1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Glory, glory to Larry Munson

September 22, 2008 11:42 PM
        Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

Larry Munson, in his 43rd season calling play-by-play for the Bulldogs, is calling it quits.
        The first time I ever heard Larry Munson on the radio, I remember asking my dad why he kept referring to everybody as "we" and "they" and "our guy" and "their guy."

And then there was that gravely voice of his.

I didn't know what to make of him.

He was different, almost irreverent at times, and yet, insanely entertaining. There was a brilliance about him that didn't immediately register with a 12-year-old kid who'd always heard that the best broadcasters weren't supposed to be homers.

Munson was a homer all right, but he was also a treasure. I equate his voice with southern college football much the same way as I do Bear Bryant's houndstooth hat, Howard's Rock and Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night.

Whether you loved Georgia or hated Georgia or could care less, you went out of your way to hear Munson call a game. I can't begin to tell you all the Saturday evenings in the fall when I was on my way back from a game at Clemson or South Carolina and couldn't wait to get in the car and listen to Munson paint a picture as only he could.

Scanning that dial and listening through all the static on 750 WSB in Atlanta was annoying, but it was worth it just to hear Munson.

He's the kind of iconic figure you think will be around forever. Sadly, he announced Monday that failing health will keep him from doing any more Georgia games, which means he won't be in the booth this Saturday when Alabama comes to Sanford Stadium. Munson will turn 86 on Sunday.

I think I probably speak for my generation (all generations, for that matter) when I say there's a real emptiness knowing that I'll never get to hear him call another Georgia game. I was looking forward to seeing him this weekend -- and realizing that he was coming to the end of his career -- wanted to tell him personally how much enjoyment I'd gotten out of listening to him over the years.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, he's as much fun off the air as he is on the air. It's never dull with Munson.

There are so many stories, but one stands above all the rest several years ago during a Georgia-Tennessee game.

It was halftime of a night game, and the line to the men's room in the press box was fashionably long. So, here comes Munson in his customary wind suit, his face more contorted than usual when he sees the line.

Having a limited amount of time before he has to be back on the air, Munson maneuvers his way to the only stall, which is occupied.

In his trademark voice, much the same way as he might call a key third-down play for the Bulldogs, he knocks on the door of the stall and exclaims, "Are you getting close in there?"

I laugh as hard now when I think about that story as I did the day it happened. I just wonder what the guy in that stall thought when he heard that unmistakable voice.

We'll all miss hearing your calls -- Tiders, Vols, Tigers, Gators, Gamecocks, all of us.

You've touched more people than you'll ever begin to know.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by Joshs92ex View Post

Whether you loved Georgia or hated Georgia or could care less, you went out of your way to hear Munson call a game [.......] Scanning that dial and listening through all the static on 750 WSB in Atlanta was annoying, but it was worth it just to hear Munson.
          I'm sorry, I cannot say the same.

I couldn't ride in a car or be in a room that had a UGA game on the radio. Maybe it was the growing up as a Tech fan or having an obnoxious UGA fan as a roomate my first 2 years of college that did it.

But I can understand how this news effects his fans. Just like Uga VI.

Georgia is just the team I love to hate and always has been. But I have noticed this year that I have indirectly supported them by watching every (free) televised game of them this year [but only in the hopes of seeing them lose ], which is probably more than some UGA "fans" can say.

I respect the fans who support the team year after year, have ties to the school, and actually watch the games, etc; but to deck your car out with magnets and stickers and to buy the apparel just becuase of a preseason rank of #1 irritates the shit out of me. (Josh I know you are not one of them, buddy. )

With that being said, I cannot wait for this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart View Post
            I respect the fans who support the team year after year, have ties to the school, and actually watch the games, etc; but to deck your car out with magnents and stickers and to buy the apparel just becuase of a preseason rank of #1 irritates the shit out of me. (Josh I know you are not one of them, buddy. )

I've been a UGA fan since I first started watching football with my dad.
            I have NO clue why though.
            All my friends and family are HUGE Tennessee fans.

