Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So it looks like I'm going to South Africa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it looks like I'm going to South Africa!

Earlier this week I got blindsided when i went to a project meeting and the plant manager just out of no where asked me if i wanted to go to South Africa for three months. Apparently one of our sister plants is having serious quality issues and several plants are sending people in order to get them straightened out. I'm looking at it as an experience for which i can prove my worth and possibly get a promotion in the future. Me and one other guy from work went Friday to apply for our passports already. We will be going to Johannesburg. I have never been on a airplane much less out of the country so does anyone have any travel tips for me? They only thing that sucks is leaving my wife and two year old daughter for three months. Well I just had to tell someone

Well man its good for you. I would see about them relocating your family as well for the time maybe?

but anyway just bring something to entertain yourself. If you have an ipod/mp3 player i would charge it fully and bring it as well as a laptop to recharge it for such a long trip.

I have flown before...its like a smooth roller coaster during take off and landing really. But i didn't get any turbulence either. no worries though. and good luck

Comment

once you get there takes lots of pics of south african accords
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
        Well man its good for you. I would see about them relocating your family as well for the time maybe?

but anyway just bring something to entertain yourself. If you have an ipod/mp3 player i would charge it fully and bring it as well as a laptop to recharge it for such a long trip.

I have flown before...its like a smooth roller coaster during take off and landing really. But i didn't get any turbulence either. no worries though. and good luck
        My family could go but I would have to fit the bill for them, and cash is really tight right now.

I have a creative zen vision M filled with 30 gigs of music ready to go, and we are hoping work will supply us with a laptop.

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
        once you get there takes lots of pics of south african accords
        I'll see what i can do. Everything should be the same except their cars are RHD

Comment

brandon...WTF?!?!?!?
          -Xavier

Comment

for being a newbie traveler i dont tihnk south africa is the best place to start. i still find myself pretty scared to be in certain places of mexico and china.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It'll be FUN. I promise!

Take pics, and remember to enjoy it. You may never get to see it again!

Get a webcam setup for sure, so you don't miss the family so much. Much cheaper than international calling. Skype is decent, too.

Comment

make sure you're up to date on all your shoots/immunizations and all that jazz and bring some for motion sickness or the runs..

Comment

Originally posted by 90_cb7 View Post
                  brandon...WTF?!?!?!?
                  Yeah that was my first thought when the plant manager asked me!! I seriously thought he was joking at first.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  for being a newbie traveler i dont tihnk south africa is the best place to start. i still find myself pretty scared to be in certain places of mexico and china.
                  South Africa was not my first choice in places I would like to go, but it is where my job needs people right now

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                  It'll be FUN. I promise!

Take pics, and remember to enjoy it. You may never get to see it again!

Get a webcam setup for sure, so you don't miss the family so much. Much cheaper than international calling. Skype is decent, too.
                  I'm sure it will be a blast, we will just have to be careful not to accidentally go to the wrong side of the city. My wife and I have discussed a web cam set up, but i have never had one so i have a little research to do.

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                  make sure you're up to date on all your shoots/immunizations and all that jazz and bring some for motion sickness or the runs..
                  My coworker and I have talked about immunizations, but neither of us know what we need for a trip to South Africa??

Thanks for the tips and comments guys I really appreciate the support!!
                  Last edited by RiceKillinSi; 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Talk to your doctor - should be an easy one for them.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/healtha...ccinations.htm

Comment

bring a book or a laptop on the plane to entertain you

and be sure to webcam it up, or skype or something. keep in contact!

and a camera also, i'd take tons of pictures.

it sounds like its gonna be an awesome trip

Comment

dont you need to take shots for malaria before you enter africa?

no
                        Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                        $30 HID kits here Thread
                        "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                        "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                          dont you need to take shots for malaria before you enter africa?
                          My doctors office is closed due to the holiday, but I am going to call them tomorrow and find out what i need.

Comment

Originally posted by RiceKillinSi View Post
                            My doctors office is closed due to the holiday, but I am going to call them tomorrow and find out what i need.
                            so what did they say?
                            -Xavier

Comment

Originally posted by 90_cb7 View Post
                              so what did they say?
                              Well I have 5 shots i need, but they cost $459 and my insurance does not cover "travel" immunizations. So i have to see how my employer is going to pay for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X