PC woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC woes

So my sister and I got a new flatmate a couple of months ago, and the last couple of weeks she has been ripping music from limewire which is OK (on my sisters PC)
    Only, yesterday she downloaded some songs and when opened, brought up a whole lot of spy/adware. So what did she do - keep closing them and reopening them over and over.

Now her PC turns on and won't seem to allow anything to be done, The Hdd light is in idle state.

Started it in safe mode and ran:
    Ad-ware
    Spybot S&D
    IObit 360
    Advanced system care

All programs picked up multiple items, but no change to normal startup.
    I'm currently running it in diagnostic startup and it running fine.

There are no unusual startup items (via looking in msconfig) So I'm confused.
    It won't let me do a system restore either.

Any ideas on a GOOD program that might pickup this (I'm assuming a worm or trojan) fault.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Im not really good with removing the virus and keeping windows the way it was. What i would reccomend is downloading a windows vista anytime upgrade disc on the internet. Back up all her files then boot up the windows disc ( not from within windows ). From there you can format the hard drives and reinstall the operating system with her cd key from the side of the computer. Put the files back on and everythings all good. I have done this many times and trust me the computer will run alot better then it did when it was new. You wont have any of the bloatware and other shit on it slowing it down. By the way i reccomend AVG anti virus, its free and it dosent slow your computer down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      Im not really good with removing the virus and keeping windows the way it was. What i would reccomend is downloading a windows vista anytime upgrade disc on the internet. Back up all her files then boot up the windows disc ( not from within windows ). From there you can format the hard drives and reinstall the operating system with her cd key from the side of the computer. Put the files back on and everythings all good. I have done this many times and trust me the computer will run alot better then it did when it was new. You wont have any of the bloatware and other shit on it slowing it down. By the way i reccomend AVG anti virus, its free and it dosent slow your computer down.
      (It's running XP)

I can do a reinstall and backups with no issues, I've done it many times on my old laptop.
      However shes save things in weird locations so even though I might fix the PC I get bitched at cause I lose some of her files

Other weird thing is on mine I've always been able to do a system settings restore from the disk.
      Hers is an Acer and won't give that option, its do nothing or reinstall everything . . . Damn corporate companies!!

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Try avast.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-...tPopTwoColWrap
        Last edited by d112crzy; 08-16-2009, 02:39 AM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
          Thanks, just dl'ing it now

Edit: Won't work and neither will AVG as they both need internet access. Dammit
          Last edited by evil_demon_01; 08-16-2009, 03:44 AM.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

get malwarebytes as well. i cleaned a girls pc and it had over 1k infected

Comment

You can't do safemode with networking?b

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

You've already done everything that I would normally do.

Check the pirate place.

Comment

try running it in safe mode and gettin avg antivirus and spyware. its always worked out 4 me .. also try going into the hard drive and deleting suspicious looking files.

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Comment

Is it a laptop or a desktop. If its a laptop why not just take it to a starbucks or somthing to get internet? How the hell was she downloading music anyways if it dosent have internet?

Comment

It did have internet, now It won't connect (to router) and the LAN connection has dissappeared in network connections.
                      It won't let me add a new connection either (even in safe mode)

I think tonight I'll try make mine the Host computer and see if I can get hers on the net that way by linking them together.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Check for rootkits with GMER Rootkit Detector. Some of those rootkits can stay hidden from your antivirus software.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Just out of curiousity did you try running system restore? It might get your internet connection working again, and give you a chance to clear out that crap.

CCleaner, Malware Bytes, AVG, Spybot, Stinger, Combofix, CWShredder, TrendMicro (Online free scan), MS Malicious Software Removal tool, AdAware, Nod32, Hijackthis, are all apps I use to clean PCs up.

Make sure to dump all your temp files, and if necessary (after trying it to restore internet connectivity) disable system restore. Clear out your Java Cache, too.

Uninstall any apps you can that aren't supposed to be installed. Run antivirus apps until you find nothing, then go to the spyware stuff, then to adware and malware. CCleaner goes through and deletes registry entries, so be careful with that, and backup the registry (it will prompt to do so).

Comment

when i suspect my pc of having a Trojan, i open Firefox and go to Trendmicro and run Housecall. just set it up as you're going to bed because if the hard drive is full like mine it'll take several hours to complete the scan and removal.

if you cant connect to the net with a normal bootup because of malware, restart in "safe mode w/network" via msconfig.

Comment

Just got home now, Found that it had disabled the ethernet pci card, hence why there was no internet access.
                              Just DL'ing a couple of the programs mentioned now, So Hopefully I'll have some results in a few hours.

Thanks guys

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                              X