On my way to become a mech.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my way to become a mech.

I start my intro class at ATC in Coconut Creek FL in a week or so. Just wondering what you guys think about going to school instead of just getting into the trade and working your way up. If you were in my situation what would you do?

Advice, opinions, etc. is all welcome.

it would really depend on the schooling and how well they teach the stuff. you'd rather work on school cars and fuck up rather than customer car's. that way you wont have customers and bosses breathing down your neck.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

From what I've heard, school gives you a bit of a start... but it's still drastically different once you get out in the real world.

The biggest advantage of school is that you learn the RIGHT way to do things from the start. Just working your way up in a shop can lead to lots of bad habits (whcih you'll probably pick up anyway... but at least you'll know the right ways first!)

I'd probably choose school. Just remember that even if you're awesome in school, you're still a noob in the real world. When you finally get a job, don't act like you know everything... or you'll get laughed at.

Comment

i agree with deev. i was in the field and now going to school and things are different. just listen and try and get more hands on than classwork. Know the diagnosis parts real good because that is what you are going to be doing instead of just replacing parts... anybody can replace parts but to know what part to put on and doing it right the first time without the customer coming back is what makes you good.

Originally posted by Devergote
        A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

I say just get into the ASEs.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
            I say just get into the ASEs.
            Why?
            So you can get all the BS jobs at work?
            I say just lay low and get all the Gravy jobs like brake jobs, alignments, timing belts

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
              Why?
              So you can get all the BS jobs at work?
              I say just lay low and get all the Gravy jobs like brake jobs, alignments, timing belts
              lol is that the secrete?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                lol is that the secrete?

lol

Nah but seriously, its good to get your certifications.

Comment

My shop teacher told me something about when you start. Not sure if this is what he said or not, my memory can suck at times. Basically do everything by the book and no short cuts. Keep work place clean. That and work effiecent, my shop teacher said he logged over 80 hrs in a week.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                  "The Turtle"
                  DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

get into diagnostics and the electronics. cars nowadays have over 70 computers and even knowing your basic wiring diagram can help with OBD1 cars.

here's a secret, you can test the components without even taking the component out. just back probe the wire at the connector and ground. you'll also be testing the wiring at the same time *wink* *wink*
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I can read a basic wiring diagram. I just think it's a pain in the ass to follow a diagram when some wires run the length of the car for little to no reason.

The program is called T-Ten and the only time I'm in the class room full time is the first month or two, then it's an internship at a dealer for exp.

Comment

Working...
                      X