Dandruff Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dandruff Problem

Ok so I take a shower daily and I have used every kind of dandruff shampoo that wal-nart has to offer (clinical strength,head & shoulders,selsun blue, etc.). Nothing seems to be working for me! My hair isnt any longer than 1/2 an inch and I dont use gel or any kind of hair products besides shampoo, so my question is does anybody know of a brand that I havent tried that works for you? Or does anyone have or know a method to prevent flaking? (and no I will not shave my head because its too lumpy to be rockin the shaved look)
    Any info or suggestions is much appreciated!

Originally posted by MDJ-7BC View Post
    Ok so I take a shower daily and I have used every kind of dandruff shampoo that wal-nart has to offer (clinical strength,head & shoulders,selsun blue, etc.). Nothing seems to be working for me! My hair isnt any longer than 1/2 an inch and I dont use gel or any kind of hair products besides shampoo, so my question is does anybody know of a brand that I havent tried that works for you? Or does anyone have or know a method to prevent flaking? (and no I will not shave my head because its too lumpy to be rockin the shaved look)
    Any info or suggestions is much appreciated!
    May not be just dandruff.... May be mild sebhorreic dermatitis (spelling)... Go to a doctor if it bothers you. They have different shampoos and treatments...

Comment

Its weird cuz the flaking I get doesnt seem like regular dandruff, it looks like big pieces of dried skin? or is that what dandruff is

Anyway yeah it does bother me a bit, makes my head kinda itchy and well it doesnt look good walking around with white chunks in your hair, as if Im some kind of dirty person!

Comment

try not washing your hair daily maybe every other day. i heard it works. washing ur hair takes out the oils your scalp needs..u can still probably wash ur junk though

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

I had horrible dandruff problems till i was 19. Around that time i started using shampoo and conditioner instead of just a shampoo and since then I haven't had it. I don't know if it just went away by itself or if the conditioner helps the scalp or not. Get some Tresemme conditioner and see if it helps.
          1991 Cb7 Coupe 5 Speed--SOLD
          2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V-- SOLD
          1994 Acura Legend GS
          Car Pics

Comment

forget head & shoulders, trust me I once knew your pain, til I found T-gel shampoo. I haven't see a flake in years.

Comment

I was diagnosed with sebhorreic dermatitis, or rather, just sebhorreia (but my symptoms were much closer to that of sebhorreic dermatitis). Basically, your scalp just produces more of a certain chemical than it should, and it dries out your skin. For a while, Selsun Blue was working well for me. Now, Head and Shoulders works wonders.

I also realized that the biggest problem wasn't so much the medical condition (which I actually kinda doubt that I have now), it was just that my scalp was dry! For me, regular washing, warm water (NOT HOT... hot dried my head out horribly), and keeping my hands out of my hair fixed it. I'm always running my fingers through my hair, or absently scratching my head... strips the moisture right out.

In the worst case, just shave your dome and use a good lotion

Comment

i too had this problem and i just started to get my hair cut by this guy (2 months ago) and i asked him about it and he told me to take a brush in the shower with me and just brush through my hair while in the shower. so far this has worked for me no more flaking!!

Comment

It could be several things.

A condition, which has been mentioned. You can either see a doctor for that or keep trying.

People with dry scalps should NOT wash their hair everyday. If you have naturally dry hear, then you can go 2 maybe 3 days without washing, and that will help.

In dry climates, such as AZ, it is not uncommon to have generally dry skin. I have noticed that moisturizing the rest of my body with lotion, helps my scalp tremendously because it is the same skin, and all uses the same moisture. I personally, have found that washing my hair every other day works best, because it reduces flakes significantly and my head is less itchy because it isn't as dry. Of course, if I go much longer than that, then it gets itchy anyway because it is too dirty. I wash my hair more if I am sweating a lot. Do you have a dry face too? That could be indicitive of dry skin.

Personally, I would try altering your wash schedule first, then trying moisturizers, then experimenting with conditioners, then getting scalp moisture supplements and then seeing a doctor. But that is just me. Also, like Deev said, try to avoid ridiculously hot water. It feels great, but it does bake your skin.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I found that using much less shampoo works well. I only use maybe a drop the size of a quarter. I also dont take hot showers anymore which helped alot as well. Maybe like once a week massage some moisturizer on your scalp a few hours before you shower so it wont be completely stripped of its oils and natural moisture when you do shower.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                    member ride thread
                    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

I used to have my hair really, really short.. Like a buzz cut. A year ago I let it grow, and ever since i let it grow, i've had bad dandruff/dry scalp.

The thing is when i had short hair, i was used to just applying shampoo, run it through my air and rinse.

Recently, I tried washing my hair differently. I use head and shoulders now AND I wash my hair very thoroughly and rinse for a good five minutes. I have done it for two days and i've notice the amount of flakes has reduced GREATLY. I betting its going to be completely gone in about a week.

Try a REALLY long hair wash... when you do wash it. I wash my hair every time i use gel.. If I dont (rarely) I was my hair every other day..

Good luck! I know how you feel1

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                      Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                      NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLHQ3S-Oq8

replace dirt with dandruff... reeeemiiiix

Comment

cb7tuner.com...it's not just for working on cars
                          ____

Comment

I never really thought about it but, I do have excema on my knuckles and various areas of my skin tend to be dry, isnt excema like sebhorreic dermatitis? or atleast similar to it? Im probably gonna see a doctor and ask them if that could be the cause of my dandruff. Thanks for all the help boys!

Comment

I have the same problem.

I used head and shoulders, and had some fierce dandruff. After reading this thread, I used the same shampoo but I also used conditioner this time, which Ido not usually use.

Today I am flake free!

Comment

Working...
                              X