Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last issue of SCC.

Did anyone else buy it?
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

I got it as apart of my subscription. I am soo a pissed that they shut it down and left Modified Mag standing. the last issue was written almost entirely by Jay Chen and Andy Hope because the rest of the staff was either already let go or spiteful about the eminent layoffs. the ONLY good thing is that Hope and Chen got jobs at modified mag as senior editors and will hopefully bring some intelligence to that Uber fad JDM numbnuts mag.. my first issue of modified which they are now sending me instead of SCC has a fucking lime green civic hatch with fucking pink rims...this is the exact shit i hated about honda tuning mag. SCC had substance. I just CANT believe it

Sport Compact Car Magazine FOREVER!!!

-sean
    Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
    Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Man, that's upsetting! I don't even read it... but it's one of those magazines that was just always around.

I guess I should get used to seeing familar names becoming a part of history... that seems to be the way things are going (I'm still bummed about Circuit City...)

Comment

There honestly isn't much of substance in it. I bought it more for sentimental value than anything.

I have somewhere around 10 years worth sitting around here. Oddly, the magazine was from before there really was a huge Sport Compact movement. You will never make me believe it was the circulation volume that was the problem. Of course after they were bought by a big media house, the big media house probably expected big circulation to continue.

They blamed the decreasing import trend in the editorial, but the magazine really died when Scott Oldham was editor and all they worried about was rally. It was seriously 3-4 years of solely WRX's and EVO's. Back in the day, they had all sorts of stuff, from old Datsuns, to JDM EF's, to full blown 10 second Supras. The best parts of the mag were the tech articles, and the fact that you saw actual real people's cars in there. Stuff that regular people could do. I also always liked the project cars, which IMO was what all other projects ultimately came to be based on.

Then, they just went rally and STi/EVO and it was ghey. They were cool cars and all, but that wasn't the only thing in the market. Sadly, they started to recover towards the end, but it was too late. Import Tuner, which was always far crappier and more trendy had already taken over as #1. It is one of the multitudinous reasons I have a person vendetta against both of those cars.

Comment

i read scc when i was thinking of getting a neon for my first car. they had a pretty cool project neon.

ive rode in some fast evos, but its nothing to get your jollys off. ive rode in gtps that would eat them alive for hallf the cost.

sad to see this magizine go, i never could find a good tuner magzine, i just read motor trend

Comment

thats what i hated about it, it was way too heavily concerned with rally coverage. and i really couldnt stand when all mags basically did away with anything that had an H badge. im a car enthusiast but generally when modified i like the way the honda scene is over something like the nissan scene or even the suby/evo crowd.

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

I still enjoy Super Street. My subscription ran out right as Johnny Wong took over as the big cheese there, so I haven't really seen what has changed... but I like Wong, so that should still be a good read.

They're not incredibly technical, but they seem to understand that a magazine is NOT a technical text. It's made to entertain, to be read quickly, and to keep you company while you drop your good side.

Comment

is it just me or did the honda scene start it all?

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post

ive rode in some fast evos, but its nothing to get your jollys off. ive rode in gtps that would eat them alive for hallf the cost.

not to sure about that, it takes almost nothing to make an evo all but untouchable on the street. and a few of the older evo's can be had relatively cheap.

The Chronicles.

Comment

the first evo i ever rode in had all hks upgrades and it was fucking scary

Comment

hmm scary bad? or scary fast?

The Chronicles.

Comment

scary fast like 95mph in what seemed to be a 100feet or less
                        the 2nd one i rode in was a white mr, and he cut it sideways at 50mph in a biglots parking lot

all i said getting out was fuck that shit

Comment

lol.

The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                            thats what i hated about it, it was way too heavily concerned with rally coverage. and i really couldnt stand when all mags basically did away with anything that had an H badge. im a car enthusiast but generally when modified i like the way the honda scene is over something like the nissan scene or even the suby/evo crowd.
                            Yeah, I can't complain completely about that, because really, that is where Honda Tuning came from. In fact, the original Honda Tuning stuff came out of SCC.

But it just irritated me that ALL they literally covered was those two cars. Like I said, nothing wrong with the cars, I just got tired of reading them 24/7. That is when I let my subscription lapse, which was odd, because I used to read it cover to cover when I got it. After that, I just couldn't justify the subscription, because some months were good, and some were still just garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                              I still enjoy Super Street. My subscription ran out right as Johnny Wong took over as the big cheese there, so I haven't really seen what has changed... but I like Wong, so that should still be a good read.

They're not incredibly technical, but they seem to understand that a magazine is NOT a technical text. It's made to entertain, to be read quickly, and to keep you company while you drop your good side.
                              SCC wasn't overly technical either. They used to have good information in the project car sections that you could apply to your car, and they generally had fairly basic technical info that more people should read like how engines work, how dampers work etc. Stuff that you could use to help setup a car. Kind of like GRM without the sole focus on road racing I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X