X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
    pick up a cheapie 4th gen fbody and theb get a wrecked z28 or formula

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
    for 2Gs including cost of the car? maybe a 3rd gen Fbody would be better for my budget.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say 3rd gen. Those things were (and still are) abundant... and beat to hell, so they'll be cheap!

The 3rd gens are reputed to do REALLY well in autocross for some reason, too. Even though their suspension setup is pretty archaic.
      What if you got a 3rd gen F body and dropped a boosted 4 cylinder in it? Set it far back in the bay to keep the weight in the middle... If they handle well, you might have yourself one hell of an autocrosser.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Yeah, I'd say 3rd gen. Those things were (and still are) abundant... and beat to hell, so they'll be cheap!

The 3rd gens are reputed to do REALLY well in autocross for some reason, too. Even though their suspension setup is pretty archaic.
        What if you got a 3rd gen F body and dropped a boosted 4 cylinder in it? Set it far back in the bay to keep the weight in the middle... If they handle well, you might have yourself one hell of an autocrosser.
        A 3rd gen F body handling well? He better dedicate $500 to adding trusses across every possible load direction

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I've read repeatedly that they do well in autocross... I've checked out the suspension, and I don't get it... but that's the story!

A lighter 4 cylinder, set further back in the bay, would be a very interesting thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
            thanks for the links!... reason why I am thinking turbo is because usually it is a better hp/dollar ratio but idk I'm still undecided so I may go NA too.... LT1 in a light RWD chassis (rx-7), would be so badass. I need to do more research on SBC

found an FB shell for 300... FB = 25+yrs old = no emissions requirements in PA = I do whatever I want lol
            you have to remember, you need useable horsepower. sure you can get 400hp and put it into a light chassis but every turn you'd be coming out sideways.

in a race, slower is faster. spinning tires (most of the time) is losing time on a track. the only time it would be beneficial is if the turn was a sharp 180 degree turn and you enter in at a higher speed, pitch it and come out faster.

with a turbo you still need all the tuning and the kit itself. out of a 350, you can easily get 350hp.

you can also just go with a carburetor so you wont have to deal with electronics. fuck all the sensors and computers. I think there is only three wire hookups. choke, oil pressure and temp sender.
            Last edited by wed3k; 08-15-2009, 02:59 PM.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              A lighter 4 cylinder, set further back in the bay, would be a very interesting thing to do.
              400rwhp turbo D16 in a Camaro with lots of lightweight parts and a curb weight of ~2600lbs... That would be something to see for sure... I wonder what I would have to do to bolt up the camaro tranny to a honda engine... custom mounting plate for sure... anything else lol

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              you have to remember, you need useable horsepower. sure you can get 400hp and put it into a light chassis but every turn you'd be coming out sideways.

in a race, slower is faster. spinning tires (most of the time) is losing time on a track. the only time it would be beneficial is if the turn was a sharp 180 degree turn and you enter in at a higher speed, pitch it and come out faster.

with a turbo you still need all the tuning and the kit itself. out of a 350, you can easily get 350hp.

you can also just go with a carburetor so you wont have to deal with electronics. fuck all the sensors and computers. I think there is only three wire hookups. choke, oil pressure and temp sender.
              agreed, good points. yep, I've thought about just going carburetor to save money.... even with a turbo lol

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                400rwhp turbo D16 in a Camaro with lots of lightweight parts and a curb weight of ~2600lbs... That would be something to see for sure... I wonder what I would have to do to bolt up the camaro tranny to a honda engine... custom mounting plate for sure... anything else lol
                Figure out how to make the D16 turn the other way lol
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

fox mustang svo, faster than a 5.0 and handles better
                  FA1

Comment

mid 80s bmw 325i with a 5.0 bmw v12 from the 850i swapped in

Comment

Have you thought about a 240?

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                      "The Turtle"
                      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

87-89 camry. Boost it, and leave the rest of the money for suspension and tires. You'll need it.

GRM 200x challenge is absolutely no joke. The competition is TOUGH.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                          Have you thought about a 240?
                          people want too much money for them. i think i would spend 2Gs just for the car

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                          87-89 camry. Boost it, and leave the rest of the money for suspension and tires. You'll need it.

No, I mean since they can build badass cars for 2Gs, why can't I build something badass with a similar budget... but I don't want to compete, just doing this for fun.

Comment

Maybe a dragster with an F22A for power. You would have to make literally everything for it and you couldn't drive it on the street but it could possibly be done on the cheap.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                            "The Turtle"
                            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post

the camry is garbage for handling, i had one and i drove the shit out of it and i think i even drove it so hard into a corner, i rolled the tire
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

if you looking for a pass time, i would say buy whatever car you like and build it as a race car....
                                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Working...
                                X