3 transmissions and two rear diff in 2 months = me in the poor house :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91 View Post
    Yeah, it is a common failure. I've done my research on it. I knew that when I bought it, but it drove so great and showed no signs of any issues.

As for the diff going out 200 miles later, I got to look at it after they pulled the ring/pinyon out and it was completely evenly worn all the way around. It just looked like a wore out gear set that had 300,000 miles on it.

The truck does have the trans cooler. I have looked into upgrading the trans pump because that is also a common cause of failure and the issue I'm dealing with now. I may go ahead and get an upgraded one and have that installed when this trans goes in.

At least it's the bulletproof 5.9L and not the other crappy sludge box motors that are known to fail commonly.

I've got so much dumped into this thing right now that I'd totally lose out selling it. I'd be better off getting the trans right and keeping it.

When I do tow the teggy, it hardly seems like I'm towing anything. The torque and towing power of this thing is what I do like. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or sell it yet, but I'm probably gonna end up keeping it.
    Seeing the diff after it breaks though isn't the same as verifying before it breaks.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

good point, but if it wasn't aligned properly then there's a good chance there would be uneven wear marks. Not a totally acurate way of figuring out the cause but it gives you a general idea. It actually seemed like it was made of softer metal or didn't temper properly. Just a guess though

My Accord History:
      91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

good point, but if it wasn't aligned properly then there's a good chance there would be uneven wear marks. Not a totally acurate way of figuring out the cause but it gives you a general idea. It actually seemed like it was made of softer metal or didn't temper properly. Just a guess though
        I am thinking more what Cisco said though. They either didn't clean everything properly, or the preload was too high. I would take his word for it, you have a DANA axle, and he works for DANA on axle engineering type stuff.

Comment

tou che

point taken

My Accord History:
          91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Same deal with my GMC Sonoma...never again....

Unless it's a corvette or something

Comment

GM products are good truck wise. There medium to heavy line not there light trucks even though the colorado is an alright pickup but I wouldnt use for anything heavy duty. If I were to buy an SUV or anything from dodge it would be there diesel pickups. Technically they are not dodges just pickups badged as dodges. They are strong trucks and can tow anything you want. Dana spicer axle/joints, Cummins diesel motors, etc... I want to get a Dodge 2500 quad cab if I can find one in my price range with the tow package and six speed. I have never really been a fan of the durango. We have an awd one at our old school shop the transfer case gave out and would occasionally pop into random ratios not fun. Honestly there are some good american vehicles you just have to look for them. Old silverados are good pickups to tow things in =D or tahoes they are so easy to work on its not even funny lol.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

It only made that horrible noise under partial throttle like feathering the gas pedal to maintain a set speed. So I was already more than half-way and the sound didn't worry me too much since it went away under load so I just drove the rest of the way to FL.
                A grinding noise coming from you rear end didn't worry you too much... That's when you stop right there, call the shop that "fixed" it, MAKE them tow it back at their expense and either demand your vehicle be repaired right or they refund all of your money and they pay for a new more qualified shop to fix it.

I'm sorry man but if they fixed it, it should ride like it's from the factory no excuses, and if your spending on the rental of like 2K plus waiting for them to bullshit their way into your wallet isn't enough for them to have a different shop fix it, then you should start looking into a lawyer.

I REALLY hope you get it all working right. If you do decide to sell it show the receipts and try and get your money out of it.
                Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Is your Durango Automatic?

You might want to check out allpar, they cover Quick fixes, troubleshooting, and common problems that this truck and others have.

this section explains the Transmission problems and maintenance.
                  http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

also make sure on what kind of parts the shop is using to rebuild your
                  tranny/diff.
                  "If you get your trans done at an aftermarket shop what you are charged for the Taiwan parts is most likely pretty close to the dealer price for the mopar gears."
                  !!!!Quotes were quoted from allpar!!!!

