Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with this obsession of removing AC and/or cruise control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with this obsession of removing AC and/or cruise control?

I need to be enlightened or something.

I read (much more so here than in Subaru circles) about people removing their AC and/or cruise control. Now, this would be understandable if the car was only used on the track but I know 99.9% of you guys are daily driving your cars.

I can't help but wonder why you bother. I mean, do you really think the minor weight savings makes any difference? I guess it makes sense if its broken and you don't want to fix it but I also know that's not why most of you guys remove these items. Do you enjoy sweating the summer and having foggy windows when it rains? I mean seriously. I'll admit that cruise is a nice luxury when you're on the highway but why not just have it for those times you're cruising on the highway?

Anyway, enlighten me. I can't imagine a DD without AC and cruise...especially the AC!

Well I can answer those questions!

My first sedan it was all stock.. I put the h22 in and I really never used the AC for the 2 years when I had the car with the f22. So I decided to scrap the AC, PS, and CC. I did it for my coupe also.. I drove it daily then I went boost on the coupe and Liked all the space that it left.

However.. while boosting the coupe I needed another daily driver. I bought my sedan. It didnt have anything on it either (from my friend that owned it). Once I bought the sedan the first thing I put was PS. I needed it since my job had me driving a bit more and it made me parallel park more. So that was put on.

I then was going to take a trip down to FL with the sedan for vacation. I put back the AC.. but Since I was taking the trip down I wanted cruise back. So everything went back in and works like it never left..

In other words. My DD sedan will remain with all the stuff. My turbo coupe will still not have that stuff put back. I enjoy the coupe so much that I know I wont ever need that luxury.. going fast and having the windows up helps lol

Comment

I never understood why ppl did that either. Maybe if your car only hits the track then i understand. I'm removing my cruise control cus its broken and i dont feel like fixing it, but to remove my ac thats crazy especially when it blows at 30 degrees lol.

Comment

because that shit is for pansys.

"Tucking tires and wires."
        The Chronicles.

Comment

Because this:

looks better than this:

although this looks best:

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

When my H22 was put in (by a shop... I was an idiot that believed the hype that it was too hard to do myself...) the mechanics said the AC needed custom lines. I found out later that I could just use the Accord stuff. I never bothered.

When I had my Unorthodox Racing crank pulley installed a few months later (again, by a shop... I had not yet learned my lesson...) they put a belt on that was WAY too tight. It was killing the pump, and making an awful noise. So I cut the belt. MRX removed the mounting bolts so he could adjust my alternator belt (it was squealing and irritating the hell out of him while tuning) and we never put them back in... I lost the bolts.

So yeah. I don't give a damn about the .3hp that I may have gained... mine are disconnected because I'm a lazy summabish!

Comment

I still have pwr steering because I'm to lazy to turn the wheel w/o it. The crusie came out because I never used it, even on long trips. The a/c cam out b/c I didn't want to pay 500 bucks for the odd type compressor my CB had.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

So yeah. I don't give a damn about the .3hp that I may have gained... mine are disconnected because I'm a lazy summabish!
                thats me too lol everyone always asked why i didnt hook up powersteering...i just dont give a shit is the true answer!

i now took all the a/c and cruise shit out because it looks better and putting the motor back in was a breeze with it all out.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Oh yeah, I yanked my cruise because I was sick of moving it out of the way every time I worked on something on that side of the car. Plus, I had removed the brain box for it when doing my main relay, and I just never put it back in. I don't like cruise control... I'd rather have my foot on the gas or brake at all times. That button makes lazy, unresponsive drivers. Then again, I'm in NJ... not much use for cruise control here!

The only car I have now with cruise control is my 86 Accord. My 92 Accord no longer has it, and my 09 Fit never came with it!

Comment

I removed my a/c p/s cc, because they never worked at all so I figured its best if I remove it all nad till this day I don't regret it even though I live in Cali the heat and streets doesn't phase me.
                    NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                    DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

because norcal has nice weather...
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        because the bay area has nice weather..
                        Fixed

It was 107 last week where I live, Having the windows down is like having the heater on, I'd die without AC

Comment

Same here. It's been over 100 here all week. I've driven a little over 1200 miles since Monday, the first 2 days were without the a/c, today I drove with it, it was so nice.

Comment

I perfer to find ways to hide it rather than remove it.

thats the way Im going

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

I havent bothered to wire up my manual cc computer..so I just took it out.
                              To-Do List for Today
                              Be Awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X