Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is everyone who worls at a tire shop retarded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the answer to your question is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      shoulda gone to Discount Tire Co. We fix any kinda tire, whether its a 400 dollar Maserati tire or a 38" Mud Bogger. No charge for patching and plugging, including rebalancing and bolting it on.
      I always ask tire shops not to use air tools because most of them run a really high PSI on their tools, and they like to just hammer away at things and it doesn't take very much for them to do some real damage.

The last time I went to an America's Tire Co (same family as Discount Tire Co) I made the same request. Long story short, they used an air wrench, and they cross threaded not one but two(!) lug nuts so bad that they spun the wheel studs beyond any use. They then refused to do anything about it other than offer to tow it to a shop (where I would have to pay for it to be fixed). After sitting in the parking lot trying everything me and my dad could think of to get the messed up lugs off, I drove the car home on the two good lugs and cut the two they fucked up off with an oxy/acetylene torch and have never gone back. I ended up having to replace the hub because they fucked up.

(It sounds like you work at Discount so just so you know, this isn't an attack or anything, just stating my experience at one branch, and it was 4-5 years ago now)
      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Yeah, go to a real shop and you won't have any problems. The one time in the last 5 years I used a local "crap" shop I had to take my tire back to get it re-patched.

Only reputable shops for me. Completely worth the extra cost and driving distance.

Comment

I've been happy with discount tire...friend of mine from high school works at one...even before I knew he was there I liked the place.

They were polite, professional...and used torque wrenches on each nut
          ____

Comment

i used to work at a pepboys, everyone there was a moron except for me and one of the other tire guys, the rest of the flat rate techs were good. so to answer your question yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
              Last I knew...when you do an alginment on an Accord..all you have to do is adjust the tie rod up front and the lower a arm in the back...
              Like all the Honda techs say, "Set the toe and let it go"
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
                I always ask tire shops not to use air tools because most of them run a really high PSI on their tools, and they like to just hammer away at things and it doesn't take very much for them to do some real damage.

The last time I went to an America's Tire Co (same family as Discount Tire Co) I made the same request. Long story short, they used an air wrench, and they cross threaded not one but two(!) lug nuts so bad that they spun the wheel studs beyond any use. They then refused to do anything about it other than offer to tow it to a shop (where I would have to pay for it to be fixed). After sitting in the parking lot trying everything me and my dad could think of to get the messed up lugs off, I drove the car home on the two good lugs and cut the two they fucked up off with an oxy/acetylene torch and have never gone back. I ended up having to replace the hub because they fucked up.

(It sounds like you work at Discount so just so you know, this isn't an attack or anything, just stating my experience at one branch, and it was 4-5 years ago now)
                yeah we run the lines at like 90 psi, and use 65ft-lb torque sticks after the impact, so that kind of reduces the risk of over tightening. Then we torque the car's to the required torque using torque wrenches.

I can't vouch for the shops where you're at but in my store we have to thread the lugs on by hand for like 3 turns before we put the lugnuts on. Are you sure your threads were in good shape before you went there? sometimes some customer's cars come in w/ them messed up so much, that the only option to even get the wheel off is to break the lugs off w/ a breaker bar.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

yeah we run the lines at like 90 psi, and use 65ft-lb torque sticks after the impact, so that kind of reduces the risk of over tightening. Then we torque the car's to the required torque using torque wrenches.

I can't vouch for the shops where you're at but in my store we have to thread the lugs on by hand for like 3 turns before we put the lugnuts on. Are you sure your threads were in good shape before you went there? sometimes some customer's cars come in w/ them messed up so much, that the only option to even get the wheel off is to break the lugs off w/ a breaker bar.
                  Yeah, they were fine up until then. It was the only place I bought tires for about 2 years (good prices and reasonable service). I was really disappointed with the way they handled it. I heard that a little while after I quit going there that quite a few people got fired all at once, so maybe they were doing some shady stuff, I don't know.
                  1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
                    Last I knew...when you do an alginment on an Accord..all you have to do is adjust the tie rod up front and the lower a arm in the back...
                    yea but if anything else is off, id appreciate it if the tech would tell me aka camber being off.

everyone that posts an alignment issue should post an alignment sheet as well. That way one can properly diagnose the situation.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

shoulda gone to Discount Tire Co. We fix any kinda tire, whether its a 400 dollar Maserati tire or a 38" Mud Bogger. No charge for patching and plugging, including rebalancing and bolting it on.
                      i wanna buy the konig daylites from you guys sooo bad but never have the cash

no
                      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                      $30 HID kits here Thread
                      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                        i wanna buy the konig daylites from you guys sooo bad but never have the cash
                        working for them is kinda cool. They give bonuses every once in awhile. Our last one we got was 250 bucks. Not to mention the huge discount I get on anything. Take for instance tires, I need to replace my 215/45R17s soon, they're at like 4/32nds and was thinking about getting some Yokohama S-Drives. Normal customers would pay about 125 a piece. I get em' for 80 a piece, at cost.

Its a good college job, since I don't have to work full time and the hours are manageable when I am in class. But since its summer, I'm working like 40 hrs a week. I don't plan on making a career out of it but its good for the time being.

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

bleh if i had the experience i'd work there. i hate my current job

no
                          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                          $30 HID kits here Thread
                          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                            bleh if i had the experience i'd work there. i hate my current job
                            I went there w/ zero experience, lol you shoulda seen me, my first day, all I did was take off the same tire and install it on the same wheel for about 2 hrs until I could master it. You'll learn little by little, its kinda like all new jobs, your first day is your worst, and then you get better.

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                            X