No announcement yet.

Hey how do you guys feel about the saturn redline and the cobalt ss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobalt SS=new civic. Every cat and their mother seems to have one.

Ion Redline=Beautiful styling (I love it at least... I think it's a GREAT LOOKING car) and I believe it's fairly quick as well.
    "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
    Disregard females, acquire currency
    BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

They are built like garbage. The interior crappiness is right up there with Mercedes Benz and my 1983 Nissan Sentra.

At least GM acts like they are trying, but in the end, they are still substandard.

P.S. I would NEVER have a 2 year old car with a consistently leaking sunroof that the dealer won't fix and consider it to be anywhere near a "well built" car.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

yeaaa, i think i'll keep my teggy, thanks.
        峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
          I heard some of them dealerships have good lawyers. Alot of times When i go to the dealership for service i tell it to em like this either we do it my way or we can take it to court.

After that they never fucked with me. I always speak to my boy who does parts and service and the maintenance and they get my car fixed for free. But i heard other delaerships are brutal. I think the main reason they fix my car for free is to just snoop around or go peelin down the block when im not there just stuntint in my shit on the low. Then when they are done tehy put it back like okay his cars good like it never happened.

They sure do. An If that dealer is in the Sonic Corp. haha your fucked!! They have some of the best lawyers money can by. B/c They are use to being sued they are noting more then the shit that comes out my ass!!
          R.I.P Rex 10/10/97-08/06/09
          There aren’t enough words in this world to say how much you will be missed. love you buddy!

Comment

My friend has a regular Saturn Ion... it's a pretty crappy car. The Redline looks cool, and has some power... but it's still an Ion. I'd be iffy about it. Pre-2004 GM designs are pretty weak.

The Cobalt is basically the same car. I've never driven one. Only sat in an SS at the auto show. I liked the feel of sitting in it, but overall... it's a Cavalier. They changed the name, but the Cobalt is what took the Cavalier's place as GM's cheap 4 cylinder model.

I'm not a huge fan of the factory souped up econoboxes... of course, you being an SRT4 fan, Mike, you may have a different opinion! You have a greater appreciation of the changes a company can make to a cheapie car when they soup it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
              Faster than a lot of cars you wouldn't expect...around VIR's full course that is. Car and Driver did their annual Lightning Lap where they bring out a large array of cars and try to do the fastest lap they can around VIR to test their true all around speed. One thing to note though, the tests were all done on stock alignments, stock tires, and manufacturer recommended tire pressures.

Below is a list for the Cobalt and below it what it beat around VIR...and there are some heavy hitters in that group. This further confirms that the Cobalt SS is the real deal, if only the car wasn't American with it's wonderful build quality and amazing looks. When will the Japanese manufacturers step up to the plate?

LL1 CHEVROLET COBALT SS TURBOCHARGED 3:13.0
              LL2 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION MR 3:13.3
              LL2 BMW 135i 3:13.7
              LL2 LEXUS IS F 3:14.0
              LL2 AUDI S5 3:14.6
              LL2 HONDA S2000 CR 3:15.0
              LL2 DODGE CHALLENGER SRT8 3:16.3
              LL2 LOTUS ELISE SC 3:16.6
              LL2 INFINITI G37 SPORT 3:17.5
              LL2 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI 3:19.0
              LL1 DODGE CALIBER SRT4 3:20.8
              LL2 VOLKSWAGEN R32 3:21.8
              LL2 HONDA CIVIC MUGEN Si 3:24.8
              LL1 VOLVO C30 T5 VERSION 2.0 3:26.6

Full Story: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_2008_feature

Full Results Chart: Scroll down to bottom of first page for Downloads: Results Chart

It should be noted that it's also the new Cobalt SS... the 260hp turbocharged one... and not the 220hp supercharged one from previous years (which is the same as the Ion Redline)

Comment

they both suck, i would take my 18 yr old accord over both of them. i drove the ss it pulls pretty hard, but nothing close to what i thought it would be.
                UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

The new one is an alternative to the Mazdaspeed3... though I don't think it's all that much cheaper. I'd take the Mazda over the Cobalt.

The Cobalt SS has now replaced the SRT-4 as the domestic turbo 4 sport compact to get. The Caliber SRT-4 is a joke. I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the neon!

