that its HDMI products are somewhat futureproof. HDMI is an evolving standard. Current cables, especially Monster's, can deliver more information per second than their original HDMI ancestors. According to Monster, this matters with 1080p video, which is the sharpest on the market, and will mean even more if TVs move toward higher-definition pictures.

But again, many eagle-eyed reviewers stress that with TVs under 1080p (such as 480p, 720p, or 1080i), you can't tell the difference. And since image quality is only as good as the weakest link, that top-notch standard only applies if both the TV and the video run at 1080p. For example, high-def broadcast TV channels stick to 720p or 1080i - and they'll most likely remain that way for some time.

Online stores offer the best deals on cables. Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and Monoprice.com all have reasonable prices and good reputations. Anything below $2 should raise your suspicions, so check out their return policies before you pull out your credit card.
    ____

damn where was this a few months ago when i bought my PS3. I ended up paying 29 bucks for a 6' hdmi cable because that was the cheapest i could find right away.

Comment

everything is cheaper online no store fronts or rent cost, the only thing is Who knows what your gonna get.

Comment

I work at best buy. i have seen the difference between monster cables and the store brand first hand. It's not always visible, but on some of the higher definition video formats you could easily see a loss in quality.

I get a mad discount on them. Monster cables that retail for 125 i get for about 28. thats what the store pays + 5 percent for their shipping charges.

but everything you read is true right?

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
          I work at best buy. i have seen the difference between monster cables and the store brand first hand. It's not always visible, but on some of the higher definition video formats you could easily see a loss in quality.

I get a mad discount on them. Monster cables that retail for 125 i get for about 28. thats what the store pays + 5 percent for their shipping charges.

you just proved it man...$100 markup on a $28 part? Yeah...they are overpriced. And best buy didn't lose out on your discount either. At cost they are prolly closer to $10 or $15 than $20...and they charge almost $130
          ____

Comment

monster cable is good shit.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I can vouch for the quality of Monster, as I use their stuff for my music equipment. It holds up to ANYTHING.

However, a cable is a cable. As long as the materials are correct, it doesn't matter. As it says in the article, 1080p might show the difference, but very few things are actually IN 1080p yet. By the time 1080p becomes the broadcast standard, the $10 cables will be more than capable.

Still, if you can get a Monster cable for $28, I'd say that's a good deal. The build quality of the cable alone is worth more than a generic. It's like buying a 92 Accord or a 92 Sonata. Both are decent. Both will do the same job. But the Accord is built better. I know which one you guys would choose.

But, if I was building a new entertainment system, I'd be buying the budget cables.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue&Order=PRICE

I would never spend money on a diffrent brand of cable. Cables in my experience have never broken unless they have been pinched or had somthing dropped on them hard. Theres a diffrence between diffrent kinds of cables but not diffrent brands. By the way that link is to HDMI cables from newegg ( best online website ever )

Comment

Digital cables either work or they don't.

cable quality doesn't matter when transmitting digital. this includes s/pdif, hdmi, usb, firewire, etc.

anaglog DOES rely on cable quality.

for example, XLR microphone cable prices range from $10 for a 20 ft cable, to $1000 per foot and more for quality cables. there IS a BIG difference in sound preservation.

speaker cables, rca cables, even power cables, influence clarity in your audio equipment.

HDMI is HDMI... as long as the cable connects properly.

Comment

Ebay been having daily deals on these cables for the past few months, 2 cables for like $6 shipped
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Cheapest!

I got 10 for $40 and sold 1 for $25

My $1 store has them!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Premium-1-3-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Links to my rides :
                      1992 Accord EX*
                      1990 Accord EX
                      1991 Accord SE (4th)
                      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                      1991 Accord SE

Comment

When I got my HDTV, I foolishly bought a cable for $99

Never fucking again.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                          When I got my HDTV, I foolishly bought a cable for $99

Never fucking again.
                          danm what a dum fuck

My sister was a dum one as well and paid what you paid and she still kept it cause she felt like she got a deal lmao

Links to my rides :
                          1992 Accord EX*
                          1990 Accord EX
                          1991 Accord SE (4th)
                          1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                          1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                          1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post

How long have you worked there and how close are you to your store manager?

Just about every cable cost under $10 to make, the 2 end connectors probably being the most expensive parts. I know because I used to work for best buy as well and was friends with my store manager, so he told me about how all the accessories were over priced and that's what they make most of their money from.

The cheapest printer cable costs like $30 from best buy, but only costs about $5 to make. Your discounted price would be around $10.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

they have everything home audio and visual is concerned when it comes to cables and such.
                              the best prices and shipping i've ever seen, bought from them many times...

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
                              DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Working...
                              X