X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third-gen iPod touch.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/...ophone-source/

Apple Preparing iPod Touch With Camera, Microphone: Source
    By Eliot Van Buskirk July 20, 2009 | 5:45 pm | Categories: Miscellaneous, People

Rumors have swirled about Apple readying a new version of the iPod Touch with a camera and microphone, which, combined with a Skype account, would pretty much obviate the need for a home phone line once and for all.

A well-connected source tells us those rumors are on the money, and that Apple’s factories in China are already manufacturing iPod Touch models with integrated cameras and microphones. An Apple spokesman declined to comment when reached by phone.

If iPod Touches with cameras and microphones go on sale “in two to three months,” as our source expects them to (and which corresponds with our expected timeframe), they will transform the entertainment-oriented iPod Touch line into a voice communications tool wherever WiFi is available.

In addition to these voice-over-IP capabilities, which should have telephone providers quaking in their boots, the microphone (and camera) would enable the iPod Touch to understand voice commands, capture video and images, and work with a wider variety of programs in the App Store.

(Plus, as some Wired commenters have suggested, one could combine a microphone-equipped iPod Touch with the Verizon MiFi personal hotspot creator to enable — at long last — the iPhone experience on Verizon’s network.)
    Discuss...

I fucking want.

i guess i'll hold on on buying an Itouch then. i mean if that's true, it'd be moot to buy the second gen this late into the game.

Comment

So you can use your ipod touch like a phone?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        So you can use your ipod touch like a phone?

Yes, if you have wi-fi.

Comment

Eh, I'll hold on to my 1st Gen until the prices go down.

But, this one does sound really F*ing awesome.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

You can use Skype with an iphone (and ipod touch, i'm sure...)
            Free calling (totally off topic, but i thought it was cool )

Comment

that thing is basically an Iphone minus the antenna for cell towers lol.

Comment

Pretty much. If an iphone had more storage space, or an ipod touch had cell phone abilities... there would be no difference!

Comment

I used free voip on my second gen iTouch with Apple's headphones with microphone and used that.

I've had the first and second gen. I'm just that kind of person when it comes to technology like this... Even put my CB to the side for these things.

Comment

Theres 1 problem with the phone part. IT dosent have an ear peice so you either need to use speaker phone or plug in a head set. I have an iphone 3gs so i dont really need this. But i would reccomend it to freinds.

Comment

Second and third gen iTouches have a built in speaker, which is good enough. Want privacy? Use headphones.

Comment

I mean I gusse but I don't like cranking out the headphones just to have a minute long conversation. I only use my head set when i plan on being on the phone for a little while. As a side note the horizontle keyboard sucks I just tried using it.

Comment

id rather have a real phone...what good is wifi while driving??? id rather not search for hotspots...
                          ..[CB7][STAR]..
                          MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

An iPod touch would be better with the ability to load maps onto the memory and if it had a GPS. I got an iPhone because I knew I wanted the web browser when I was AWAY from wifi. If I wax near wifi I would just use one of ny laptops.

Comment

nice. i might get this when it comes out.
                              my daily driver. (AOM June 2010)

"she may not look like much, but she's got it were it counts kid. Made a lot of special modifications myself."
                              MR page

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=76111

Comment

Working...
                              X