I think it's time for a new tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's time for a new tranny

My synchro just got worse yesterday. Now every time I shift into 3rd, it grinds a bit.

I know with my Durango, when I drove it in 4WD - even with power steering - turning was more difficult. Is it the same with the LSD? I don't have power steering, so I'm weighing my options. It's been so long since my car had power steering, I'm concerned I may have to completely replace the power steering section if I want to have PS again.

How hard is it to pull the tranny without pulling the entire motor?

not off topic

I know with my Durango, when I drove it in 4WD - even with power steering - turning was more difficult. Is it the same with the LSD?
    It is not like that at all

How hard is it to pull the tranny without pulling the entire motor?[/
    easier and quicker then pulling the whole motor

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
      My synchro just got worse yesterday. Now every time I shift into 3rd, it grinds a bit.

I know with my Durango, when I drove it in 4WD - even with power steering - turning was more difficult. Is it the same with the LSD? I don't have power steering, so I'm weighing my options. It's been so long since my car had power steering, I'm concerned I may have to completely replace the power steering section if I want to have PS again.

How hard is it to pull the tranny without pulling the entire motor?
      its not really hard at all to turn the wheel with no power steering. Just make sure the wheels are in motion when your are turning the wheel. If you cant do that you must not be eating your wheeties lol.

And not its not hard at all to remove the tranny from off the motor at all. All you gotta do it jack the car up then jack up the motor and the tranny just a little to get the weight off the bolts that hold the motor in place.

Its just easier to do it that way leave the mount on the drivers side on . The front and rear mount you have to take off aswell as the tranny side to get the tranny out and to help the motor pivot downwards to make clearance for it to come out.

After you losen the bolts and pop it off the shaft thats holding itself in the side of the motor clutch components.
      If your going to get another tranny if you wanna work with that one you got and you dont plan on changing it send it to get rebuilt by gearspeed. They do wonders.

Comment

Cool. I put this thread in off topic instead of putting it in tech and having someone bitch about it. lol

I don't have power steering right now, I'm used to that. I just wanted to know if having LSD made turning even more difficult.

I'll probably rebuild the tranny myself. Would be good for me to learn, and fun for me to accomplish! Not to mention cheaper!

Comment

isnt lsd made for more grip on turns anyways? i love my lsd (get your mind out of the gutter)

no
          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
          $30 HID kits here Thread
          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

oh btw if you pull the tranny, good advice is to pull the speed sensor out. i had a hard time gettng the tranny clear the frame when i installed it.
            1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I'm reconsidering GearSpeed. I may just buy the parts myself and rebuild the transmission that way. Seems to be cheaper, even if only about 600 bucks cheaper. I need to learn more about how the aftermarket LSD functions on a non-LSD housing, and how hard it is to get the parts in there correctly. Seems to be a precision process!

Comment

Cool. I put this thread in off topic instead of putting it in tech and having someone bitch about it. lol
                Why would someone bitch about a thread in the proper section? If the question is too noob-ish, then the beginner forums work well for that!

Dropping the tranny is a pain in the butt, but it can be done without pulling the motor... and yes, I'd say it's quicker and easier to do it that way. You need to lower the motor some, though.

Comment

A properly working LSD tranny makes no additional effort at all. It also shouldn't clunk around turns or anything like that.

It is absolutely 100% worth the money though. I wouldn't even consider a regular tranny now than I have an LSD.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I'm reconsidering GearSpeed. I may just buy the parts myself and rebuild the transmission that way. Seems to be cheaper, even if only about 600 bucks cheaper. I need to learn more about how the aftermarket LSD functions on a non-LSD housing, and how hard it is to get the parts in there correctly. Seems to be a precision process!
                    Nah mane consider it youll have your tranny back within a week with a warrantee all lsd'd out . The shit will look shinier than your motor with no issues everything celaned and replace itll look like new. With a 5 year warrantee who could ask for more.

Comment

I know dropping the trans on a swapped B16 civic was easy, but then again it was cable clutch.
                      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                        Nah mane consider it youll have your tranny back within a week with a warrantee all lsd'd out . The shit will look shinier than your motor with no issues everything celaned and replace itll look like new. With a 5 year warrantee who could ask for more.
                        I was under the impression they did NOT have any warranty because the transmissions were designed for race use.. ?

Comment

Working...
                        X