Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the military has once again compromised my personal info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the military has once again compromised my personal info.

Back in 2006-2007, a DOD civilian took home a government laptop and had it stolen out of his house. It had the personal info of like 345k servicemembers on it to include SSN, DOB, address the whole 9.

It wasnt a huge deal because in the end they recovered the laptop and decided that whoever stole it didn't know what they had in their possession and they could tell that the records had not been accessed. Its been quiet since.

Today i recieve a letter in the mail that a NYNG contractors laptop was stolen from a conference room with around 120k National Guardsmens info on it. Same deal.

This time im not so sure the person who stole it is oblivious as it wasnt stolen from a private residence but a conference room in a secured building.

So now i gotta put a credit fraud alert on my info and do all this shit.

As much as a i love technology i hate it equally.

I don't like that people just randomly have your info and by means of their stupidity(The DOD Civilian was not suppose to have that laptop at his house) or by random acts of fucking lowlife thieves that my info is just out their ready to be raped and sold.

Whatever i guess but it really fucking infuriates me. I take special precautions not to make my information available to anyone, i shred all reciepts and i tweak my filters on Facebook and i don't add lots of info to the internet and etc and in the end it could end up being a waste of time.

/rant.

Nothing is perfect, unfortunately. I don't know what can be done to make it better. You are/were in the national guard? How does that work exactly? I've been considering enlisting - weekend warrior sounds good to me

DOD computers should be heavily encrypted... that's what'd help.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

what is the need of having so many peoples info easily vulnerable like that? and cant they offer any assistance being military?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Damn.

There probably isnt much you can do about stuff like that, is there?

Lady Gaga....

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Ralphie, I thought those laptops had trackers? Like GPS on them?

The TV's at the local Applebees do..

Comment

i got that letter too

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
              Damn.

There probably isnt much you can do about stuff like that, is there?

Lady Gaga....
              whats wrong with Lady GaGa/?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                whats wrong with Lady GaGa/?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  LMAO!

Yea well i don't care if she is a herm but her music and style is kind of refreshing. Im curious to see what she does in the future.

Comment

Yeah, I dig her music as well. I don't care what she has in her drawers, because I'm not trying to get in em!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Yeah, I dig her music as well. I don't care what she has in her drawers, because I'm not trying to get in em!
                      eggzachleee

Comment

Working...
                      X