Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the options for my perfect car so limited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the options for my perfect car so limited?

Holy crap this is long... Sorry about that! Cliff notes: I want another car. I want sporty luxury with an impressive image. For very little money. I want it to be reliable enough that it won't be yet another project car. Read below for details.
    -----------------------------------------

I've been going through my requirements and desires for another car.

I have the Fit as my work car. It's a mess. It gets beat on. It's a noisy, bumpy, crappy little car. FANTASTIC for what I want it for, but it's my work car. For a 1500 mile per week workhorse that has yet to break on me, and continues to return 35+mpg (even with 200lbs of equipment in it), it's great.

I have the CB7. Awesome for what I want it for as well. It handles well, it's fast, it's fun to drive, it's easy to play with. But it's noisy, bumpy, hot, and full of little problems.

I want something with a bit of luxury. A bit of prestige. As well as some power and handling ability. I want a car that is as enjoyable to drive and ride in for an enthusiast as it is for someone who knows nothing about cars. I want a car that's pretty to look at to a car guy, as well as the old lady down the street.

I want an automotive mullet. A car that looks like it means business, but it really knows how to have fun!

I'm seriously shopping for one more car to round out my collection.

Now, to make things more complicated... I don't want to spend over $8000. I want a manual transmission. I don't want yet another FWD car. And I want it to at least be faster than my CB7!

My options as I stand right now:
    2001-ish Audi S4 with over 100,000 miles.
    2001-ish BMW 330i with over 100,000 miles.
    2004-2005 Chrysler Crossfire with only about 40,000 miles.

The S4 is a twin turbo 2.7L V6, AWD, 6 speed manual. There are PLENTY in my price range. However, it's an Audi. It will have high mileage. It's a turbo motor, and a very complicated AWD system. My $8000 car may need $14,000 in repairs in 6 months! The chance that it was beat on a bit is also present.

The 330i is less likely to have been beat on, as it's not really a performance car. RWD is nice, and I wouldn't even consider the xi model. I'd probably get the ci (the coupe). However, it STILL has high mileage, and it's a BMW... not all that cheap to fix.

The Crossfire is cheap. The mileage is low. It's a Mercedes SLK with a Chrysler pricetag. I have a Chrysler dealership in the family, owned by my stepfather. That means I could get one at auction, and service would come at a discount. However, it's a Mercedes Benz in a Chrysler wrapper... Poo wrapped in stinky poo. I've never had the greatest faith in Mercedes Benz as far as reliability goes, so my low mileage car and cheap service may not be any cheaper to maintain than a higher mileage BMW. Additionally, the Crossfire won't be any faster than the CB7. It makes about the same horsepower, a bit more torque, and it's moving a bit more mass.

Other options i've dismissed:

The Mercedes models in my price range don't thrill me. Mercedes doesn't have enough sportiness, and they're rather bland looking. The only ones I like are WAY out of my price range.

Infiniti doesn't thrill me... the G35 is about the best, but the models that would even come close to my range would be the older, less refined ones. The fancier models don't have a manual transmission option, and they wouldn't satisfy my desire for something sporty.

Lexus is about the same as Infiniti. The IS300 might fall into my range, and I'd probably take it over a G35... but it's still not all that sporty or powerful. And seeing as the engine is shared by other Lexus models and the Supra, parts won't be all that cheap to come by.

Acura has nothing that interests me in that price range. I don't want FWD. I have too many of those. The reliability and comfort are there... but I don't want an Acura.

Lincoln has the LS... I love it, but it's underpowered. Plus, there are too many around here that have been turned into ugly ghetto hoppers... No other Lincoln model comes with a manual transmission, and any Lincoln in my price range may be shaky on the reliability end anyway.

Cadillac... the CTS-V is all they have that I want... but an $8000 CTS-V doesn't exist... at least not without serious damage!

Other things that have been suggested to me that I haven't totally ruled out:
    Subaru Legacy GT - fun car, Subaru's classy offering... but still a Subaru. Not as fancy as I'd like. Yes, I'm taken by the prestige of a luxury brand. And I'm not sure I'd find one I really want in my price range anyway.

Mazda Miata - I keep going back to my Miata. The prestige issues remain... and the fact that I might be tempted to modify it... but it's still a very attractive idea. I'd probably have to find a 2nd gen, as they look much more up to date than the old little pill... even though the little pills were the ones that were the best to drive!

