Importing NSX-R (restrictions?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing NSX-R (restrictions?)

I was reading on the NSX forums and came across this which seemed a bit crazy

Originally posted by csmeance View Post
    Hi guys,

I was talking with a buddy that used to do car importation from germany (MB's) and we soon started talking about the NSX-R. He told me that to import one in here, we would need to do the following:
    1. add the amber strip to the lights/side fenders
    2. add emmisions items
    3. install a regular nsx steering wheel with air-bag
    4. install regular nsx seats
    5. get a chassis cleaning done
    6. make sure that the saftey bumpers and beams and other items match the ones on the regular NSX, if they are not there, put them on off an regular nsx.
    7. Remove all type - r badging and replace with nsx badging, the wing one can stay, it can be considered an aftermarket add-on since it does not deal with saftey.

He said that by doing this and creating a False NSX, you can import an NSX-R under an NSX name, and add the other stuff back when you come back to the USA. As far as right hand drive, he said that it shouldn't really matter since kids are rolling around with r34's and other cars that are right hand drive. For those who have tried to import one, does this seem doable?
    Is this true? I know importing a car would have to meet your local emissions restrictions but having to replace everything that makes the NSX-R a "type-r"? Why would these needs to be replaced? Seems a bit ridiculous.

I never understand the rules about importing cars, is it pretty much regulated to where you live?
    (I know there are some threads about this...I don't need some PDF document with pages of government text)

Then how is it possible,?
    - "install a regular nsx steering wheel with air-bag".......seriously?
    - "install regular nsx seats"........whats wrong with the NSX-R seats?

I don't doubt the OP but how/why would these be necessary?

So you basically have to buy two NSXs to get one. Guess the R stans for rich driver with too much money.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

Comment

You can look at the VIN and see its a NSX type R
      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
        You can look at the VIN and see its a NSX type R
        Well yeah i know that but that's not what I'm asking.

emissions:

Originally posted by sicarius82 View Post
        Obviously you will be the first owner of the car therefore you will be the original title holder. And since there is no USDM VIN number, you have to fill out the title yourself. *HINT* if you don't want to ever worry about smog ever again, when filling out the title, put Diesel vice Gas. My importer does this all the time for all the cars he imports. Good luck.

Comment

Thats the kinda shit thatll make it illegal to import an NSX R. Did we learn nothing from the Skyline debacle?
          To-Do List for Today
          Be Awesome

Comment

I believe vehicles after a certain year need to have certain features (airbag, rear reflectors, etc.) are required on certain vehicles for them to be legally imported. And then there is obviously good ole emissions standards. Yet another thing that I can't complain about being in Kansas, only one inspection and that is when you initially register the car.

Comment

Originally posted by MadSpleen85 View Post
              I believe vehicles after a certain year need to have certain features (airbag, rear reflectors, etc.) are required on certain vehicles for them to be legally imported. And then there is obviously good ole emissions standards. Yet another thing that I can't complain about being in Kansas, only one inspection and that is when you initially register the car.
              Yeah I need to live somewhere with no emissions regulations.

Comment

well in mississippi we have to go through a state test but its only to make sure your lights and stuff work properly and no cracks in the glass. so i could import one without having to worry about emissions right????? wrong it still has to meat the USA's emissions equivalent of its closest kind. if its a NSX-R it needs to meet the emissions of a regular NSX. thats what my understanding is
                Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

If you have to molest the original car to get it here, I honestly don't think it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Makaveli2k View Post
                    If you have to molest the original car to get it here, I honestly don't think it's worth it.
                    Yea better to get a regular one and buy RRRRR parts for it

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

move to Canada
                      DEVOTE

Comment

You can import whatever. You'll just have to pay taxes on emissions, etc. (I believe)
                        My Car
                        FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
                          You can import whatever. You'll just have to pay taxes on emissions, etc. (I believe)
                          totalllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy wrong

Comment

move to jamaica

Comment

Originally posted by colslaw87 View Post
                              Yeah I need to live somewhere with no emissions regulations.
                              silly, the answer is right in your sig
                              Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
                              Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X