Comment

To be quite frank, I don't trust any American company with a turbocharged production car. Even Plymouth Laser's and Eagle Talon's send bad vibes sometimes...although I haven't had a problem with mine yet. I know domestics are half-assed....might as well be built in China with their sub-par and toxic materials with no control over production
                    VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                      To be quite frank, I don't trust any American company with a turbocharged production car. Even Plymouth Laser's and Eagle Talon's send bad vibes sometimes...although I haven't had a problem with mine yet. I know domestics are half-assed....might as well be built in China with their sub-par and toxic materials with no control over production
                      Lasers and Talons are running Mitsubishi engines. Chrysler had some input in the rest of the design, but all the important parts are Mitsu, I believe... engine, suspension, transmission...

The old Chrysler Turbo I and Turbo II engines were decent... they were a little underengineered, though. Not very good for performance modifications. GM's turbo 3800 found in the Grand National and turbo Tran Am was absolutely fantastic. Ford's turbo 4 found in the turbo Mustang and Merkur xr4ti was also a superb engine.
                      The SRT4's original engine (the turbo Stratus engine from the Mexican market) has proven to be pretty stout. How many H22s did h22sparkle blow up? How many SRT4 motors has he blown up? The new World Engine in the Caliber SRT-4 is interesting. Hasn't been around long enough to really say... but I have a feeling it will be pretty decent. A variant is in the EvoX, and I'm pretty sure a variant is also in the Genesis Coupe. I wonder what Mercedes Benz is going to do with it (they're part of the "world" that designed it)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                        Lasers and Talons are running Mitsubishi engines. Chrysler had some input in the rest of the design, but all the important parts are Mitsu, I believe... engine, suspension, transmission...
                        I know they use Mitsu engine/tranny/etc. But still....it's a freakin Chrysler, you know? There really aren't many Chryslers that are worth...well, anything. America can build a jet that stays in one piece travelling at over 4,500mph yet we can't build a car that stays in one piece travelling at a measley 120mph (I'm talking unmodified production car)
                        VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                          I think these cars are nice has anyone driven them ? And what were your first impressions? im about to buy my girl a neon shes grown to love the neon. But I wouldnt get her an srt4...well atleast not yet.
                          LOL.. weren't you the same one dissing the cobalt? I remember it was a thread that I started started. Owequitit deleted like 75% of it because it turned into a cobalt vs neon pissing contest..

Comment

Older American cars were better. As soon as the fuel crisis hit, and the new emissions standards took effect, the imports hit the American makers HARD. The Germans and the Japanese offered better quality, better efficiency, and more "car" for the money.

America has always made a decent truck and decent luxury cars... but now that the imports are bringing SERIOUS luxury cars (Germany has been for a while... Japan is now capable of full-on luxury as well), America's luxury car market has dwindled. Hell, most of the new Lincoln modes are FWD, or FWD-based AWD.

I would still take a new CTS-V over a LOT of the other cars on the market! I'm considering one, actually...

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Thug View Post
                              LOL.. weren't you the same one dissing the cobalt? I remember it was a thread that I started started. Owequitit deleted like 75% of it because it turned into a cobalt vs neon pissing contest..
                              Mike dissed turbo and talked me into NA. Then he went turbo, and dissed NA. He continued to dis every model that wasn't his CB7. Until he sold the CB and got the Neon. Then he dissed all imports, especially Hondas. When you accept the fact that in h22sparkle-world, whatever h22sparkle has is the best thing ever... life is easier. He IS one of the most enthusiastic enthusiasts I've ever met, though... and for that, I give him all the credit in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                                My friend has a regular Saturn Ion... it's a pretty crappy car. The Redline looks cool, and has some power... but it's still an Ion. I'd be iffy about it. Pre-2004 GM designs are pretty weak.

The Cobalt is basically the same car. I've never driven one. Only sat in an SS at the auto show. I liked the feel of sitting in it, but overall... it's a Cavalier. They changed the name, but the Cobalt is what took the Cavalier's place as GM's cheap 4 cylinder model.

I'm not a huge fan of the factory souped up econoboxes... of course, you being an SRT4 fan, Mike, you may have a different opinion! You have a greater appreciation of the changes a company can make to a cheapie car when they soup it up.
                                Where do you get your info deev? The cobalt is a considerably better car than the cavalier with a MUCH better engine and it sits on a complete different Gm global platform. The jbody was dead 4 years ago.
                                Last edited by Fake Thug; 11-15-2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X