Looking for ideas for a $2000 car build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ideas for a $2000 car build

I am thinking about starting a new project....

Just trying to get some ideas about what my options are with a ~$2000 budget. I've heard about Grassroots Motorsports (i think that is what it is called) challenges where people build cars for $2000 including the cost of the car.... so I thought why can't I do something like that too? (just for fun though)

I know I could pull off a turbo Honda with 2Gs including the cost of the car... but I want to do something unusual and/or something I haven't done before.

my ideas so far:
    1. Turbo 5.0 Mustang.... would it be possible to pull it off with only 2Gs?
    2. Accord either 3rd gen or CB with a swap that has never been done before... doesn't have to be a Honda engine... I have been thinking about building a RWD Accord but I just don't have all the tools for that right now.
    3. 1st gen CRX with some kind of Honda V6 engine...

I am just looking for any ideas at this point, I really don't know what I want to do.... I would like to build something with a V8 because I've never owned muscle... but I don't know much about them, whats a good bang for the buck... etc
    Last edited by rexload; 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM.

For 2 grand, anything along the lines of 2 and 3 are going to require lots of fabrication skills. If you can do that stuff yourself (or have someone that will do it for free), then go for it. If not... you'll never do it for 2 grand. If someone could stuff a J series V6 into a CB7 for 2 grand, it would've been done quite a few times already!

The 5.0 mustang, boosted, for 2 grand... maybe. But I don't know if it'll last a week. Decent 5.0s usually sell for $3000+.

How about a V6 Camarobird with a turbo or supercharger? The engine is related to both the Grand National and the FWD supercharged Buick/Pontiac cars of later years. Bolt on the stock goodies from one of those cars, which I'm sure you can get cheap, play with fuel management, and you're set. Upgrade from there... as things break.

Comment

Gen II F-body with a JZ engine in it. Monza with a Honda motor. 2g's is a little tight on the budget. Maybe a Gen III Accord with an H or turbo F22A.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

The JZ engines cost more than 2 grand unless they're stolen or broken.

The 3rd gen Accord has a rear crossmember that won't allow the F or H motors to fit without creating a full tube frame in the front.

rexload, what are your skills, and what do you have available to you? I can't weld and I don't have a garage... so in my position, anything that isn't a direct swap would ALWAYS cost more than 2 grand!

Comment

Well I learned something, from seeing his civic thread he can weld and has a shop.

"The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

That's true. While there are (or were) kits to put the F/H motors into a Civic, I'm sure they aren't around much these days.

So yeah, welding and a shop... it all depends on his skill, and the cost of materials.

Comment

If you could find one, a first gen Civic. Why not put this money toward building a motor for the Civic?

"The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

N600 with a CBR motor in it

Comment

2K build is tough

I'm thinkin FC RX-7 w/a blown up motor, and a Ford 305 + tranny. No it will not be a world class sports car but we are talking about a $2000 budget here. You might even be able to get some goodies for the motor too. And it won't handle like complete trash.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Honestly, as far as RWD and budget builds go, domestics can't be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      For 2 grand, anything along the lines of 2 and 3 are going to require lots of fabrication skills. If you can do that stuff yourself (or have someone that will do it for free), then go for it. If not... you'll never do it for 2 grand. If someone could stuff a J series V6 into a CB7 for 2 grand, it would've been done quite a few times already!

The 5.0 mustang, boosted, for 2 grand... maybe. But I don't know if it'll last a week. Decent 5.0s usually sell for $3000+.

How about a V6 Camarobird with a turbo or supercharger? The engine is related to both the Grand National and the FWD supercharged Buick/Pontiac cars of later years. Bolt on the stock goodies from one of those cars, which I'm sure you can get cheap, play with fuel management, and you're set. Upgrade from there... as things break.
                      N600 with a CBR motor in it
                      Honestly, as far as RWD and budget builds go, domestics can't be beat.
                      I do not have a shop, I am in college right now and working on cars is just a hobby. That is why my budget is only ~$2000. I do have access to a big garage now and I can weld. I made custom engine mounts for my Civic, I am also comfortable doing any type of exhaust work, wiring, ecu tuning, etc. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do myself is make custom axles.

I would do a J series into a CB but like you said it would cost much more even if I did all the fab work myself.

I like the V6 turbo Camaro idea. I am guessing those engines are pretty strong stock since they are related to the Grand National... I honestly don't know anything about them...

Putting a bike motor into a light Honda chassis also sounds interesting... I would be confused about axles/shifter though... How complicated do you think it would be?

Comment

I think the old N600 motor was pretty much a bike motor... so it might be fairly straightforward. Every time I try to buy one, the seller never responds... They aren't all that easy to find anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                          If you could find one, a first gen Civic. Why not put this money toward building a motor for the Civic?
                          first gen Civic looks cool but I want something that I will feel safe in at high speeds lol
                          and Idk, I've thought about building a motor for the Civic but I think I should be happy with it for now. I'll worry about the motor when it blows. I was told that stock F22s can take much more power than what I will have.

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                          2K build is tough

I'm thinkin FC RX-7 w/a blown up motor, and a Ford 305 + tranny. No it will not be a world class sports car but we are talking about a $2000 budget here. You might even be able to get some goodies for the motor too. And it won't handle like complete trash.
                          I've thought about this. I think it would be badass. a V8 FC.... but I mean wouldn't it be easier to just get a foxbody stang? A V8 FC could be cheaper though IF i find a shell for a good price but I'd have to look.. Plus the FC weighs much less... hmmm

Comment

If you're going to drop a motor in an old Japanese RWD sportscar... pick up a 1st or 2nd gen RX7, or an old Datsun Z (those have a TON of support for V8 swaps, actually)

Comment

I was thinking the other day about slapping an F20C into an old 60s Mustang convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X