I have noticed a lot more UGA supporters this year.
            I don't know if it was because they've been a growing force in the SEC, or if they are just jumping on the bandwagon.

If UGA plays on Saturdays before I get off work, I always bring my radio from home to work.
            I'll definitely miss Munson, he was a great guy.
            I saw him once before a game in Athens when we were eating breakfast.
            People were surrounding him asking him all sorts of questions, and he was very enthusiastic about it.
            He wasn't a bitter old fart who just wanted peace in the morning of a gameday.

I honestly don't think UGA games will be the same without him, but I'm looking forward to the future of UGA.
            Whoever comes in to replace him, knows they have big shoes to fill.
            So, hopefully the next will be as successful as Munson.

I, too, can not wait until Saturday's game.
            In my opinion, it will really show whether or not Georgia deserves to be in the top 5.
            UGA has beaten AL the past 3 years, but last year was a nail biting experience.
            If UGA can get past Alabama, I honestly think they may be able to make it to atleast the SEC championship.
            It is in Athens, so they do have home field advantage.
            But, Alabama did embarass Arkansas 49-14 on the road this past weekend.
            They have big , seasoned guys up front on defense, that are ready to take on the freshman and sophomores of UGAs offensive line to get to Stafford.
            Hopefully he can get the ball to Moreno or throw downfield to Green before the pocket closes.

But, Richt said they have another weapon to unveil for the Alabama game.

Hopefully the players will be pumped up enough with the blackout to pull out a win.
            Last edited by JoshM; 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM.

1999 BMW M3
            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Blackout the tide!!!!!
              [IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/akona21/cb2-2.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I've been a UGA fan since I first started watching football with my dad.
                I have NO clue why though.
                All my friends and family are HUGE Tennessee fans.

[...]

I, too, can not wait until Saturday's game.
                In my opinion, it will really show whether or not Georgia deserves to be in the top 5.
                UGA has beaten AL the past 3 years, but last year was a nail biting experience.
                If UGA can get past Alabama, I honestly think they may be able to make it to atleast the SEC championship.
                It is in Athens, so they do have home field advantage.
                But, Alabama did embarass Arkansas 49-14 on the road this past weekend.
                They have big , seasoned guys up front on defense, that are ready to take on the freshman and sophomores of UGAs offensive line to get to Stafford.
                Hopefully he can get the ball to Moreno or throw downfield to Green before the pocket closes.
                Rebellion! That's cool too. LOL. My current roomate is a HUGE Vols fan win or lose. Their season has been hilarious for me thus far.

Totally agree with you on everything I quoted by you. It will be a true test as Alabama has some positive momentum going for them.

OMG! Last year we had a semi-big get together at my house for last years game (and of course the other games happening). Good times, that was until that overtime victory of UGA. I poured my beer out and went to bed. I was spitting angry.

Moreno is a grade-A badass. I hope he goes to the NFL next year. :crossesfingers:

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart View Post
                  Moreno is a grade-A badass. I hope he goes to the NFL next year. :crossesfingers:
                  Jackass.

It should be an intense game.

A.J. Green vs. Julio Jones
                  Knowshon Moreno vs. Glen Coffee

All 4 are up and coming Heisman canidates.
                  They all definitely have big impacts on games.

1999 BMW M3
                  2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                  2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                  2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

It should be an intense game.
                    We can only hope.

Comment

How 'bout USC getting beat last night?

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

How 'bout USC getting beat last night?

If they don't drop out the top 10, I will be pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by AG17CB7 View Post
                          If they don't drop out the top 10, I will be pissed.
                          They better.
                          IMO they better not be in the top 15.

1999 BMW M3
                          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

They better.
                            IMO they better not be in the top 15.
                            Oh, they're gonna be in the top 15. The poll voters LOVE USC.

Comment

Originally posted by AG17CB7 View Post
                              Oh, they're gonna be in the top 15. The poll voters LOVE USC.
                              They lost to OREGON STATE.
                              But, you are right... they love'm.

1999 BMW M3
                              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Go University of Arizona Wildcats 3-1 Baby!!!!

"click the picture for members thread"

Comment

Working...
                                X