Older BMW M3. I've seen them for as low as $5000. However, anything with the M attached is MONEY to repair! The ones in my price range were the neutered models that the US got. The M3s that really made some power are still way out of my price range.

That's the extent of my thoughts right now. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I haven't thought of? Am I being a total fool for wanting something of this caliber for such a little amount of money?

I don't want a project car.
    I don't plan on any modifications that will degrade the luxury of the vehicle (an ECU chip in whatever I get, if it makes a difference, may be the only mod I'll ever do... I know it'll add about 35hp to the S4...)
    I won't be driving this car for work, and I won't be driving the piss out of it in general. Maybe 1-2 days a week. I'd be amazed if I got anywhere near 10,000 miles in a year on it.

Basically, I want a "nice" car that I can feel good about taking out on dates, business meetings, etc... but with enough sportiness to it that the car guy in me won't be bored to death driving it!

$$

Comment

volvo s40, nissan maxima, saab 9-3....

honestly i like the Lincoln ls. I wish I could afford one

no
      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
      $30 HID kits here Thread
      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

I would go for the s4 or what about the crossfire srt-6 its supercharged. And less work done to it really gives it your money's worth. And has less maintenance issues and less attention from cops too.

Comment

sell all your cars and get a 4 door honda civic si ... the most practical car out and its not a turtle

Comment

Get a Crossfire. SRT like sparkle likes or, not, its not a bad platform for modification.

Fun to drive too.

Basically a Mercedes rebadged as a Chrysler.

Comment

Take it from me, I've worked at parts stores for the last 5 years. Audi and VW's are VERY problematic. Coil issues, Mass air flow issues, ELECTRICAL issues, are just a few. My buddy just blew his turbo on his 05 Golf with 65k miles.

Maximas are nice, but always seem to be a bit overpriced, even for the old ones. Some of the 03-04's are still going for 10k. Seems steep to me.

Subaru's are a BITCH to get parts for, especially on 02+ models. A couple weeks ago I sold a clutch kit for a newer Forester, or Impreza or something and wholesale price on it was 1100 bucks, because it was a dual mass flywheel/clutch setup. Literally a bitch to work on and get parts for. And Subaru's interiors are very modest, there's almost no luxury to them.

BMW, while having a refined interior is super tacky to me. Then again I detest wood grain. By the time you get your hands on a BMW thats got 100k miles, the luxury items you seem to be itching for may not be functional. I sell a ton of BMW parts through a company called WorldPAC, and some of the most common parts I sell are timing parts for the 3 series. They have a very complicated timing setup using 4 guides, 2 tensioners, and a water pump driven by the chain. They're very notorious for failure around 100-120k miles, even though BMW doesn't even recommend INSPECTION of the timing system until 180k.

Again, I really recommend the Crossfire.

BUT - Deev - You're talking about getting a Miata and modding that. Yet the S2K is nowhere on your list. Whats up with that?

Comment

you know you want a mid 90's M3.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

LS400

or

sc300

or

please consider it?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Tsx
                    www.myspace.com/sajunglist

www.bassdrive.com

Comment

He said he doesn't want FWD.

Comment

Fuck it dude. Get a W140 600SEL/S600.

I guarantee it will be all the chick magnet/natural penis enhancement you will need.

Not the fastest in the turns, but it is pretty capable (have to be able to dodge the assassins afterall), it scoots and you can't beat the pull or sound of a V12. Plus, the S600 had a much upgraded interior over the lower level S classes which frankly are built like a 1983 Sentra.

Just hope to fuck it doesn't break.

Seriously though, E36 M3 in mint condish (just pay the little bit above your price range and you won't regret it) or an E46 model. Neither is terribly fast, but they are certainly fast enough, light, responsive and nimble. The E36 M3 is not that bad, as the "neutered" motor was much less complex and was very closely related to the regular straight six.

www.pelicanparts.com

www.bimmerforums.com

Honestly, it is the only car I think that meets all of your requirements. I just checked out a late model C230 Kompressor at the Honda dealer yesterday, and it was small, but not to shabby otherwise. Some of the plastic wasn't great, but it was better than their old stuff for sure. I wasn't afraid to touch stuff. LOL!

BMW 540i or 740i...just make sure they have the 4.4L or have had the engine replaced... those would also meet your requirements.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005 View Post
                          He said he doesn't want FWD.
                          Yeah, apparently, they didn't pass reading comprehension.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                          X