The best thing to happen to the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing to happen to the internet

I searched and I'm surprised no one has posted this yet!

This is going to be the next biggest thing to the internet since....the internet was invented!

As technology progresses the lines between computers, phones, ipods/zunes, cameras, and other things become blurred. The technological structures and protocols used to make these devices work is also starting to kinda merge and be very similar on many levels. Well, this is going to bring it all together!

Let me start out by saying that ALL phone companies, ISP's and power companies are focused on one thing- The CHEAPEST way to deliver their product so they can maximize their profits. With that said, this technology will save them all a lot of money and allow them to distribute their products to areas they currently cannot reach.

Lets start out with the technology used for individual houses. Did you know they have internet refrigerators, microwaves, networking devices, cable tv, coffee pots, and phones that hook up to the internet through your house POWER OUTLETS?

Here's a few examples:

and there's even more stuff out there too.

Imagine having a refrigerator that has a barcode scanner inside. As you pull items out to to prepare food, the scanner scans them. When you get low on beer...or food... the refrigerator automatically sends a message to the local grocery store telling them what you need and then a pick-up or delivery is scheduled. Or, as you pull something out that needs to be cooked, the refrigerator contacts the microwave or oven and lets them know what you are about to cook. They then automatically set themselves up to cook the food properly according to the directions on the package. Or, as you pull items out to cook, the refrigerator hops online and downloads recipes using the food items you pulled out and what items you have available (using the barcode scanning feature to create a database of items you have) and displays them on a monitor to give you cooking ideas. Or imagine being at work and remembering that you left the coffee pot on! That's OK, just hop online and connect to the coffee pot and turn it off remotely from work. Same thing about the lights in/around your house. Control them through the internet anywhere! How about your devices that automatically run diagnostic testing on themselves and notify you and the repair man when they stop working properly or are starting to get out of spec. Just image getting an email -
    "Hello Mr. Hayden,
    This is Mr. Coffee your coffee pot. My heating element may be going bad soon. It has been showing a decreased resistance which could indicate possible failure or could burn out the thermal switch or cause other damage. Please replace it at your earliest convenience. I have automatically downloaded the manual for this model from the Mr. Coffee website so that you have all of the technical specifications necessary for the job. Please click the link below to automatically order the part necessary to fix this problem.
    http://www.mrcoffee.com/manual.pdf
    Thank you and enjoy your coffee!"
    Or, how about networking computers in your house. No more running cables to each device and no more slow wi-fi connections. Plug each computer into the electrical outlet of your house and presto, they have internet and are networked with the rest of the computers in your house and at a speed of about 200mb/s or greater vs 54mb/s with wi-fi plus added security of not transmitting personal info wirelessly. No that gives your computers the possibility of interacting with all the other devices in your house as well like the coffee pot, refrigerator, lighting, tv, etc. These are just examples that I can think of right off the top of my head. The possibilities are basically endless!!!! ANYTHING that can be plugged into an electrical outlet in your house can be programmed to do certain functions and can be controlled remotely from anywhere! JUST THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND!!!!!!

As incredible as that is, there are current limitations. As of right now, you still have to have a separate internet connection from an ISP using their cabling system. The internet connection gets fed into the power lines WITHIN your house. The second one is phone service, you still need the phone company to setup phone service separately using their cable system (except for VOIP but I won't get into that here because that works off your internet connection). The third is limitation is cable because you still need the cable company to setup your cable using their cable system. Plus, you already have your power lines run to the house. So that's basically 4 separate connections using 4 separate underground or above ground cable systems (unless you have consolidated services). The smart devices in your home can still work with this, but there's a much better way to handle this which would save the phone, ISP, and cable companies money because they can use the power companies cables, and would save the power companies money because they can "rent out" their cables to the other companies. Eventually, you will be able to get ALL 4 (phone, internet, cable, and power) from the single power line that's already running to your house!

I've looked into this quite a bit because I found it fascinating and think it's going to change the way we use the internet and all electronic devices! It can be a little technical on how it all works, but I'll try to explain it keeping it simple:

Look at any electrical device you have. The label should say something like "110vac", "120vac", or "240vac @ 60Hz". The power they consume is in the lower frequencies "60Hz". The power cable run in your house is actually capable of working at many frequencies, so your cable tv signal would work in a higher frequency range such as 1-4kHz. The your internet and VOIP phone would work in the 6-12kHz range. That leaves other frequencies open to be used by other things and also allows some padding between the frequency ranges so they don't interfere with eachother. This is known as FDM or FDMA (frequency division multiplexing or frequency division multiple access). The #'s I used above are kinda arbitrary, but it gives you an idea of how it works. The speed of the internet depends on how large the frequency range is that it is allowed to use. I can explain this in more detail if you care to know...just ask. This is all realistic and do-able with the wiring already in all of our houses!

The next step is to get the ISP, phone company, cable company, and power company to join forces in making this widespread. Imagine the rural locations that currently have zero options for phone/internet/cable except the plain-old telephone service (POTS) and possibly satellite. Now they would be able to have fast internet, cable tv, and VOIP service instead of the POTS.

There's a lot more to it than I explained, but ask or do your own research if you have any questions. I swear it's going to be the next biggest thing to revolutionize the way we use electronic devices, the internet, computers, and how we shop and basically everything! Apparently Google feels the same way - http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...powerline.html

The technology has been around for a while, but it's not in mass production for the consumer market yet for whatever reason. Just be on the lookout for it. It's only a matter of time before it becomes the "new standard".

