My CPU took a shit....HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CPU took a shit....HELP!

ok recently my wife and I noticed that our computer would just shutoff and automatically restart. It sometimes happened when someone is using it or when its just on with no one using it. I googled the prob and saw some statements about it possibly being the power supply but it could also be a virus. When it originally started happening i cleaned itusing AVG and Spybot but the prob still exists.

Well, it did a double restart in less than 30 sec awhile ago and now it wont turn back on....wtf??

Can someone help me out please.....im on my phone.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

could be overheating.. if its an old system... dust accumulates and clogs up the heatsink not allowing for proficient cooling of the cpu

Tech way

take off the Heatsink, blow out all the dust between the metal fins and fan.. buy some thermal paste .. apply accordingly.. put back on.

redneck way

goto walmart.. buy canned air.. blow the heatsink good .. see if problem persists..

also might be the Power Supply.. probably a cheepo one that came with the unit so replace with a decent one or quality one.... I can help with that too

* after going back to your post.. seems most likely a Power Supply unit.. if you tell me what brand / model your computer is i can help you find a replacement power supply... just please tell me it isnt a dell
    R.I.P Mulberry Red Pearl 90'ex
    SASKCB7 Tuner

Searching for a CB7, within 1000m of me

Comment

grab a digital volt meter, open the case and get a drive power cable. should be 12volt and 5volt. if u get anything more than a .3 difference, power supply is trying to go out on ya. if u want, i can try and help u further on the phone.

if it wont even try to start, probably the power supply. if the cpu (processor) was dead, it should give u a beep code. if it was just dirty or bad fan, it would start, overheat or get near it and shutdown.

have u had power surges lately? how old PC?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.x View Post

* after going back to your post.. seems most likely a Power Supply unit.. if you tell me what brand / model your computer is i can help you find a replacement power supply... just please tell me it isnt a dell
        please tell me it isnt a big name. alot of the newer Dells, Hp, Compaq made one off designs for their power supplies they can be pricey.

example, 5yr old HP had a junk supply. only could get one thru HP that would even fit the case, it was $280

Comment

talk about a DIY fit..
          SASKCB7 Tuner

Comment

Cleaning out the shit is fairly quick and easy.
            If it just goes from working to blank screen in an instant, then reboots, then I'd highly suspect the power supply as well.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Power supply is a common problem. I replaced a whole lot of stuff before I learned that!

I have a similar problem now, but it's actually RAM related. I have some old pc2100 DDR ram in 2 512mb modules. Well, one of them overheated. Baked the stickers right off of it. Now the other is all I have to work with, and sometimes I think it gets overworked (I run a LOT of stuff...) I get the BSOD and then it restarts like nothing ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.x View Post
                could be overheating.. if its an old system... dust accumulates and clogs up the heatsink not allowing for proficient cooling of the cpu

Tech way

take off the Heatsink, blow out all the dust between the metal fins and fan.. buy some thermal paste .. apply accordingly.. put back on.

redneck way

goto walmart.. buy canned air.. blow the heatsink good .. see if problem persists..

also might be the Power Supply.. probably a cheepo one that came with the unit so replace with a decent one or quality one.... I can help with that too

No it isnt a Dell( not a Dell fan).....I check the brand when i get home, my wife bought it from Aol several years back
                1993 Accord LX - Sold
                93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by kc8enb07 View Post
                  grab a digital volt meter, open the case and get a drive power cable. should be 12volt and 5volt. if u get anything more than a .3 difference, power supply is trying to go out on ya. if u want, i can try and help u further on the phone.

if it wont even try to start, probably the power supply. if the cpu (processor) was dead, it should give u a beep code. if it was just dirty or bad fan, it would start, overheat or get near it and shutdown.

have u had power surges lately? how old PC?
                  I'll look for my volt meter today but I'll try the cleaning tips from Dr.X because the case and fan looks really dirty.
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                    Cleaning out the shit is fairly quick and easy.
                    If it just goes from working to blank screen in an instant, then reboots, then I'd highly suspect the power supply as well.
                    It happens so fast....i would be typing a post and i hear the beep and it just turn off then immediately start rebooting. I'll try the cleaning first. It sucks because I HAD a working computer but my wife insist on using hers because it had alot of programs she needed. Mine was packed in a box but now that shit wont work either(I think she dropped it )
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

My other laptop (Compaq) does the exact same thing of shutting down when it's running a virus scan, or when I'm photoshopping. But it usually shuts down when the scheduled scan runs.

It just pisses me off.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                      Honda Accord Euro-R
                      Honda Odyssey Absolute
                      Honda City I-DSi
                      Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by kc8enb07 View Post
                        please tell me it isnt a big name. alot of the newer Dells, Hp, Compaq made one off designs for their power supplies they can be pricey.

example, 5yr old HP had a junk supply. only could get one thru HP that would even fit the case, it was $280
                        This may or not be off topic to helping Gemini solve his computer woes, but just a general suggestion: if you have a "big name" computer with a failing power supply, it's usually cheaper to just get a new computer case / power supply combo that matches your computer's motherboard form factor. They usually run cheaper than those proprietary power supplies that you've got to shove into the stock case, and generally allow better airflow through your system's components.
                        My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by joshnrosen View Post
                          This may or not be off topic to helping Gemini solve his computer woes, but just a general suggestion: if you have a "big name" computer with a failing power supply, it's usually cheaper to just get a new computer case / power supply combo that matches your computer's motherboard form factor. They usually run cheaper than those proprietary power supplies that you've got to shove into the stock case, and generally allow better airflow through your system's components.

very good info IMO.. if you dont know what "form Factor" is .. its the style of motherboard.. IE pretty much related to the size.. and or configuration of everything on it

Im going to guess its ATX (saying he got this 7 years ago).. possibly mircoATX.. easiest way to check is grab a measuring tape and measuring the mainboard/motherboard.. (the big square peice inside your case) that everything else is pluged into .. A good case that supports atx and has a Good power supply is an antec sonata... probally run you 100$ or so.. havent checked so:/

grab the measurements if you want to fiqure out what form factor it is.
                          Last edited by Dr.x; 09-09-2008, 06:22 PM.
                          SASKCB7 Tuner

Comment

if its the power supply go to newegg.com and they have great prices for their shit. but to me it sounds like the prc has failed or the power supply do you know how to jump the power supply on witout being plgged in this wil ltel lyou if this is the issue
                            h23a3 lxinks

Comment

Working...
                            X