This is highly recommended.-
                  "The advice I have for anyone getting their trans rebuilt is - go to the local dealer and buy a front carrier (planetary gear) and rear carrier (planet or planetary gear). Bring them to the shop and insist that they are put in. Make sure the dealer sells you the one with the hardened spline -front and the 5 pinion rear. All the aftermarket is saturatedwith parts from Taiwan. It's like the difference between Snap-On and Harbor Freight."

I dont know if you already found the allpar site,
                  but just in case you didnt, I say you check it out.
                  http://www.allpar.com/fix/
                  Cappuccino CB7 Member #4
                  FoDough fo moreho
                  [FuNKiE FrEsH]

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                    Did you go to the dealership or some other shop to do the work because if thats the case. The shop probably sent it in to get rebuilt and pocketed the money. You should have went to a more qualified mechanic to do the work.

Its not the car thats unreliable its the maintenance done by the mechanic who put in the workmanship that will determine on how long it will last along with the parts used. You get what you pay for.

Thats what happens when you dont do the work yourself or take it to someone who knows what they are doing. If not you will be taken for a ride.
                    Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere
                    Damn Old Dirty Gas
                    Eater
                    Dead Old Dog Going East
                    Dead On Day Guarantee Expires
                    Dead On Delivery, Go Easy
                    Dead On Delivery, Guarantee Expired
                    Dead Or Dying Garbage Emitter
                    Dear Old Dads Garage Experiment
                    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Comment

on a serious note I looked at the reliability ratings for durangos. They appear to be somewhat average.

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/dodge/durango/2004/

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...ango&trimid=-1

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/durango...tid=ik16231730

I looked around a bit. Acculude and quitit seem to be dead on. The chysler auto's aren't exactly stellar to begin with. They seem to fail consistantly averaging similar life spans.That is to say not long at all.
                      Last edited by Fake Thug; 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Well i guarantee that someone somewhere else had an integra they bought as a daily and is having just as much trouble as you.

It's going to happen. people get lemons.
                        My dad's 4x4 Turbo diesel ram 3500 has gon from west palm beach to Mt. Pocono penn. around 20 times in the last year. And im not kidding.
                        The entire time towing a 2 car ramp trailer(40ft i think) empty one way and with mostly drag cars or seat-less filled to the brim with random shit for his move the other.

He hasn't had to do a thing to as far as repairs.
                        Take it all in stride.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                          Well i guarantee that someone somewhere else had an integra they bought as a daily and is having just as much trouble as you.

My dad's 4x4 Turbo diesel ram 3500 has gon from west palm beach to Mt. Pocono penn. around 20 times in the last year. And im not kidding.
                          The entire time towing a 2 car ramp trailer(40ft i think) empty one way and with mostly drag cars or seat-less filled to the brim with random shit for his move the other.

Take it all in stride.
                          You can't compare a Cummins to a gas engine Durango. Different engine, tranny and axles.

Also, the automatic Cummins aren't entirely immune from problems either, and they are typically much tougher than your average Dodge gas truck, simply because the gas engine trannies suck.
                          Last edited by owequitit; 03-14-2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post

Take it all in stride.
                            Such a unfair comparison...lol 6 speed? Thats is a completely different animal imo if you are tallking about the CTD.

Comment

Got a Silverado with 308k miles on the original motor and 200k on the tranny. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                                A grinding noise coming from you rear end didn't worry you too much... That's when you stop right there, call the shop that "fixed" it, MAKE them tow it back at their expense and either demand your vehicle be repaired right or they refund all of your money and they pay for a new more qualified shop to fix it.
                                Like I said, the noise went away under load which to me meant that the rear wasn't on the verge of exploding. The shop was closed, and it was a Sunday and I had to get back for class again on Mon. I did call the shop owner the second it started making noise and let them know. We split the shipping 50/50 and all repairs were covered 100% under waranty. They used OEM parts and not the cheap imported stuff.

thecrow7841 - Thanks for the allpar link. I spent some time checking it out. I really don't feel like dropping more $$ into the durango than I have to but I may have a few things on the trans changed out before it goes it.

Fake Thug - I think "Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive" applies the best to mine And I knew the ratings before I bought it but the price was right and I drove it and it had no signs of issues. Shoulda known better

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
                                X