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

our power grid is so outdated that it could never support such functions. if we had a modern set up i would belive that we could run internet through our outlets, can you imagine the energy bill if all your shit connected to the internet 24/7.
    Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMadness View Post
      our power grid is so outdated that it could never support such functions. if we had a modern set up i would belive that we could run internet through our outlets, can you imagine the energy bill if all your shit connected to the internet 24/7.
      It doesn't consume power. Obviously, it has to use a different frequency than your standard 60hz AC power, but it's basically just using your copper electrical wire as a conductor, rather than a dedicated network cable.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

This is also a little frightening... I mean... Big Brother, anyone?

Or worse... some hooligan might hack my fridge!

I've always had the dream of having my house and cars completely wired, though. In just 10 years or so, the world has been completely revolutionized by the internet. I started in 1997, just slightly behind the beginning of the AOL craze.

Since then, CDs have become nearly obsolete. TV has become nearly obsolete. The telephone has become nearly obsolete. (the rule is now IM, text, call, THEN knock...)

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
          fake
          Not at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

http://motorola.motowi4solutions.com/solutions/bpl/

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bpl.htm

http://news.cnet.com/Broadbands-powe...3-5780316.html

http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/glo...roadband_1.pdf

unless Google, IBM, Motorola, and handful of other fortune 500 companies are all lying to us. It's is very real and will be in your home soon enough

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
          It doesn't consume power. Obviously, it has to use a different frequency than your standard 60hz AC power, but it's basically just using your copper electrical wire as a conductor, rather than a dedicated network cable.
          Thank you for the explanation. I'm glad someone got it

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post

Or worse... some hooligan might hack my fridge!

I've always had the dream of having my house and cars completely wired, though. In just 10 years or so, the world has been completely revolutionized by the internet. I started in 1997, just slightly behind the beginning of the AOL craze.

Since then, CDs have become nearly obsolete. TV has become nearly obsolete. The telephone has become nearly obsolete. (the rule is now IM, text, call, THEN knock...)
          First of all, I'll hack your fridge and make it order some beer from the grocery store so when I come to visit you got a case or two waiting for me.

Second, I'm sketched about too much control from big brother as well.....but knowing what I do about the internet, networking, electronic devices, and what it would take for big brother to keep track of it all....it should not be a concern. It's just not realistic for all of that info to be tracked.

And your dream of having everything wired might come true sooner than you think

My Accord History:
          91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

a quote from IBM:

The new technologies operate in the 1-to-30 MHz
            range. The current technology delivers 45 Mbps and
            it is anticipated that the next generation will deliver
            200 Mbps to the transformer. Capacity on the lowvoltage
            network between individual homes is shared.
            Integrators are engineering their networks to provide
            25 Mbps on average per home passed. Data transmission
            rates are symmetrical, so download and
            upload speeds are equivalent, unlike the asymmetrical
            digital subscriber line service.
            If you're lucky, you get a 16Mbps cable line now. Most are in the 3-10Mbps range for cable & DSL. So they're saying that's going to jump up to 25Mbps! We should all be happy about that! Right now, the only common way to get speeds close to that is a T2, T3 (E2,E3 in Europe, and J2, J3 for Japan) or higher and I don't know about you but I don't have $500-1500/mo++ to put towards internet.

another quote from IBM...the first line in that pdf file:
            Every continent in the world is about to deploy BPL. Can the
            United States afford to stay out of the game?
            just think about it the possibilities....that's all I'm saying

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Sounds like Honda Multiplex.

I can see privacy being invaded too though . . . And some of the systems sound like Microsoft windows lol:
              "I have automatically downloaded the manual for this model from the Mr. Coffee website so that you have all of the technical specifications necessary for the job. Please click the link below to automatically order the part necessary to fix this problem.
              http://www.mrcoffee.com/manual.pdf
              Thank you and enjoy your coffee!"

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

ha, that was my own little spin on it just to point out possibilities. I don't think that actually exists...........yet

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

it's been around for a while. net over power has been, I mean. i think it's pretty much rubbish though. Good idea but come on, wtf. internet coffee pot... if you want connectivity, go blue tooth.
                  My Car
                  FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

this technology has been around for SO many years, its been implemented in homes in the past, its only recent that its gaining more attention only because more devices are requiring internet connections, and running cat5 all over your house is going to be inconvenient.

this is not fake at all, but not really new...

interconnected appliances has great room for usefulness and convenience, but by the time we have self aware coffee pots, id bet that we would have even better methods of linking them, instead of through power outlets.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

By the time we have self-aware coffee pots, we won't be drinking coffee anymore.

Comment

By the time we have self-aware coffee pots, we won't be drinking coffee anymore.
                        By the time we have self-aware coffee pots, we won't be doing jack shit. Still, I'd rather see such technological giants try and develop more useful things than automated, networked coffee pots.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

yes, it is nothing new, but as far as the general public is concerned, this is totally new technology.

So I went a little overboard on my coffee pot description, but that doesn't take away from the tons of useful possibilities this can be used for!

Wait till all the kinks are worked out and the technology progresses even more!

Look at fiber optic cabling. When it came out it had lots of bugs to work out, was super expensive, was not installer friendly and had a speed not too much greater than a T3 which has proven to be a solid choice for businesses for years. A couple years go by and the price drops, the multiplexing technology improved, and the speeds and installation methods have improved greatly so today we have a stable 10gbps fiber cabling system and they're testing some that can go up to or over 100gbps. That's insane speed!!! I'm hoping that broadband over power lines plays out the same way. I'm also hoping the internet devices within homes advance properly as well. Give it 5 or 10 more years and we'll see where this is at.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

My thoughts exactly....

Comment

Working...
                            X