Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I swear I'm not supposed to own a Durango!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I swear I'm not supposed to own a Durango!

I bought this 2000 Durango w/5.9L V8 and 4x4 back in late Sep. I've only had it a 2 months now. In that 2 months, I've had 4 semi-major things happen that are making it seem like I'm just not supposed to have this Durango or that it's not supposed to be in good condition.

1. Maryland MVA (DMV) issues. When I bought it, I got 30 day tags to hold me over until I could get it inspected. They were good from the end of Sep until the end of Oct. Well, I dropped it off at a shop to get inspected on one of the last days of the month in Oct. The shop didn't inspect it that Thursday it sat there that Fri as well and didn't get inspected. Then it sat over the weekend and didn't get inspected. So Monday rolls around and I get a call from the shop saying they can't inspect it now because the plates have expired! They expired on Sunday! So then I got stuck in a catch22 because the shop won't inspect it without proper plates and the MVA won't give me plates without the inspection! I just got fed up and drove down to VA and registered it there instead.

2. It was bumped into in a parking lot while I was busy working. Dented the drivers side rear door. Nothing too bad but enough to notice. Of course there was no note and I don't know of any witnesses so it's a typical hit-and-run situation

3. I wrecked it! Hit a concrete wall doing about 30 mph or so. There no frame damage, but the front passenger side is pretty messed up. About $600 in parts to fix not counting the paint job. I ordered parts, but I still gotta do the work and paint when it all comes in.

4. And finally today, I got rear-ended! I was leaving work and sitting at a stop light. There was a Wrangler behind me. I'm guessing he was slightly easing off the clutch and not paying attention because he lightly tapped the back of my Durango even though he had already come to a complete stop and we were there about a min or so before he hit me. No real damage, but a little paint is missing from the rear bumper and it got one small gash in it too. I got out and looked and saw that damage and since the thing is already gonna get painted from my accident listed in gripe #3, I just told the guy not to worry about it and to pay more attention next time.

I think something else is going to happen too in the very near future. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just have a bad feeling. Done ranting for now

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Wow, that sucks! At least you're able to fix stuff like that.. Just think... once you replace the parts and paint it, you'll have a nice, shiny Durango!

Comment

our durango isn't bad! just threw a code for egr emmisions system leak..
      but if was a hose i replaced =]

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

i would roll out of the driver's door clenching my neck and be yelling, "THE PAIN!!!! THE PAIN!!!!!"

get some money, people are so gullible too.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

lol shoulda got teh grand cherokee 5.9! lol well hope you get it all worked out. inmagine all that in a cb the car woule be totaled prolly
          1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
            Wow, that sucks! At least you're able to fix stuff like that.. Just think... once you replace the parts and paint it, you'll have a nice, shiny Durango!
            for a while hopefully. good luck
            My cb7

h22a
            5-spd lsd
            Lord, grant me the serenity
            to accept the things I cannot change,
            the courage to change the things I can,
            and the wisdom to hide the bodies
            of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

So I was driving to FL for some training and about an hour north of Atlanta, the rear diff. blew out! It went very violently at about 70-75mph. The whole thing jumped and shook like crazy. I thought the driveshaft fell out and I drove over it! lol I tried 4wd and the front wheels still worked so I drove it off to safety and had it towed to a shop. I then had to get a rental car to make it the rest of the way down to FL since I was on a time limit. The rear diff got fixed with some upgraded parts for $1600. But when the shop went to go test drive it, it would not shift past 2nd gear Draining the trans showed lots of metal chunks Guess what, the diff blowing out so violently also took out the trans Another $2k got added to the bill. I'm supposed to go get it next weekend. I've been paying on a rental car this whole time too. So this wonderful experience is setting me back about $4500. That's more than I paid for it!!!!

I'm going to hold onto it anyways. The trans and diff are the weak points of these Durangos and now that they've been changed out it should be good to go for many years. The 5.9L motor is a rock-solid beast so hopefully I don't have any issues with that. Since I'm dropping all this money into it, I think I'm going to fix all the body work, add some running boards and paint it too. Then it should be a nice looking, solid running daily driver/tow truck which is all I wanted in the first place.

I decided many years ago never to buy another american vehicle and went against that. I guess this is what I get for going against my own word.

My Accord History:
              91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
              X