Question about mountain bikes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about mountain bikes.....

I am looking to buy a mountain bike. I was just wondering if anyone rides and what is a good choice of bike for me. My friend told me that Trek's are pretty nice but I wanted to ask my fellow CB7Tuners.
    I am looking to spend up to about $700. I used to ride BMX when I was younger but I have never owned a mountain bike. What are some of the things I should look for when buying the bike?
    I will be using it for just light trail riding. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
    Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
    My member's ride

Not completely off topic, but check this website out:
    http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/mtb-advice1.html

It's what sisters looked at before going with me, and they said it helped them A LOT.

BTW: I have a Kona Lana'i which is well within your price range.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by Joshs92ex View Post
      Not completely off topic, but check this website out:
      http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/mtb-advice1.html

It's what sisters looked at before going with me, and they said it helped them A LOT.

BTW: I have a Kona Lana'i which is well within your price range.

Wow man thank you for that link. I just skimmed through it right now but I will check it out a little more later on. How do you like your bike? What do you use it for? Got a pic of it? Thanks again bro.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
      Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
      My member's ride

Comment

Colors are different, but same design:

I love it. I made the mistake of buying a Mongoose before this bike, and the Kona is by far the best bike for the money. You can buy them new for around $425.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

For $700 I would probably stick with a hard tail. Its not quite enough money to buy you a good soft tail. Trek is certainly a fine brand. Might also want to look at Iron Horse, Cannondale, Specialized, Marin, Gary Fisher (just to name a few).

Comment

for $700 I would just save it and buy some bbs rs for my cb
            Honestly, I would get a used one from CG for under $300
            1993 Accord LX - Sold
            93 BMW 525it - SOLD
            92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
            2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
            2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
            2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
            2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
            2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

i used to race i owned a giant iguana i paid about 600 for it.. check into giant still see if they are still in business....

Comment

for $700 you could get a sweet gary fisher with disc brakes and maybe even a 29er!!!! the baddest newest tech bikes

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/category/twoniners

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
                DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Dunno if a 29" would the best choice for trail riding though. Of course, that depends on what you define as a trail.

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket View Post
                    Dunno if a 29" would the best choice for trail riding though. Of course, that depends on what you define as a trail.
                    it would be great for trail riding. the larger tires will allow it to clear more than the 26

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
                    DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

I've got a Trek that i on occasion right to work. Light weight too for when you need to carry it like i do when i have to carry it through the store that i work in.

I paid like 400 bucks for it 3 years ago, i'm thinking i should switch out the tires for when i'm riding on concrete for less knobby tires.

too bad you don't live near me. someone dumped a Mongoose mountain bike in my yard. I tried taking it to the local PD but they were closed the day i ran it down to them so it's sat in my back yard for a long as time. It's got disc brakes but you'll want to get new brake cables and a shifter assembly. drive down from where ever and take it if you want it. i'm just sick of looking at it.
                      Last edited by Leung; 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I have one of those specialized rockhoppers. Its a hard tail. It has shimano gears, and its a perfect beginner bike. (fairly light imo too) I do dirt trails around my house, and absolutely love my bike.

Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

My brother and I have Cannondale Bikes... We love them

Comment

What do you plan to do with it? Are you actually planning to ride in the mountains?

I'm looking to buy a good street bike, since I don't think I'll be doing anything off-road. I have 3 bikes now in different states of disrepair... it's just time to unload them and get something quality!

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic View Post
                              i used to race i owned a giant iguana i paid about 600 for it.. check into giant still see if they are still in business....
                              Funny
                              Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

Working...
                              X